Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

I don't see any way to follow or subscribe to threads or forums here. The "bookmark" thing at the top of the page does nothing. The only time I visit this forum is when I receive an email notification of a reply to a thread. Now that's gone so it's kind of pointless (and inconvenient) for me to continue to use boards.ie. Why did they have to wreck it? It looks like a forum design from 2008 and there are far less options than previously.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It will probably become better with time and getting used to the new site, but I have to say they kind of lost me with the long downtime whereby it wasn’t super clear what was going on, then followed by a new UI which is is a bit confusing in terms of the new posts notifications (at leat initially).

Based on some comments here and the fact the volume of posts seems to have dropped, I suspect a few users have been taking a break.

I’ve always liked boards though for being a discussion platform about anything in Ireland, and have been enjoying this forum quite a bit. So hopefully this gets ironed out and people come back.

This page might help with what you are looking for, although I don't find it quite as good that what we used to have: https://www.boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked

Post edited by Bob24 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm popping in all the time but it seems like there is a massive drop off in people posting.

I can't understand why they didn't do a soft launch and move 10% to the new site. Get feedback and then scrap it as everyone hates it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

https://www.binance.com/en/support/announcement/f72d0fff2bd24b488213fa30284dd4cd

Unavailability of Futures and Derivatives Products in Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands

Binance plans to wind down its futures and derivatives products offerings across the European region, commencing with Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. With immediate effect, users from these countries will not be able to open new futures or derivatives products accounts. With effect from a later date to be announced in a further notice, users from these countries will have 90 days to close their open position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

All the mods should just resign. I haven't seen a single user say they prefer this new abomination. The reason given was the old site being unstable and a problem for the admin and techies, but way to go to wreck something and inconvenience thousands in order to make a couple peoples jobs easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

Lads I am thinking to stop buying crypto on Binance. Would you recommend any other which has got low fee for buying & moving to wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Flying tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So many shorts getting wrecked right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The mods dont have any say, I was a mod before as a different user so I'd know.

This is all down to the admins who went with the change.

Tbh I will just add the cryto forum to my bookmarks, I won't even attempt to find other categories as its an absolute mess now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

$42k, that's a pretty significant break, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

41k was the breakout, next is 45 or around there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The price movement is the only reason I spent ages trying to find the crypto forum on this shocking new design.

Things looking good, hopefully this is the start of the next big move that some of us expected.

Yes, boards is a business and their staff make this kind of decision. From the perspective of the company, mods are simply users with higher privilege as they are helping with keeping discussions more civil and legal. Having said that, with such a big change it would have made sense to have a parallel trial run of the new site and move all the mod-related forums on there so that the mods can provide feedback (as they are obviously heavy users of the website and well positioned to flag issues). No idea if that was done, but I’d tend to say it wasn’t as I am sure many mods would for exemple have pointed at the way notifications for new posts was unclear/broken with the new site.

Maybe what cnocbui meant to say though is that in his view mods should “resign” in protest rather that as an apology.

Some good news stories on top of passing back over the 50 day moving average putting a bull run in a very likely position over the next 70-140 days.

New law in Germany allows institution investments to now hold 20% of crypto. Opening up a new channel for billions of euro.

Mining (of the voluntarily submitted figures) cross 50% renewable power source. Up from 36% last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Anyone that uses metamask/shapeshifte/keep key can check if they got airdropped FOX tokens. I got 600 euros worth dropped. You need to claim before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's going mad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Which ones exactly. They have rose a bit but not gone mad by any stretch.

• Advertisement

Farm has gone up 200% in the last week or so. I don't know much about it, seems to be another defi that moves around to maximize the yield it can "farm".

These bags I'm holding are starting to feel lighter, but not light enough. Here's what crypto needs for me to recover my loses and the reason I'm holding on is because I believe all will happen:

1. Chinese miners or their equipment needs to migrate and setup elsewhere.

2. People need to ignore Elon Musk tweets. The day he tweets about crypto and there is no affect on the market will be a good day for crypto.

3. Gamestop and AMC needs to come to a conclusion. So many people have closed all their portfolios and pumped everything they have into the meme stock. A lot of this money would have been destined for crypto. They're all locked in now and will not be moving until there is a definitive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

These things have mainly been addressed over the past few months.

The Chinese miners have moved on, other countries, like Kazakhstan, have taken some of their share.

Elon's tweets don't make much difference anymore, his more recent tweets about DOGE and BTC didn't cause any big movements.

Very little relevance nowadays between gme/amc and crypto. Might make a difference to some memecoins as they probably have similar people involved with both.

Bigger issues like inflation, adoption, regulation, crypto ETFs, will move the needle far more. If you're only holding to recover your losses, you probably bought in the last 6 months. Best to have a longer time horizon than that to make real profit, unless you're hoping to swing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Tango One

Saw this on reddit so true. Most will go for the long shot when a nice gain could of been made on a safer coin.

Yep I invested in a crypto fund in May with a load of $hitcoin in it that won't live to see the light of day again. I'm down 40% and decided I'll just leave it until eventually it comes to life again. I'll be looking for gains in the main coins to make up for all the $hitcoins in the fund.

You live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Personally, if I had to guess (and this is personal speculation), it will follow a similar pattern to 2018. If we look at the charts, pick the high point in 2018, it's tracking that almost identically. I'd go with peak in a few weeks, then a slow slump into a proper bear.

Again, anything could happen, market is completely and utterly irrational, but for a proper second run (like 2nd half 2017) coins would need to be breaking ATH again, there'd have to be twice as much FOMO and press coverage as the first part of this year, and I just don't see that happening. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

What do you mean by fund? Your own selection of tokens or one that was set up for you?

There's a much larger base of users now, along with plenty of institutional investment and far more media coverage. Difficult to see the total crypto market cap dipping below 1trillion again unless there was a big event/terrible legislation. Long slumps will probably still happen but likely to be less extreme than before and from a much higher floor, I'd imagine. There's also a lot more money in the world now than there was in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Did you not say recently that we were already in a bear market and had basically hit the cycle top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yeah. Bear markets in crypto have so far been years of a general downtrend or slump (which random minor blips in between) interspersed by oddly similar bull runs, at almost the same timing. I've been through several so far. Best way to see it is to look at lifetime charts, e.g. Eth. Ignore the minor ups and downs and focus on the big moves. Compare the last bull to this, start at the peaks of both, it's remarkably similar. Usual disclaimer, anything could happen next, even something like the 2017 "double" run (wishful thinking), but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see us enter another 3 to 4 years of bear.

Advertisement