Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I liked Dandara but got lost at one point. Then something shinier distracted me and I didn't go back. I must try again, it was a good game.

I'm playing a game which will be a bit of a hidden gem I think. Came out last week and it's called Dogworld. You play as a human who has lived underground for a long time because the surface of earth has been destroyed. You're being looked after by an AI who may or may not have had something to do with the accident. Something happens and you end up on the surface and you have to find out what's going on. You find the surface is now populated by talking dogs (hence the name).

It's a cracking little metroidvania (bosses, upgrades, different weapons, ability-gated areas) and the art style reminds me of Gato Roboto (black and white, but with little pops of colour).

Probably about 7 or 8 hours long I think so it's the perfect length. I think it's about a tenner. I'm about 75% through I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭sekiro

Playing Skyward Sword and quite enjoying it so far. Not sure how it stacks up against BotW so far. I wonder if there is room for old school Zelda in modern gaming.

Incidentally, that's 4 times in a row Smyths have delivered a game for me one day early (arrived yesterday).

Also got the Zelda joy-cons, which look very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The young fella got Pokémon Shield for his birthday so I decided to get sword so we could have some common fun. Days are now filled with discussion on types and evolutions and the like. It's amazing how little Pokémon has changed over the years. Surprised that there don't seem to be any proper animations for attacks to be honest, it's all very basic. Still, there must be something to it as I've been drawn in again like the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Do people delete their games after they have achieved them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If no need to keep them, then delete the game and just keep the save. Can redownload if want to play again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Yeah it's the sense of achievement though. I got a 250GB memory card so should be ok for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The wonky controls are mostly growing on me, aside from the unresponsive sword slashes in Skyward Sword.

On the plus side, good to be back playing a proper LoZ, think i'll need to pull out the wii after this for some Twilight Princess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently TP:HD is on the way for the Switch, and while I alreadu have it for the Gamecube, Wii and WiiU I will buy it again, it's probably one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just got mine delivered. Never played it before so looking forward to getting stuck in. First time Ill hve turned on the Switch in about 6 months.

Before or after Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I wouldn't be getting it again since got the Wii and Wii U versions. Will they add the motion controls back in, I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've no idea, but I would always prefer no motion controls at all, or that they are only an option.

As for if it is going to be before or after Metriod Prime Trilogy, if would be my guess we will get that first, and the LoZ:HD remasters (Twilight Princess and Wind Waker) metred out over the period before BotW 2, so maybe one before Christmas this year and another Sprig/Summer 2022.

All guesses of course, Metroid Prime Trilogy, remastered and ready to go would be a big want for me, those games are spectacular.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm playing A Link To The Past at the moment on the Switch, I'm enjoying it. I kind of like the old-school top down approach.

Will probably pick up Skyward Sword once I finish this.

I definitely think I'd have enjoyed BotW more if I had played more of the old Zelda games before playing it. It would have made way more sense. When I started playing BotW it shocked me just how little guidance you are given, but I know now this is par for the course for Zelda.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hehe, as well as being one of the deviant switch owners who still hasn't touched BotW, this thread reminds me that I own (but haven't gotten more than an hour into) Twilight Princess on the Wii... I'm sure I also have Wind Waker for the GC somewhere but in my defence I have at least finished that before...

Just starting Skyward Sword. Decided to go with motion controls

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Be interesting to see how long you last, I switched to button after about 30 minutes! Too old to be waggling controllers about and the right analogue stick as sword control works quite well once you get used to it.

Yeah will try the sticks. Would be grand if didn't have to constantly fix gyro. Messes up sword swings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just finished Age of Calamity. What a cracking game. Loved the story, was surprised by how much I enjoyed the gameplay and really looking forward to checking out the DLC now. Definitely in my top 5 Switch games.

I've decided Zelda is a psychopath. Who else laughs as they push people to certain death?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Zelda.

She pushes Link off the side of Skyloft then again off the statue of the Goddess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up Grindstone over the weekend. Its pretty damn addictive so far. Only a few levels in but I believe it gets a lot harder as you progress. 150 levels and daily challenges so seems pretty good value for money.

I'm half tempted to pick up Skyward Sword for some oldskool 3D Zelda action

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

In an uncharacteristic move for me, I actually got started on a game from my backlog: This War of Mine

Got it last month for peanuts on the Russia eshop... planned on playing it for 30 mins or so, but ended up playing for hours until the battery died.

Hooked on it... quite thought-inspiring too

Tried out Metro Last Light too but the screen bleeding blur when turning left and right started giving me headaches... will have to try again

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@skerry I hit a roadblock in Grindstone about level 28. There are lots level-by-level playthroughs on YouTube so I must study them and see if I'm missing a trick.

I started Trigger Witch on Thursday and I love it. It has the twin stick shootiness of Enter the Gungeon with the aesthetics of a Link to the Past. I'm on the 4th dungeon now and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pokémon Unite & Ace Attorney Chronicles

A Pokémon MOBA works well. Not spent a penny on it yet so will keep on while that's viable.

AAC is a lovely update of the Phoenix Wright series so far. I love the originals but they are hard to go back to so it's nice to have something fresh in that style to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I only had a quick blast last night and I'm only on level 5. Id say it can get tricky quick enough. I've already got caught out a couple of times getting greedy for stones and spending too much time in a level. Touch controls are great on it, much prefer playing it handheld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Best advice I heard is - find out if your Pokémon of choice is sp.atk focused or attack focused. It’s deliberately not told in game (the snakes) but I’ll try add a spreadsheet here. Then spend a while before deciding on which three items to focus on. You should be able to get the three to competitive lv (20 is fine, over that is diminishing returns) the passive on the items improve at lv 10 and 20. So you don’t level up a shellbell to discover it’s a complete waste on your Charizard etc. Which is how they get people to pull the credit card out :(

That way you can focus the upgrade tokens on the core items you need :) and not pump the tokens into multiple lv10 or so items.

Zeraora is missing from the spreadsheet but he’s 100% attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mksbart1948

ATM I'm going through Zelda Wind Waker HD on my Wii U (that console is so underrated) and Pokemon Diamond on DS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Kinda in between games at the minute so I took a dive into my backlog and started in on Streets of Rage 4. Loving it.

I bought a discounted Moto GT on the Switch and enjoying it quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Working my way through Skyward Sword HD since it came out. Think I've clocked just over 18 hours so far. Playing exclusively with the pro controller and finding the controls pretty good apart from doing the spin attack or "fatal blow" attacks which are difficult with the stick.

Thoroughly enjoying the game and will definitely finish it this time after abandoning the Wii version very early on. Great to be back doing real dungeons after they were left out of BOTW. Loved BOTW too but the classic Zelda formula is always great to return to.

Advertisement