Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa violence and the country's future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'll cut you a deal, you get to call yourself a racial realist to your wife and whoever else puts up with you talking about your racial theories, everyone else...well...you know what they'll call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I've read the entire thread, and every post that makes any kind of comparison to pre and post apartheid you denounce the poster as racist. You even did a broad sweep at everyone about 5 posts ago.

Apartheid saw some horrors, but at no stage was there this clear regression into a Zimbabwe tier failed state. That is a very real future now if the powers that be dont get their house in order.

Absolutley not, the only poster I've 'denounced' as a racist is the artist known as Cognitive Dissident - because, well he is one really and he probably admits it in the privacy of his own mind. Wojtek is coming up the rear proudly calling himself a "racial realist", so he's getting there as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

I house shared years ago with a girl from Zimbabwe whose family farm was taken over by one of mugabes henchmen. They had 80 people working on the farm, a good few of whom lived on the farm. When magabes man took over the whole place went to rack and ruin, crops not planted n all the workers were out of a job.

It didn't sound like progress to me.

Overall, do you think Zimbabwe is better now than it was under white rule?

• Advertisement

Report away coggy.

Woke, leftist, utopianist, STEM bro throwdown also in the mix. This is like dumbass bingo.

I'll repeat it for the hard of hearing, if you defend apartheid and even endorse a white separatist movement (as you did in a previous post) you're a grotty little racist. Have the spine to own it instead of crying into your cornflakes that you'll report me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Unfortunately this has been coming in SA for a long time. Most white people who can leave, have. It’s a beautiful country, like nowhere else, but it is full of abject poverty and fear, terror and anger. I remember reading the newspapers there to read pages of murder and rapes all the time, it was just unbelievable. Life has no value, you’d be killed for a fiver. At this stage, there is no saving them, white or black, it will just play out as it will, and there’s nothing that can be done. Eventually it will descend to Zimbabwe levels and Sad thing is, there’s no need for it, SA is one of the best places, it has so much potential but rage has taken over, and in time they’ll realise you can’t eat that either.

Is this a "racial realist" question or one honestly posed? (I'm being rhetorical here)

You'll no more find me defending Mugabe than you will me defending Ian Smith and his merry band of apartheidist Englishmen lost in the bush.

Funny that you picked out another pariah state of Rhodesia for your completely good faith and genuinely posed binary "question".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The Corruption will exist regardless of who is in power as we have seen in the past in Ireland.... it's not just one political party that has been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

It is not possible to do business in South Africa without turning a blind eye to the corruption. It is at a stage that 90% of people are on the take and it is just accepted as a way of life.

If you need to get any documentation from the government you have the option of waiting a few years or to pay an intermediary to get the documentation for you who will have it within a couple of days after he pays a small bribe to the government official.

If you park a car you need to pay someone to watch your car, your still not guaranteed that it will be there or not broken into but if you don't pay the odds are way higher.... Call this entrepreneurship if you like but the same thing used to happen in Dublin in 80's and many cars burned out when people refused to pay.

If you get stopped for a traffic offence you are encouraged to pay a bribe to the police officer...

If you are to get a contract you need to bribe someone to even be in contention..

It's not right but it has become the norm and accepted by 90% of the population.

A lot of people will talk about race and blame this for the decline in South Africa but the reality is that it is not about race but corruption becoming the norm that has taken over and infected the country and is slowly killing it. If you look at basic utilities and services these have deteriorated because the money to repair and maintain has been siphoned off and into someone's pocket.

Will South Africa end up like Zimbabwe who knows but I don't see any positive changes whilst the corruption exists.

I'll not argue against the levels of corruption on display in SA over the last decade and a bit. It's self-evident and the rot really set in with Zuma

• Advertisement

The corruption has existed a long time before Zuma came to power... The only difference with Zuma was that like a lot of despot leaders he saw himself as above the law so didn't even try and hide the corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

People had a better life in the bantustans? Really?

Personally, I can't see this happening as Gauteng is the economic powerhouse of South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

CD, how would you replace a system like Apartheid (what it became anyway) where 75%-80% of the populace had fewer rights than the ruling white minority, in a way that was fair & equitable. In your opinion, what is the something better of which you speak.

Oh yes you did coggy. Hope you're wearing a helmet because you're backpedaling at a rate of knots. You name-checked a movement that seeks separatism in the (formerly Orange) Free State and Pretoria and said 'good luck to them.' Anyone who knows SA knows you're referring to Boerstaat separatists who are nothing more than Afrikaaner apartheidist holdouts and the vestiges of NP mourning their lost civilization.

Own it.

He left out the bit where he said good luck to a right-wing separatist movement in the Free State province and Pretoria. Coggy's having a bad day.

There has never been a South Africa without corruption. As I said, it's original sin is a very large one, and the ANC's rent-seeking is a copy and past of the NP's before 94

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any South Africans here willing to comment?

One thing I learned this week from googling the Durban looting and vigilantes, was the history of black/Indian violence. Particularly Zulus attacking Indians.

1949 was the biggest pogrom I think, looting burning rapes murders etc.

But there were others other in 1960 (“soccer riots) 1985 (4 days rioting, 55 dead), 1994.

it’s hard to see how anything can change in South Africa while the ANC hold so much power , and votes - which is where ordinary people have a chance to do something…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's sad to see South Africa go this way. So much hope and potential in the mid 90s

All Eyes On Rafah

To be fair I think you are assuming that he is refereeing to Terre'Blanche vision which is very different to the western provinces breaking away on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I totally agree with your opinion. If it was only black vs white and vice versa or simple racism, it'll actually be easy, as it's "only" an attitude matter. However in South Africa it's more, it's the whole Apartheid history, the have and have-not, and the have-not has no perspective in getting to have and success in life.

Currently South Africa has no future other than corruption, violence, robbery, murder and rape. Also if you're white, eventually you will lose you property and land and being driven off the country in some way shape or form similarly like in Zimbabwe. 10 years is probably optimistic, I'd say it's going to happen a lot faster. If you think this is not going to happen you're naïve.

If I'd be there, I would sell everything I could, accept any half way realistic offer on a property and leave.

Life is just to precious to spend it in a place like this and in a conflict where one can't win.

Sure, I will live in the real world and understand reality. You can play it safe in your utopian bubble and have the luxury of calling anyone a racist. I have no doubt that if you lived in South Africa you wouldn't want to live in black South African areas for very long.

It is very sad indeed. I think those of us growing up at that time really believed, naively looking back, that South Africa would be a beacon of hope for the world, a symbol of humanity triumphing over bigotry and hatred.

If only that were true. It's sad to say that democracy doesn't suit some countries. The likes of Afghanistan, Libya and South Africa have had once bright futures turned sour despite best intentions of all involved.

I'm genuinely curious as to what you think is a better state of Zimbabwe. Ignore the actors involved. I am curious as to how deeply entrenched your position is. If you admit that it was better when white ruled, then at least it would show that you are reasonable and open to discussion.

Yes, Wojtek. Utopian bubble, wokeland leftopia. Reality. Good lad, proceed to the table at the back of the hall to pick up your stuffed toy as your prize.

You assume that people can leave and go somewhere else but it's not that easy unless they have dual citizenship or a lot of money.

If he's such an expert and smartypants, then he knows what he's referring to when he namechecks the Free State and Pretoria separatist movements and says 'good luck to the them'. He's set his stall out and should own it.

That's exactly it. There was a time you could immigrate to Canada with the point system as a skilled worker, and only have around 15 k in savings. However the application process took 2 years or so.

South African citizenship is very limiting as one needs a visa for most counties, just to travel as a tourist.

Most South Africans I've known were eager to adopt any kind of foreign citizenship, once they lived in that country for the required amount of years.

Some South Africans are lucky if they have one parent with another citizenship.

I also recall that South African authorities made leaving difficult, like limiting the amount of funds you could transfer out of the country, or a large tax on a property sold.

However all these measures wouldn't stop me from leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bob Bop Perono

I am in South Africa, thanks. I have been here 11 years. I am keenly aware of the many serious issues facing the country, and I wouldn't attempt to sugar coat it.

I can also spot a race hustler from a mile away. Again, the recent unrest has nothing to do with relations between black and white communities, which are for the most part good. And again, it also has nothing to do with Apartheid era grievances.

• Advertisement

The problem is that race still matters in this context. If you're white, you were automatically the beneficiary of the Apartheid system, whether you liked it or not. Some form or order and structure existed, same as some form of predictable rule of law, your property rights were secure, but as said, only as long as you're white.

Violent crime by the black have-nots was often answered by the police with military style activities, whilst blacks had no options in life, no rights, no education, no decent property ownership.

The problem that is now in South Africa is that Apartheid offered limited access to education for blacks, and this is still felt today. Education is a large key to advancing in life.

Setting colour aside, why would you as an educated man even consider talking or having some kind of friendship with somebody who can't read or write, has no real decent education but has a say in vote in an election. Whom is such an individual going to vote for?

Naturally this is bound to cause more than just major problems.

Advertisement