Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just got my cert by email, absolutely delighted to be done. I will print it out but is there also a handy app i can use to show it when asked? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

You should be good - ours were 8:45 and 16:15, I went up and asked at the desk as I'd have to drive back in later in the day and they just waved me through after checking the text. Place was empty at that hour, in & out in less than 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

My wife is a healthcare worker and i've now heard of too many incidents of people who've taken the vaccine having various issues and that now makes me uncomfortable. She herself is having problems which i won't go into here. She has told her employer that she will not be getting a 3rd jab if required in the coming months and there is an increasing distrust in the vaccines and their long term health effects from her colleagues.

There is zero doubt the vaccines work in preventing people getting seriously ill but at what price is now the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you provide any actual evidence rather than unstated incidents?

We should always ask questions. But not based on anecdote - and certainly not unverifiable second hand anecdote. Because any anti vax crank can potentially go into any forum and just invent a partner or health care worker who has allegedly said stuff. Not saying you particularly are automatically such a crank - just saying that that is the only form of evaluation intellectually open to us when a random anecdote is presented on a random forum.

Worse a "health care worker" might sound qualified - but is actually no more qualfiied than you or I to make the determinations required to evaluate the effects of vaccines in this way. Rather they are just normal human beings - just as prone to false pattern identification as any other human beings - and are in a place that is "self selecting" for the patterns involved. The average "health care worker" is not an epidemiologist. And in fact the term "Health Care Worker" is massively vague too. It could mean anything from a neurosurgeon to a doctors secretary.

The problem with vaccines - compounded by vaccine paranoia of course - is that people will have issues. And because they recently had a vaccine their false pattern seeking brain will have a tendency to try to link the two things. Alas much - many - maybe even all of the people in question were going to have those exact same issues regardless of having been vaccinated at all. A certain amount of people for example are going to have strokes every year. If you happen to implement a vaccination program in a given year - then many of the people who have strokes in that year - who were going to have those strokes anyway - will question whether the vaccine caused them. The human mind is prone to that kind of fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

It makes for an interesting read and confirms real world situation. It is being discussed on twitter. DaveKeating EU journo responded to a retweet it, gives out about UK not giving out to US about AZ not being used there. he amongst numerous parts of the media will never admit that their roles in how this whole vaccine scheme (no matter which one) has been poor at best. Just my opinion but many people are not happy with the media hype and slant in stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

One thing to bear in mind is that the anti-vaxxers will be getting more desperate and aggressive as the % keeps climbing, we've seen them trying to overbook pubs and restaurants in the last few days.

If someone comes on saying that they aren't anti-vax or that they work somewhere or have a partner, unless they start bringing proof and evidence, they can be pretty much summarily dismissed as cranks.

The worst are those trying to influence pregnant women, one group that has lots of evidence and lots of safety, a person is truly the worst type of person if they're going out to try and make pregnant women worry more about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

That's true but it doesn't mean the vaccines aren't causing many issues. It's not all "anecdote" either, not that anecdotal evidence can be dismissed either, especially when there is lots of of it.

VAERS data - anyone can post here but you can see trends. The vast majority of people with adverse effects likely won't even post here: https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

Medscape - a site for medical professionals BUT it looks like it's easy for anyone to register. That said, you can see from the posts alone that most people ARE doctors, and if you want to google their names you see they are doctors in the community / in hospitals and clinics: https://www.medscape.com/sites/public/covid-19/vaccine-insights/how-concerned-are-you-about-vaccine-related-adverse-events?src=soc_tw_210209_mscpedt_news_mdscp_conversation&faf=1

• Advertisement

Anecdote has to be dismissed to a point - because as I said those anecdotes would happen without vaccines too. Multitudes of people have multitudes of medical issues every day. They were going to happen anyway. So when vaccines happen to be in effect - people will simply ascribe those anecdotes to the vaccine. Entirely erroneously. So anecdote is poor evidence at the best of times. But it is much worse in scenarios like we have now.

Worse though - the anecdotes themselves can not be verified. There are anti vax people with no anti vax evidence who will simply make up those anecdotes on the spot. This happens all the time. There is one long term boards user for example who - almost regardless of the topic - always just happens to know loads of people who all just happen to agree with him. Discuss sex work he happens to know loads of sex workers. Discuss homelessness he just happens to know all these homeless people. Discuss transsexuals he just happens to know all these transsexuals.

The Open Vaers systems are no better. We can draw zero conclusions form things submitted there until the evidence is processed. For all the same reasons as above - and other reasons too. On another thread a clearly anti vax user did nothing but cite the number of submissions that system has had. As if this number tells us anything at all. It does not. At all. Not even a little bit. The quantity of submissions that system has is - on it's own - a non statistic. It. Tells. Us. Nothing. When I pointed this out he just screamed that I was "arrogant" and ran away from the thread.

All that said however - I am not aware of anyone who is claiming vaccines do not cause issues. Of course they do. We know they do. Any medical intervention across an entire society is going to cause adverse effects. This is an absolute 100% given. And not just in medicine either. If you create any wide spread intervention on any major issue you are going to cause adverse effects. The goal is to ensure the cost is worth the benefit and the negative effects are far out weighed by the positives. And anecdote is not anyone's friend in that endeavour. Again for all the reasons I laid out above.

What the anti vaxxers are failing to do is show that these negative effects are anything other than barely significant statistically - and so their reliance on anecdote real or imagined or invented becomes a crutch for them. Scroll back up to the two videos I responded to today for example. There is nothing whatsoever linking that to vaccines. It is just a video of a sick old man to which the user appended a commend about questioning vaccines. You might as well show a photo of a random eviscerated chicken corpse and say "What about that meat industry huh?". It's absolute desperation nonsense.

But look at some of the anecdotes on the Medscape link you cited. One person got sick months after receiving one and declares they "just recently linked it to the vaccine". That's hardly evidence is it? Not days, not weeks, but months after receiving it they developed an issue which for no reason they indicate in any way whatsoever have simply declared is caused by the vaccine. Talk about making my point(s) for me :) This is _exactly what I am talking about _.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you refuse to go into any detail or back up anything you say then I have no other choice than to believe you're just making this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Assuming what you say is true (and that's a pretty big assumption given what you are saying), the decision to take the vaccine should be based on

"the risk of taking the vaccine vs the risk of not taking the vaccine."

Now, unless you are telling me that deaths from the vaccines in Ireland are circa 5000 plus, then clearly the risks of not taking the vaccine are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Another 52,878 done/reported yesterday. Geohive site updated before hse this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A few random photos and videos with zero context?

Asking what questions?

Time for you to get off the internet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not a single one of the 10-20 people in my family and friends who worked in the health service reported any issues more than 2 days after any dose. A few of them were hesitant beforehand, though.

But considering your attitudes to covid-related things, accusing people who socially distance while walking down the street of treating covid like the plague, makes it hard for me to take anything you say seriously. Histrionics...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A completely avoidable scenario emerging in the US where they are having to reimpose restrictions on everyone because of the lack of vaccine uptake. It's interesting how businesses are beginning to openly mandate vaccinations in their staff, I think patience is in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I work with alot of people. Not in a healthcare setting but that shouldn't matter because my point is I work with alot of people, same as your wife works with alot of people.

Alot of people I work with got the vaccine. Not one of them had issues. Some had side effects after the vaccine for a day or two but that was it. You must be linking side effects that are expected after the vaccine to lingering issues. Side effects don't linger for alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The public sentiment over there is multi-layered.

Firstly, there was the largely republican stance of encouraging people not wearing a mask.

Then the message got through when Biden got in.

People figured that once enough people got vaccinated, things would be better. There was a huge uptake. Things were looking good.

Some folk took that to mean that they wouldn't need to get vaccinated, things would be grand. Add that to those that still believe conspiracy theories, or that think that asking you to wear a mask infringes on your constitutional rights, and they all added up to quite a bit.

The public sentiment now is that people are getting p1ssed with those that refuse to get vaccinated, as it is no longer good enough for "most" to get the vaccine and people who have, are affected in many ways because other people won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

What kind of Healthcare worker is your wife ?

Using your same anecdotal evidence basis, all my friends and family with ranging job titles throughout the health service are fully in favour of the vaccine.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The implications could be huge with the report out of Israel on the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine to severe illness.

It was already reported that efficacy to catching covid wanes gradually but strong protection to severe illness largely remains but now it looks like there might be some lesser waning in protection to severe illness too.

• Data that showed the vaccine’s ability to prevent severe illness in the age group (60+) had dropped to 81% in July from 97% in April, according to Dr. Gili Regev-Yochay, director of the infectious disease epidemiology unit at Sheba Medical Center in central Israel.
    • Eric Topol said: "If this holds up, it's the first sign of a significant dropdown of protection against hospitalizations and death for these vaccines. I hope all of the data will be shared ASAP as the implications are big".
    • Difference between this study and other studies could be the length of time lapsed from vaccination is greater.
    • Boosters in Israel to be offered to those aged 60+. Vaccines also now authorised for those aged 5-11.

WSJ article on this here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/israel-to-offer-pfizer-booster-shots-to-elderly-as-delta-cases-rise-11627585878

Eric Topol's thoughts on this here: https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1420779380654022659

Post edited by JTMan on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't like that they appear not to mention those with particular vulnerabilities of any age in the Israeli announcement, but I guess I'm biased. One source mentioned those who are immunocompromised (3-4000) have already received boosters, but I imagine there are many more younger adults who are indirectly immunocompromised or have a combination of bad conditions shown to increase risk / reduced response to vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The Israel reports seem to constantly have issues. I'd take everything from there with a huge pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A thread to keep an eye on regarding CDC’s claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

EMA approved increased capacity at 2 x US factories making Moderna:

Source: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/increased-manufacturing-capacity-supply-spikevax

"Increased manufacturing capacity and supply for Spikevax

News 30/07/2021

EMA's human medicines committee (CHMP) has approved a scale-up of the active substance production process at Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing sites in the United States (US).

This recommendation is expected to have significant impact on the supply of Spikevax, the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Moderna, in the European Union. It is estimated that in the third quarter of 2021, the US supply chain will provide 40 million doses of vaccine for the European market.

EMA's decision reaffirms that the two recently approved US facilities, ModernaTX, Inc. in Norwood, Massachusetts and Lonza Biologics, Inc. in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, are capable of consistently manufacturing high-quality active substance and will enable Moderna to increase production capacity at these sites.

Since the granting of a conditional marketing authorisation for Spikevax, the CHMP authorised a total of four manufacturing sites for the production of active substance for this vaccine, two in the US as mentioned above, and two in Visp, Switzerland.

This recommendation does not require a European Commission decision"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looks like the Romanian vaccines will be coming soon enough. The deal hasn't floundered as some people speculated - there's just been a lot of technical negotiations going on regarding logistics, storage etc. Romanian minister says he is confident the delivery will go through as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Hopefully they have been stored correctly all this time, and batch tested here before administration here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Dviar is criticising the data from the first study.

There are now 2 Israel studies and they both show an efficacy drop, the second one showing an efficacy drop efficacy to severe illness in those aged 60+ who are 6 months+ vaccinated.

But maybe there issue with the data in this study too. The more data the better and US might be next best placed to issue data soon on potential efficacy drops / waning given how quick they were launching their vaccine programme.

If waning does not result in severe illness in most cases, due to memory cells, then we have little to be concerned about. If waning does, over time result in drops in efficacy to severe illness, then potentially booster programme need to be extended to more people and potentially accelerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's what all the talks have been about and why there has been a delay - logistics, storage, transportation etc. But it seems they will definitely be coming, it's just that the process has taken a bit longer.

Advertisement