Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I have a question for you guys.

One of the constant themes I read on here, this thread and others, is the difficulty lenders face in repossessing a home. I read this article (Fcuk me I can't post links again) Google "Start Mortgages gets possession order for family home over €60,000 debt" and was wondering if every repossession is this lengthy?

Even after all this time the judge has stated some form of reconciliation may be possible and it will probably take another 2 years to get possession of the home! Am I reading any of this wrong?

In the UK you will lose your home in a year, and in most cases likelier quicker than that.

For my school work experience I spent 2 weeks at a branch of Bradford and Bingley. Literally the first job they had me do was to put repossession threat letters into envelopes. Welcome to banking!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Home reposessions in Ireland are essentialy not allowed. This has the effect of making banks terrified to lend, causing them to be slow and super cautious. Great Irish government policy aimed at reducing economic activity and clogging up the works and having costs passed on from dead beats to good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fine_12345

A lot of what I hear on the topic of repossession tends to be your typical conservative welfare queens hate mongering.

If you go into arrears frankly it’s good if we have laws that force banks into making something work over just taking your house and basically destroying you financially. Frankly that would probably be cheaper for taxpayers in the long run also if you’re really worried about such things.

There seems to be this ridiculous perception that reposing homes will free them up for good hard working people, and that it will also lower interest rates. The former is imo an abhorrent classist point of view, that ignores the reality of poverty and blames victims in general (do you think everyone in arrears just decided they plain old didn’t feel like working anymore?). I’ve yet to see any compelling evidence for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most people who get repossessed in this country are not poor.

Poor people cant afford mortgages for the most part.

So are repossessions happening or not? If they are, then what’s the problem? If you mean most people going into arrears aren’t poor, then why does it happen? Maybe there is a problem with reckless lending for instance, if so maybe we should tighten lending rules.

I don’t want to get hyper fixated on the word poor. I think it’s a reach to claim most poor people can’t affords mortgages therefore there are hardly any poor people in mortgage arrears. I’d be interested to see the data to back that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's called moral hazard, if there are no consequences for not paying one's mortgage, more people will opt out of paying

Many in long term arrears just " won't pay " rather than can't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

It's definately slowing down, I've had calls from 3 different estate agents trying to shift stock that is not moving as quick as the sellers were led to believe it would!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do not reply to thread-banned posters please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Honest question, how did they post if they were banned?

Anyway they made a valid contribution. Here's the link posted that may be pertinent to our market in time, especially regarding institutional investors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/housing-boom-is-over-as-new-home-sales-fall-to-pandemic-low.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's not really a reasonable request. How is someone meant to know the person they are replying to is thread-banned.

• Advertisement

There are consequences. Just because your house isn’t repossessed doesn’t mean there are not serious consequences to mortgage arrears. It’s still probably in everyone’s best interest to have you continue to pay back as much as you can, and if you really cannot pay back anything to not immediately make you homeless.

Besides show me some evidence of all the people that are having a great time while in mortgage arrears if it’s really so endemic that it is a significant drain on supply/dictates how interest rates are set. Heck even show me some data on the latter alone. I guess more crucially to you comment, I’d like to see evidence that the moral hazard argument actually works. That enough people in arrears would otherwise not be if they had just been sufficiently frightened by the moral hazard. That making an harsh example of some people is really a good thing to deter bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I very much doubt it is in everyone’s best interest, in fact one of the reasons given for all of us paying such high interest rates on mortgages compared to other EU countries is that banks cannot recover properties when borrowers fall into arrears.

Somebody always pays, if it isn’t the borrower, it is other borrowers paying higher interest rates so lenders recover the money owed. Nobody is saying those who can’t pay are living the life of Reilly, but that does not take away from the fact they enjoy the benefit of having a house for years without contributing to the cost. If we all adopted your perspective, why would anyone pay their mortgage if there were no consequences for non payment?

I’m really ready to be corrected on this since I honestly don’t know. But I would assume mortgage interest rates are set as monetary policy by the central bank based on a number of factors, and unless arrears are at alarming levels then they really shouldn’t be impacting the rates that much. Please share me any evidence to the contrary. I assume the most significant factor on mortgage rates by far is from rates set by the ECB. I’m gonna preempt the argument that other countries in the euro have lower rates by arguing that is not necessarily to do with repossession regulations per country, it’s more likely down to relative amounts of public debt in general per country or many other factors. But if you have some data that proves otherwise I would be happy to consider it.

I really don’t mean to be rude. I just feel like many people are getting angry at the wrong target because they’ve been fed a narrative that feels intuitively right. And that makes me a bit mad. Even if there is something to the argument, I think it bears a lot more scepticism. Because the political consequences of such thinking could be pretty abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,507 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The ECB sets the rate at which it lends to Banks. Effectively it prints money to lend to banks. The main factors that effect lending are competition between banks and risk.

We have always struggled to get competition between lenders because we have a limited number of lending institutions. Generally if a business area is highly profitable you get new businesses entering the area continually.

In Ireland we have struggled to get banks to stay in the country. We are after seeing KBC and Ulster Bank start to exit the banking sector this year. If Irish banking was highly profitable you would imagine they would stay.

It is not just for mortgage lending that we struggle with lending rates. Business and personal lending are 2-4 percent more expensive than the EU in general. It really effects small and medium size businesses borrowing sub 200k.

Repossessions are not just a factor with housing but also in Agriculture where not just farms but machinery repossession can be an issue. I say it the same with other businesses such as tourism etc.

Trying to repossess and sell any non preforming loans in Ireland is virtually impossible. Banks instead of getting repossession of the unpaid for goods end up selling these loans at a significant discount to foreign funds who then extract as much as they can from these assets. However you have people using terms like vulture fund etc about these companies so the value they extract is less and less which means they pay the banks less for these loan portfolio's.

So somebody has to pay so it's you and I that are paying 1.5-5% more for our mortgage or car loan and the small business that cannot access the EU market directly .

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have noticed that too. Nothing on my watch list has moved. The introduction soon of hybrid working I would think are making folks take account of what and where they want to buy coupled also with unrealistic advertised prices.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Same here

3 calls from different agencies from new house builds. I was actually taken back. Normally I am the one that is ringing just to get through in the first place.

Antidotal but perhaps a slight hiccup somewhere in the system.

Nothing cures high prices like high prices. Central bank lending rules are slowing or stopping price rises continuing. The mortgage exemptions word all be used up at this stage. There may be a slight correction where the top is taken off the price rise of the last 3-6 months in Dublin.

Property outside Dublin is still holding and selling fairly fast. High building prices will also discourage people from doing extension's home improvements which may push this labour into the new house market. Expect slightly more property to start coming onto the market.

I cannot see a crash rather a stabilizing at a price level 10% below peak

Slava Ukrainii

I don’t think the system in anywhere near this straightforward. I’m still to see any clear evidence about repossessions and how they are a likely significant factor in higher interest rates here. The only things I see are people making the claim because of some armchair economist assumptions or some hearsay without any data to back it up. I grant it’s a complicated topic and you guys may know a lot more than I do on the topic. I’d be genuinely interested in learning more because I probably still side on protecting people from life ruining consequences by spreading the burden to everyone, if that is the case. I’d be happy to be able to base my position in more data if anyone has any to present.

It not just the cost of the default with the ancillary costs associated with it. Accross Europe if you do not make repayments the equity you put up is repossessed in timely (12-18months) fashion.

We have situations where people have no repayments made for 5-10 years and still no repossession. Banks themselves are loath because if the publicity to continue down this line so they sell the loss making loans at a 50-80% discount.

If there margins after costs is 0.75% on a mortgage that means that a loss making loan may swallow the profit on 100 preforming loans and that is before the added cost of managing these non preforming loans for 5-10years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

one of the major costs is the capital cost of arrears as banks are required to hold more capital Incase of default... the more arrears increase the overall capital cost of the loan book which is passed onto every mortgage. The longer accounts are in arrears impacts this and is the main reason that banks will try and get these loans off their books

This is a hugely complicated topic where you’ve taken one piece in isolation and concluded something that you haven’t provided any data for. You don’t even source your premise. “Across Europe if you do not make repayments the equity you put up in reprocessed […]”. You don’t provide any source for this claim so I can’t even begin to debate the merits of any argument you make since the premise could be something you just pulled out of your ass for all I know. I did some quick googling on this and it is incredibly complicated. I don’t think you can just claim something as simple as reprocessing in Ireland is more difficult, because you have to ignore so much context. What percentage of mortgages are in arrears? How significant are those arrears? What each bank classes as arrears? What measures and supports are otherwise in place to prevent arrears in the first place and facilitate more refinancing? How many banks sell toxic loans and are this still counting towards the arrears/repossession stats per country? What other factors might contribute to a low repossession rate in one country versus another, and does this have any real impact on interest rates?

Let’s assume the banks tomorrow can repossess the ~30,000 properties in long term (>12 months) mortgage arrears here. Why would that be better for them financially than renegotiating the loans with the client they have? How many of the properties are in negative equity? There is so much to this topic, but sure just keep advocating for policy that will destroy people’s lives on the off chance it reduces interest rates by <1%, without any evidence to prove it actually would do so.

I already saw that bonkers link. It does not provide much detail, throwing out a few figures comparing us to Denmark etc. without any context, and not conclusively linking higher repossessions to lower interest rates.

There is a detailed report on the impact of repossession across Europe that provides some context of the complexity of even comparing two countries with entirely different legal and economic systems and concluding something like well less repossession and higher interest rates, correlation must equal causation. Unfortunately my account is not old enough on board to directly link… It on feantsa.org if you’re interested. “Evictions in Europe: Useless, Expensive and Preventable”

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

You keep using statements like 'I feel..''and 'I assume..' and declaring your opinion from an emotional perspective on the this topic.

Can you provide links to your assertions unlike "some armchair economist assumptions or some hearsay without any data to back it up"?

I have. I’ve explained in detail where claims I’m refuting are lacking in context and why. I’m also being clear I’m not an expert in the topic and and willing to accept evidence if anyone could present any. I’ve also mentioned a report on the topic that provides more context than a few poorly referenced blogs/articles. But because I used the word “feel” I’m being emotional? Cop on.

if anyone is driven by feelings over facts surely it’s the people that believe repossessions will lower interest rates and are incapable of proving it in any meaningful way other than it feels right, and if you look at a few out of context numbers you can twist them to support your feeling. I said from the start I’m willing to accept the argument, but it demands more scepticism than anyone here presents because the social impact of some policies for those affected could be immense. You can choose to ignore that or not care about those facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

He definitely has skin in the game. It's amazing how the number of houses in arrears decreased as house prices rebounded.

It's even worse trying to get a loan for buying land here. Loan rates and collateral are rediculous, and all due to how hard it is to repossess.

For what it’s worth I’m a renter in my 30s who cannot afford my first house.

I think it’s abhorrent to push for policies that target the weak. We know evictions lead to a terrible human cost; broken families, and higher suicide rates. But you’re all so eager to ignore that if it could save you (potentially!) a few grand. Just makes me angry people are this selfish tbh.

You refuted nothing. All you did was try to put the onus on other to go to inordinate lengths to uphold there case. To put this in context all of this has been debated on boards on these threads over the last 3-8years.

Even you throw away remark about a saving a couple of grand is obscene because the reality of the cost is totally different.

We are about 1%ahead of the EU norm for mortgages. To put that in context on a 300k mortgage over 30 years that costs 45k to the borrower. But it's worse than that if the rate was lower they might be able to borrow over 25 years so the true cost would be 56k.

That the cost of putting a child through college or maybe having a pension instead of not having one.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Stark numbers there bass, there'd be marches on the streets demanding repossessions if more people knew them. Thats game , set and match I reckon 12345, stick with the emotive stuff!

• Advertisement

Sorry it is inordinate lengths to go to to provide some data that conclusively supports your position.

Let’s not get into the weeds over if it’s more obscene to evict people from their homes, or to deprive more financially secure people an extra 50k over 30 years. I doubt we’re gonna reach any agreement on that.

Advertisement