Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Not competition-related but I seem to see a different rte person in Tokyo each day. Looks like they sent about 4 or 5 front line reporters and presenters. Seems excessive considering the number of expected medal winners we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sure you can't blame them, a nice jolly on tax payers money. They'll have a full crew there too for the radio and the news too, not just RTÉ sport.

On the coverage, the catch up show with Darragh Moloney is generally excellent. Darragh himself is a good pro, and many of the experts are very good too, Andy Lee on the boxing in particular, and Bree on the swimming. Then you have Timmy commentating on the basketball, brilliant. Credit where it's due.

Huge contrast between it and the BBC evening coverage... Claire fvckin Balding and Alex Scott..... Jesus Wept. Balding just guffawing and Scott comes across as thick as a plank.... She may not be but certainly is less than knowledgeable about any of the sports, and is very stuttery and can't read the autoque half the time.

Surely there are better broadcasting professional in the UK than these pair,. I'm all for equal opportunity, but these pair have no place bear a prime time tv show like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RTE news showing Lowry playing in the Irish Open in their Olympic round up 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

fair play if the golfers do get a medal but I much prefer rowers and boxers doing welll. Great stories trying to make the Olympics as oppose to millionaire golfers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Any Irish out on Friday, Saturday or Sunday night?

Haven't got to watch it live due to work but want to over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ciara Peelo had a credible explanation for this on the news earlier.... now, I've no idea if she's right or not, but it makes sense to me....

Firstly, it was a spot check of equipment, so possibly the harness wasn't weighed before during this week.

Secondly, if the harness was an older one it may have lost some of its water repellency, and there's foam inside it - so may have soaked up more water than a newer one would (and having plenty older sailing gear, I can definitely attest that this is a thing!), so stayed fractionally over the allowed weight.

Now, like I say, I have no idea if that's the actual reason, but it's a perfectly reasonable explanation, so could be the case.

Whatever happened, hopefully the guys can put it behind them and keep up the form they've had so far this week and claw their way back into the top 10 🤞

If you download the official app, you can filter by country, and all the times of events are given in local time. Very handy for seeing when the Irish are competing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is exactly what ive been thinking all day, there could be a hole in one of the pad pockets allowing more water to directly soak in and not drain out in the 1 minute for measuring or like you say it simply lost is water repellency.

It does beg the question why things like this werent weighed and checked that they pass the rules beforehand but I can also understand not thinking to check something like a harness.

Yeah, I'd have thought a harness is a harness, is a harness..... but then I've never used one, and measurement is pinpoint accurate for big championships, never mind the Olympics.... so maybe someone should have been on it....

Hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭archfi

Kellie Harrington unanimous points victory.

Onwards!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looking good for medal number 3 here.

Yes! Third medal. Really like Aidan Walsh as a boxer. Turning into a very good first week of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

RTÉ usually have a story about what Irish are in action each night

Here us the one for Thursday night/ Fri morning. Usuallly appears about 4pm

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2021/0729/1238025-tokyo-2020-irish-in-action-on-day-7/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Well done Aidan - know we are getting used to winning medals when we go straight to another event 😆

McIlroy up to T2 in the golf, Lowry just a shot behind him in T5. Definitely one to keep an eye on this weekend.

Both golfers T4 at the end of their rounds, although there are others coming up behind them with holes in hand. They're well positioned for the weekend though.

A real shame there isn't a team event using combined scores - we'd almost certainly be in gold medal position.

The hockey team conceded a late goal to lose to India, they were good defensively but hopeless going forward. They will probably need a result against the Brits in their last game tomorrow to progress to the quarters, unless South Africa do them a favour. On the plus side they will know what they need before the game starts and GB have nothing really to play for in the game, so you'd never know.

Sunday looking like a really interesting day with the final round of the golf, McClenaghan in the pommel horse final, Walker boxing for a medal and Walsh boxing for a minimum silver medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really disappointing for Annalise after yesterdays great results a 30 and 40 today mean shes 18th overall so no medal race, dunno what happened in the last race but im guessing a massive wind shift at some stage as the results are all over the map,

The lads in the 49er dropped into 14th with a 8, 18 and 9, they discarded one of the DSQs from yesterday but unless they hit top 5 in all races tomorrow i cant see them being in the medal race.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

great win by Aidan and Harrington one fight away from a medal also fingers crossed for both🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

This is great. How do I make it a favourite thread so I can stay updated every day? I keep having to go back into my own profile to find this place!

In other news, I am now an (armchair) expert on the trampoline & BMX racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

Tied for 4th place.

Was the bmx shown on any sensible channels?? (I don't have a eurosport subscription). Can't stay up at night to watch live. but I'd love to record it and watch it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Kurt Anthony also has a quarterfinal in a few days time.

@breezy1985 T4 is Tied for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The Independent reporting Walsh injured his ankle celebrating the win and is a doubt for the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently only a minor sprain and they think he will make the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is the Lightweight Men's Skulls Final (McCarthy and Donovan) for Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

BMX being shown on BBC now - jaysus, it's nuts!! Brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All 3 looked so happy with their medals too .

Check out ski cross if you have never seen it. Similar but on skis and snow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just seeing clips now! Really fun to watch so high speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Golfers are playing together in round 3, tee off is 2:45 a.m C'mon Shane 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Will Rory catch fire like a vampire in sunlight if he has to stand in front of the tricolour on a podium?

Advertisement