Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Micky rules out any changes before September!

Good man Micky. Sure let's just ignore what's happening in front of us for the next five weeks. Decision made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

"Nope you are wrong " Bit of a pompous statement imo.

You know people who were happier to become infected rather than get vaccinated, and I know people who became infected and were so ill that if they could have travelled back in time would gladly have accepted a jab from a blunt knitting needle. So what make your anecdotal evidence so superior to mine for you to deem mine wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Reel your neck in there tonto. You were the one that had a go at me and when I corrected and explained about my mates you come back with that crap. Read what I said and read your original response.

That lad only wants to hear all vaccines protect 100% forever.

Any debate about vaccines (unless positive) he has closed down very aggressively with very petty, personal and condescending remarks to me and others in relation to spelling/grammer to make a point.

This is a debating forum after all.

What does he expect, everyone to just agree with him all the time?

Vaccines will lose transmission effectivess over time in my opinion.

Also within europe the vaccines are also all very similar in terms of safety, protectiveness and effectiveness.

i.e

AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine blood clot risk 'similar' to Pfizer, Spanish study finds | Euronews

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

An Antivaxer to me is someone who will not take any vaccine, or won't allow their children to be vaccinated. It's not someone who up to now has had all the usual vaccines, but is hesitant to take this particular vaccine. Whether you think it's a right or wrong decision, it's their choice,or should be! This thread goes around in circles, and what I see is some of the pro vaccine posters get quite abusive and once that starts they have lost the arguement with me. I have found some of the posts on here to be very valuable as regards getting information but the total reluctance to see why another person might have a different opinion is mind boggling to me.

I'm vaccinated, but I know several who are nervous about it, and I respect that, they may or may not get it in the future, but that's their decision. As i've said before, the young want their life back, and that is the main reason they are getting vaccinated, they are not on any crusade to keep the nation healthy. Anyone in their 30/4o's that I've spoken to want to go on holidays, and that's as far as they see it!

Regarding the youngsters getting vaccinated, were we not told... sure the schools are safe, and there is no danger to the kids, and suddenly the kids are the enemy and need to be vaccinated to protect us all again. You can throw all the science at me, it just goes over my head, I've gone by my gut all my life and it has never let me down yet, but frankly vaccinating the kids worry me...for now, and they are falling over each other to get it, it's like a badge of honour to them, and for most of them, they haven't given a second thought to either the benifit of it or effects of it.

I went back and read our esteemed CMO 's statement on the safety of the Swine flu vaccine, and it's almost word for word what he is telling us about this vaccine, hmmm. I trust my own judgement on things, I try to listen to all sides and respect all sides, and then make my own choice, and it's everyone's choice to do the same. We all did what was asked of us in the last almost year and a half, but to be honest, I don't believe a word that comes out of any politicians mouths anymore, so for me, they tell us how we might be able to get back to normal,but at what price? Will they have to have every man, woman and child vaccinated to do it, if that's the case, goodbye to normality.

I was told when they were advising to get the vaccine, it would save me from having to go to hospital or death. Hopefully they were right, I'll take my chances, no booster for me, I shouldn't need one should I ?? Maybe they'll make my cert invalid if I don't! There's a wicked thought.There will always be variants around, the next worse than the last, we can't go on with this forever.

• Advertisement

Last year there were 148 road fatalities in Ireland. 12th March 2020 - 12th March 2021 there were 4,518 Covid deaths so not really comparable when Covid was rampant. What makes them comparable now is the effect vaccines have had. So the arguement I believe that holds true for the control of this virus is vaccination, and the higher number vaccinated the less risk to those who are unable for medical reasons to avail of a vaccine.Also the less numbers not vaccinated leaves this virus less space for future mutations. Something we have seen with the various variants where it had large numbers to play with.

I have no real opinion on vaccinating younger people, other than we would need to vaccinate everyone aged 16 and over to reach herd immunity, which is really the ideal for dropping all restrictions and living with this virus. Personally as far as that is concerned I would look on it as the more 12 -16 year olds that avail of the vaccine of their own free will the better to ensure herd immunity. How a country like Bulgaria will move forward without vaccines I have no idea, but with 2,600 deaths per million to date, possibly not well

How the likes of

I am in my late 40`s reasonably good health and physical condition, fully vaccination so no particular worries about serious illness or death from this virus. How countries

Perhaps you should take your own advice and role in your own. I did not have a go at you. I told you that unlike you the people I know who contracted Covid would in retrospect have been delighted to have had a needle jab rather than suffer what they did from being infected. Your response was that I was wrong.

I turn off the Radio and TV everytime covid is mentioned as do all my friends and family.

I am sick to the back teeth of medics well meaning though they all are, they are one dimensional, boring conservative people with the personality of a microwave.

I am longing like everyone else to never have to look at or listen to NEPHET again snd I think I might take a hundred vaccines if the Government would give this body its marching orders.

I see we have the hind-sight crew on now. Eh, if we didn't have any restrictions or limits or fines or whatever, we'd probably have a lot more dead people. Or is that too obvious?

I said you were wrong about me but you want to turn it into a dick measuring competition with my covid experience is worse than yours. I don't care you have yours I have mine and that's it. You dismissed mine because it doesn't fit with yours simple as that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's how when Y2K went by without planes dropping out of the sky and people were wondering why there was a fuss made over it in the first place.

They had no idea that it was solved quietly by developers while everyone else got on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It might be looking at the UK at the moment, the unfortunate reality is that our mortality rate didn't rise much, the most of the people that died from covid didn't have long left and a very poor quality of life, it was the outbreaks in the nursing homes, while they claimed x amount were killed by covid why didn't x amount of people die extra last year??

Will you ever get over yourself. You said you knew people who were happier to have contracted Covid rather than get vaccinated. I said from those I knew who had contracted it, those you knew must have had very little mild symptoms because the people I know who had it were so ill that they would have traded trade that for a little jab of a needle any day of the week. Your reply was to tell me I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Top 3 strangest places on earth(currently)

1. Sydney
    2. Boards
    3. Joe Biden’s mind (although tied with the headspace of some of board’s long time members if posts are to be believed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Gaslighting it's called. Infantilising is how it can also be described. I can't believe so many people go for it, really it portrays the worst in Irish society as a whole; submissive, subservient and unthinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

Caught a bit of the WWE on tele last night and US soccer the night before, full arenas & stadiums. Looked great! I think they only admit vacinated people, if that's the case bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK are now looking at a vaccination proof plan for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ah yes, because the only possible options were no restrictions at all or what we had. Everything is black and white. Nuance is forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

According to CDC, vaccinated people can spread covid even with no symptoms.

Makes the vaccine passports look a bit of a farce now, seeing as vaccinated people can still spread it without symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Head

If that is the case should they even be called vaccines at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Not saying the previous poster is correct, But you can't compare exact numbers between road deaths and covid deaths, Covid deaths include some lad that was 97 and just dies of natural causes but happened to have covid so its a covid related death.

By that logic should we include people who happened to die in the back of an ambulance (From something unrelated) as a road death? As that's effectively what the government have done regards Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭brickster69

So how do you find people that don't have symptoms ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Mass testing I presume - only way to be sure somebody doesnt have covid is to test them. Vaccines are not guarantee

And what do you do when you find these people, who aren't sick, are showing no signs of symptoms and are healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US problem is the very low level of unvaccinated in some places and the risk COVID poses to them. The vaccines all prevent serious illness and the vaccinated if reinfected have the equivalent of a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Yes but covid passes are about keeping vaccinated people safe and preventing breakthrough infections - or so we were told.

But if those vaccinated people could be spreading too with no symptoms it makes a mockery of the whole thing. Vaccinations should be used by those at risk to protect themselves, but for everyone else it should be optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mass testing of healthy people so we can demand that they isolate themselves from society so we can protect the now largely vaccinated old and vulnerable people

sounds like a great plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Fortunately it’s not the doom you and your back slapping buddies think it is or portray on here. Have a read of this thread on Twitter:

Key points. Shorter duration of detectable viral RNA in vaccinated 2.7 days vs 8.9 days un vaccinated, that’s a huge difference! . Viral loads from vaccinated who get symptomatic infection are similar to unvaccinated, but far less likely to get infected in the first place.

Bottom line is vaccinated people on average will be way less contagious than un vaccinated people.

so i can understand why vaccinated only allowed indoors until most people are vaccinated. The more people are vaccinated the closer the pandemic ends. It’s quite simple really. Vaccines work.

The problem in the USA are the moronic antivaxxers and it’s mostly because of them that vaccinated people now have to wear mask.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

Advertisement