Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Rory’s comments after the first round are reminiscent of his comments after he played in his first Ryder Cup.

He was somewhat enthusiastic beforehand, but totally changed his tune after getting there and experiencing the atmosphere of actually playing in such an event.

I doubt there will be any reluctance on his part to play in the 2024 Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Conor Moore made lots of skit videos of him wearing the gold medal. Other golfers, notably at the Ryder Cup slagging him.

The field was very weak. Bubba Watson was probably the best in it at the time. His team mate was Matt Kuchar. Not exactly stellar. It had 46 OWGR ranking points. Less than half that for a major and one more than that year's Irish Open.

It has no history. Was held only twice; in 1900 and 1904 before being dropped for over a century. And it was a completely different event back then. Strokeplay qualifying round followed by five matchplay rounds. And there was a team event as well. The only way you could refer to it as having a history is that it was history for over a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

There are very few golfers that if they win the Olympic golf it will become a much bigger thing, and one of them is Rory. He wins this and it will become massive. Rory is loved all over the world so it will get a lot more publicity IF he was to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That’s a matter of opinion, I don’t think many golf fans, let alone non golfers could care less who wins the Olympic golf competition.

That's a matter of opinion, like 99% of the posts on this.

At the moment they couldn't care less, that was my point. Imagine if Tiger won it, then it becomes a big thing. The next in line that has the same fanbase world wide is Rory, he's loved everywhere except Ireland it seems. Obviously again this is a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rory McIlroy cares whether or not he wins the Olympic Golf competition.

Given the way he's pulling putts he clearly has zero intention of being on that podium and having to endure the flag and anthem bit.

Great Round from Rory and Shane this morning to put them both in contention for the weekend. Rory bogeyed the last so not how he would have wanted to finish I'm sure.

Are RTE showing any of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I saw end of their rounds on rte this morning anyway. Probably depends on what's on for them

Showing 'Daytime' at the Olympics now. May have a recap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is the golf a fully individual tournament or is there also a team element to it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It says there that his teammates slagged him over winning $10m (weird thing to slag him about) and that it was Conor Moore who took the piss out of the medal, but not that he won it, just that he shows it off to people. Do you have something to show that he gets slagged for winning the Olympics?

The world No 2, who has received a constant stream of ribbing from his millionaire teammates over the $10m prize he won at the PGA Tour Championship on Sunday, was also ripped for constantly showing off his Olympic gold medal by Irish impressionist Conor Moore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Guys, keep away from Nationality comments please, this is against Golf Forum charter as it's a flaming post and we don't need that

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

Is it true McIlroys Taylormade deal is to run until 2027. I see he is using a different putter in the Olympics. A Scotty it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Played well earlier but still left a few out there, will need a good round tomorrow for the medal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Still in contention for a medal after a great birdie in the difficult 9th.

the hilarious story of the other Rory is the talking point now. He is on absolute fire. Needs to chill a bit for our Rory to get a medal.

although I just want a massive playoff for the medals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Joint 3rd with 4 to play. Well in with a chance of silver or gold but more likely a bronze playoff I'd imagine.

Now a bogey when Xander making a hames of it

7 man playoff for bronze

I'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

‘Mon Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You’ll pass? Why are you on the thread so.

Very odd comments on here at times.

Tense. Seven way playoff is mad stuff.

Two groups. First group of four and second group of three. In order of when they finished with the first in going first. Rory leading out the second group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yep. First bunch have teed off and just taking their seconds.

McIlroy in the bunker looks like.

Why is it strange? If it was for gold fair enough. It's not. Never been a supporter of playoffs for 2nd/3rd place and not just in golf.

Also part of me thinks McIlroy doesn't really have his heart in this anyway.

• Advertisement

Casey way off into the trees with his tee shot.

Advertisement