Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,616 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

”It will have an enthusiastic energy to it”, said the person in a very unenthusiastic and non-energetic tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, not much going on this weekend - Sky has a rare outing for the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus film (the one they apparently buried when they saw it and reckoned some of the other acts upstaged them). BBC launches into the Proms, between that and the Olympics they are not doing much else

BBC1 has a new thing about Billie Eilish which I was far more excited about when it was billed earlier this week as "Unconfirmed new music release programme" like it was a secret and they were going to announce the return of Elvis or something.

Thursday

9pm Amy Winehouse And Me: Dionne's Story (MTV)

A decade after Amy Winehouse's death, this documentary sees her goddaughter, Dionne Bromfield, open up for the first time about the impact of Amy's death on her life

11.15pm Reclaiming Amy (BBC2)

Amy Winehouse's closest family and friends reveal the 'truth' about her and the impact that her loss has had on them

11.15pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults - 1978 (Sky Arts)

Featuring Kate Bush, Ian Dury, The Boomtown Rats and The Jam

11.35pm When Music Stars Go Horribly Wrong (Comedy Central)

Featuring things like when Bucks Fizz's Bus crashed, and when Five had an argument.

Two hours of this crap

12.15am Rag N Bone Man Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

1.15am My View - Clem Burke (Sky Arts)

The Blondie drummer reflects on his career, from his first-ever drum lesson through to touring the world. Featuring contributions by Debbie Harry and Annie Lennox

Followed by at 1.15am by Blondie: Song By Song episodes 1-4. Sky Arts are strategically putting Blondie against the Olympics, apparently

Friday

7pm & 2.30am Gregory Porter's Popular Voices (BBC4)

Ep 2 "how truth became a quest of rock 'n' roll's greatest poets from Woody Guthrie to Gil Scott-Heron, to Lou Reed and Suzanne Vega, and why popular voices including Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Kurt Cobain don't have to be technically perfect to resonate so deeply and stir people's souls"

7pm The British Invasion (Sky Arts)

Ep 3 Herman's Hermits

8pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults - 1987 (Sky Arts)

With the Smiths, the Mission, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode and the Cure

8pm The Proms (BBC1)

The first night of six weeks of this. Vaughan Williams tonight. Continues on BBC4 at 9.05pm

8pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops 1991 - May 23 (BBC4)

Gary Davies presents the edition first aired on May 23 1991, featuring performances by T'Pau, Simple Minds and Deacon Blue.

Then there is a skipped episode for the first time since the Yewtrees. According to TV Cream "The reason seems to be because it features The Doors, who uniquely are not part of the Beeb’s blanket licencing arrangement with PRS and hence every play of a Doors song has to be approved and paid for individually, something far beyond this repeat run’s virtually non-existent budget, and because it’s over the credits it can’t be effectively removed". So there.

8.30pm & 2am Top Of The Pops 1991 - June 6 (BBC4)

Mark Goodier presents the edition first aired on June 6 1991, featuring performances by Northside, Madonna and Marillion

9pm Steven Tyler Live At Melrose Ballroom 2016 (Sky Arts)

10.15pm Mark Ronson - From The Heart (BBC4)

The songwriter and producer discusses his life and musical influences, including how the break-up of his marriage has influenced his most recent album, Late Night Feelings

10.20pm Robert Plant And The Sensational Shape Shifters - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

There's a whole lotta Led Zep songs in this, apparently

10.55pm Fleadhfest 2021 (TG4)

Dáithí Ó Sé and Doireann Ní Ghlacáin travel the highways and byways of Connacht meeting some of the country's finest exponents of song, dance and music

11.30pm Electric Proms - Mark Ronson (BBC4)

Featuring vocalists Lily Allen, Sean Lennon and Terry Hall

11.35pm -2am Classic Artists - Cream (Sky Arts)

12.30am Singer Songwriters At The BBC (BBC4)

Featuring Leonard Cohen, Julie Felix, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Don McLean, Tim Buckley, Stealers Wheel, Joni Mitchell, Elton John, Paul Simon, Rab Noakes, Loudon Wainwright III, Clifford T Ward and Cat Stevens

2am Classic Albums: Cream - Disraeli Gears (Sky Arts)

Saturday

3pm The Barry White Story (Sky Arts)

4.15pm Discovering Music - The Bee Gees (Sky Arts)

4.45pm Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989 (Sky Arts)

Alternatively ITV4 has Dirty Rotten Scoundrels this afternoon. And Escape To Victory.

7pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults - 1987 (Sky Arts)

As Friday

8pm Classic Albums: Lou Reed - Transformer (Sky Arts)

9pm The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus (Sky Arts) 🎪

🎪

That may or not be a double disappointing circus tent emoji.

Footage from the star-studded 1968 rock concert performed in a Wembley TV studio that was turned into a circus for the occasion - complete with clowns, fire-eaters and trapeze artists. The show features songs by the Who, Marianne Faithfull, Taj Mahal and Jethro Tull alongside actual circus performers and impromptu supergroup the Dirty Mac, comprising John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell, violinist Ivry Gitlis and the unique vocal stylings of Yoko Ono. The Stones take the stage for the second half of the concert, performing hits including Jumpin' Jack Flash, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Sympathy for the Devil

9pm The Bee Gees How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? (Sky Arts)

Google suggests ACE inhibitors, Diuretics and Beta Blockers but maybe see a Doctor

9.50pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

With Imelda May, Tolu Makay, the Saw Doctors, Crash Ensemble, and Rhiannon Giddens & Francesco Turrisi, as well as performances by Irish Women in Harmony in memory of Dolores O'Riordan

10.10pm-12.10am Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

10.30pm-12.55am Classic Artists - Jethro Tull (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Billie Eilish - Up Close (BBC1)

Clara Amfo meets the singer for an exclusive interview in her home town of Los Angeles. At 19, Billie Eilish is already a Grammy and Brit award winner and one of the biggest selling acts in the world. She talks about her meteoric rise to fame in just three years, the people who helped her get there, and the pressure of being a role model for millions

12.10am Sammy Davis Jnr - I've Gotta Be Me (PBS)

12.55am Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2009 (Sky Arts)

With James Bay, Jeff Back, Sheryl Crow and Peter Frampton

Sunday

5pm Cyndi Lauper - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

6.15pm Classic Albums: Peter Gabriel - So (Sky Arts)

7pm Holst: The Planets With Brian Cox (BBC4)

8.30pm BBC Proms - Mozart's Final Symphonies (BBC4)

9pm Flight Of The Conchords Live In London (Sky Comedy)

Last time they advertised this Sky pulled it for some reason

9.30pm Fleadhfest 2021 (TG4)

10.25pm The Joy of Mozart (BBC4)

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)

Trad from Knockaderry in Limerick from 2004

11.20pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

12.15am Isle Of Wight Festival Greatest Hits (Sky Arts)

Kasabian and Snow Patrol

12.45am Steven Tyler Live At Melrose Ballroom (Sky Arts)

That's about it, if you see anything else going on do let us know

Looking ahead to Tuesday RTE1 has a new Doc on 'The Godfather Of Irish Electronica" Roger Doyle (11pm)

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0709/977448-who-is-roger-doyle-filming-the-godfather-of-irish-electronica/

Also there is news that Queen continue to make more money than they could ever spend https://www.nme.com/news/music/queen-are-making-100000-a-day-from-bohemian-rhapsody-biopic-2983964

Finally, the Best Story About How Chris Rea May Or May Not Pop An Egg In His Bath Before He Gets In Of The Week

might be this one from Would I Lie To You? (Dave Saturday 6.40pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Who at the Rock and Roll Circus are sensational.

FLOPPYTOPPYPOPPY!

T’Pau still relevant in ‘91?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Don't remember this one from Tpau.

Christ I'm sure this thing was No 1 for weeks.

This Color Me Badd monstrosity gives me nightmares every time I sleep, to this very day.

I might have overstated that a small bit.

Had to believe that ‘I Wanna Sex You Up’ caused a moral panic back in the day! :D

PLAY SIOUXSIE!

• Advertisement

The chart rundown format on TOTP at the moment is nuts

They leave out any records which went down (leaving only the risers, breakers and hanging arounders)

I think they changed it back before too long

I love ‘Shiny Happy People’ , and I’ll take you all on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

With the perfect vocals of Kate Pierson - it's a classic.

Yeah, they became irrelevant just after this and remained irrelevant until briefly regaining relevant status in 2018 for one night when they appeared on the Late Late Show Valentines Special 😀

Freddie looking so frail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Man, it's good to see Freddie there. He was so ill though. :(

Ah feck off Cher already! I remember that song being absolutely everywhere at the time. Ggrrrrr.😣

Memories of watching this and trying to pause the video to get a decent look at Winona Ryder

Young lads these days have it easy

Should have had Bob Hoskins on backing vocals.

Technotronic featuring Reggie?

Didn’t know one of the Kray twins had a musical career.

Same. They all look even more rapey today! :p

With Welsh Megaman on Shiny Happy People. My mate started throwing parties in his house every second week during that summer as his folk fecked off to Wexford. That song reminds me of those awesome times.

• Advertisement

”The Brilliant Northside!”

:D

Damn you, people who control The Doors back catalogue!

PSB to save the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Northside was formed by Warren "Dermo" Dermody (vocals/lyrics) and Cliff Ogier (bass).

But of course.

One band I could never stand is the Petshop Boys. Man thats painful stuff.

Where's Fish? :p

DO KAYLEIGH, MAN WHO’S NOT FISH!!

Something Fishy about that singer, he has way too much hair.

So which one was Salt?

Is Mark Goodier self-isolating and presenting via Zoom?

• Advertisement

Advertisement