Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Some good business if true. Was surprised JOC didn't get more opportunities with the 20s after the first game, guy has the speed and the strength to succeed as a pro winger. Same with Reilly, thought he looked handy and assured in his singular sub appearance. Haven't seen what his kicking game is like though.

Thought Leinster would've held onto Illo, but perhaps the TH picture is just a bit too stacked with Alalatoa, Furlong, Porter, and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Illo is an excellent get IMO, surprised he isn't staying with Leinster. Reilly and O'Connor both have decent potential too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Illo is the beast we need on long-term, 118 kg at 20 means 125 when mature. Good carrier.

Bealham should switch to LH and trust Aungier/McCoy/Illo for TH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

O'Connor looks like a decent prospect! I think Leinster are making mistakes letting him and Illo go. Connacht will be chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Keep poaching from The Evil Empire, I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Not overly gone on new home Jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'll wait until I see it in person to make a judgement. Some decent ones looked bad at launch but looked good in my hands and vice versa.

I'd want a LH announcement, not a jersey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's grand. Doesn't look all that different from some recent kits. Nothing groundbreaking but they didn't make a balls of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Sam Illo confirmed as new signing on 2 year deal

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/prop-sam-illo-joins-connacht-on-two-year-deal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht Rugby are pleased to announce the signing of Irish U20 international prop Sam Illo.

Illo represents Old Wesley RFC and has played at underage level at Leinster Rugby, before going on to feature at tighthead in all five of Ireland’s U20 Six Nations games this summer.

The 20-year-old has signed a two-year deal and will link up with the Connacht squad next week as they continue their pre-season preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Looks like it’s a senior deal. I’d say that’s the last of the people signings. One of the right heads (mcgrath most likely) will cover loosehead

8 senior props now signed so I assume that's it for recruitment? None of them are frontline internationals so that would appear to be sufficient numbers. I read on his wikipedia that DRC plays both sides of the scrum. Perhaps Bealham will be used at LH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Interesting that illo is skipping the academy completely, can't think of another player who did that.

7 in reality, hope the 8th comes back in March

But yes the strategy may be to trust young Aungier as TH and move Bealham as LH..

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Connachta may be right on this one. Would be ironic given that Farrell played Finlay at LH for Ireland against Italy, seemed almost unfair at the time.

I'd be optimistic that some of the multiple bets at prop are going to come off and we'll be in a better place this time next year. Youth is certainly being given its opportunity. Has anyone seen Charlie Ward play? I know he was on the U20s but haven't heard anything about him.

Another thing to remember: in March Finlay signed a contract extension of just a year. Multiple possible explanations for that, but concerning nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'd say that's why he's in connacht and not in Leinster. Really good prospect and you'd assume offered leinster academy and it got trumped by full time deal.

It shows there isn't really a need for a draft system and damaging pathways. Ambitious players will see what their best route is and move accordingly

Now final one

Position |1st | 2nd |3rd |4th

LH Prop | Bealham |Duggan| M.Burke| Buckley/McGrath/Ward

Hooker |Heffernan |Delahunt| Tierney-Martin | Murphy/Adamson/E.deBuitlear

TH Prop | Aungier | McCoy | Bealham | Illo/McGrath

n°4 2nd Row |Dillane | Fifita |Dowling | E.Masterson

n°5 2nd Row |Thornbury| Murray| Prendergast | Murray 2.0

Blindside Flanker |Prendergast |E.Masterson | Boyle | D.Byrne

Openside Flanker |Butler |Oliver |S.Masterson | McCormark/Booth

n°8 | Boyle |Papali'i | Butler |D.Byrne/One of Mastersons

SH | Marmion | Blade |Reilly | Reilly 2.0

OH |Carty |Fitzgerald | Hansen | Daly/C.Forde

11| Wootton |Healy| McNulty| Kilgallen/O'Connor

Inside Centre |Aki |Daly |Robb| Forde

Outside Centre |Farrell | Bolton |Arnold | Aki/Jennings

14 | O'Donnell |Hansen|Sullivan| Porch

15 | Porch |TOH|McNulty| Wootton

I do conceed we'll be stretched, and rely quickly on unproven very young guys, but the 2 main XV look able to compete very very strong

• Advertisement

(1-8) Bealham-Heff-Aungier-Dillane-Thurnbury-Prendergast-Butler-Boyle

(9-15) Blade-Carty-Wootton-Aki-Farrell-O'Donnell-Porch

(1-8) Duggan-Delahunt-McCoy-Fifita'a-Murray-Masterson-Oliver-Papali'i

(9-15) Marmion-Fitzgerald-Healy-Daly-Bolton-Hansen-TOH

FFS both teams are very tasty and balance youth/experience.

That's only after the 30thish player it'd be more about unproven/out of position covers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Illo is a great bit of business I reckon. Had a good 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think it’s more likely to see mcgrath/McCoy converted to loosehead than to see Bealham moved there

There's a risk but I'd prefer the strategy of Bealham to LH

1) he has experience here

2) he's international guy

1) + 2) he was even trusted recently there at international level

+ and, that's an important part, Aungier showed he is can start many games with ease and good level for TH position.

The room is made for him then, and I wouldn't be worried, slightly more with Duggan n°1 again and again

1-3 Bealham/Aungier, with Duggan/McCoy on the bench, looks IMO stronger than Duggan/Bealham, with McCoy/Aungier on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Connacht has a Test lion. G'wan Bundee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Some achievement for Connacht to have a player developed in the province and a current player forming the centre partnership in the series deciding test for the Lions.

Would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Delighted for him

Well TBH Bundee was developped by Chiefs and already a starter when he came at 24.

But from that to a Lion, Connacht staffs have had a good part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They mean centre partnership involves current player (Aki) and Connacht developed player (Henshaw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Think he was referring to henshaw as player developed and Aki as current player!

Advertisement