Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Yeah. Anything I’ve seen of Bailey (and it’s all YouTube clips tbf) looks like he’d fit right in. Bit worried about Jack though. Some ITK with a solid reputation on the Man City Reddit (see how low Boards has made me sink 😂) says the deal is done. Let’s hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Roma have put a bid of 10 million in for El Ghazi is the word. He must be worth more than that. He scored 10 last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Definitely worth more than that but I wouldn’t fight to keep him. Hugely inconsistent player. Bags of talent. Very little fighting spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would be delighted to get 10 million for him. He is a guy who will always score goals because he shoots pretty much every time he gets the ball anywhere mildly near the box but eh for him to properly become a good player, someone will have to finally brainwash him into actually looking up when he gets the ball to see if there are better options.

That said, he has scored some pretty vital goals for us so he would still be remembered a little bit fondly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I’ve stated that I didn’t see that move happening but if more than 1of the currently linked players were to actually happen then I would certainly question it.

That said El Ghazi looks like he could be moved on if such a bid is put in. Good servant but below the standard required for progression plus Roma (still haggling over Xhaka iirc) don’t seem like the type who will be putting in huge bids on anyone.

Add that to Trez’s long term injury and I believe Traore is recovering after a surgery so Villa aren’t exactly stacked in that area.

Traore scored 8 league goals in 2 years in a poor league and cost us 17 million.

El Ghazi should be netting us more than 10 million in today's market.

I wouldnt let him go. 10 goals last season with the amount of time played was impressive despite the fact he makes me want to chew my own teeth out.

Outside of the goals I don’t think he is great but for those goals I think he would stay if we weren’t about to sign someone else in his position and had Carney coming through also who IMO will take his spot on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Terry officially gone as assistant. Doesnt appear to be a role lined up yet from reports.

Was always going to happen as he obviously has intentions on a non assistant role. Probably leaving at the best possible time in terms of his reputation but tbh it is very hard to know what he should be credited with. Already seen him being linked to the likes of West Brom and them saying he made us more defensively strong, but he was also with us through periods we’re we were the complete opposite. His heart will always be with Chelsea but he was a good servant to Villa and I wish him success in whichever job he takes next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

He was indeed a good servant. Was clearly passionate about the club, (though I found it hard to warm to him, given some of the stuff we know about him from before his Villa days). I don't feel that he can't be easily replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

When is transfer windown closed?

Be nice for jack or club to state what situation is , i would like to think its the press making alot up to sell pappers

Ps new forum is a disaster

He's on hols til end of week. Back next week to discuss new contract.

The press are doing what the press Do . Make **** up out of thin air .

I honestly think the clubs stance is a simple we do not want to sell and we will offer him a new contract to keep him but if City go at it hard and offer more than 100m they would probably deter to what Grealish wants to do.

lots of stories today that City are going to make “an opening bid” with suggestions that it will be for around 75m, some saying Villa will knock it back immediately and others saying City are confident they can negotiate Villa down from 100m.

these stories could all be based off nothing with figures pulled outta thin air but if Villa do have a number they would be willing to accept and negotiations do actually take place I hope they do a Dortmund and just say it’s this much by this date or no deal and stick 100% to that.

in better news Leon Bailey’s stepdad and advisor has let it slip that leverkusen are in negotiations with Villa so a second bid will hopefully be incoming soon.

Well a month ago he had signed for city according to uk press

The press are a joke. Almost every day I see something along the lines of 'Grealish agress terms, as City prepare to make bid for Villa star' popping up on my phone.

Like, seriously. Are the people that read that crap so stupid that they don't even know the basics of a transfer? Ie the clubs have to agree a fee first before the player negotiates personal terms. (officially at least - I'm sure the rule is often circumvented).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

How good is he? Don't watch much German footy, is he a big upgrade on BT

Honestly I’ve not watched a whole lot of him but he would put Traore on the bench for sure, is highly rated and can play all across the AM positions including upfront if need be although definitely seems to prefer AMR. He would be my first choice of the linked players Atm.

Being reported that Villa have made a 30m bid or are readying one after an initial 25m bid and that Leverkusen want 35m so you would think that a deal can be made especially with Bailey talking like this:

"One hundred per cent, I’m totally ready for the next step," he said.

"I’ve been working hard to be able to reach where I am today. I feel like I’m at an age and point in my life where I feel like I’m ready for the next step. Hopefully we can make that happen soon.

For me, just playing at the top. The highest level. I feel like I need a new challenge so anywhere where it’s a good opportunity for me to really showcase myself and work hard.”

in slightly related news it’s being reported that Villa want close to 15m for El Ghazi in response to Roma’s interest. Could see him leaving for between 10 and that if we do get an AM like Bailey in as we still have players like Carney that the club will want to give game time and McGinn that could be pushed up further if Traore isn’t available to replace on of the starting AMs.

Varane going to Man U and Axel is on the move. Few places saying its between us and Newcastle but that sounds like handy speculation, the last 2 managers he's played under.

I think we will end up promoting one of the young guys. Revan looked really good against Liverpool that time, he's 4th choice or at least back up to Konsa who only missed 3 games last season. He's physically big enough as it is, so I think this is a perfect opportunity to use the academy.

• Advertisement

Liked Axel when we had him beside Mings in the championship but he wouldn’t be starting ahead of Konsa and I would think he would be moving for first team football. He would be ideal backup but I’m not expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Only noticing now, 3 days later that John Terry has left the club

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1419594718992797699?s=20

No idea why we would want axel , we have moved on now

Sky sports headline says city have opened talks with villa over grealish.

This is not looking good

Worth noting that nothing the news have actually broken today is really developing news. They're not far short of saying 'if Aston Villa and Man City can agree a fee and Grealish agrees to go there, then the transfer will happen'

The Tuanzebe thing is gathering legs. 2 reports saying 6 million. Id take him at that.

• Advertisement

Axel doesnt fit in anywhere , why leave uniteds bench to sit on ours

John Percy is saying a 100 million bid has been put in for Grealish by Man City.

Yep, being reported on BBC too. Feck it, 100 million is a lot to turn down and Jack will probably want to go to get trophies.

But even with 100mill he's almost impossible to replace, and has been the heart of the team for years - through the rough, and back to the highs.

So feck it, City don't even need him....

Lovely new away kit launched at same time to distract us.....

Our owners dont need 100 million , i think people forget this

• Advertisement

Yeah. I think it will come down to Jack, and what he wants to do. I'm sure we will offer him a big new contract, and give him the 'big fish in a small pond' speech. But if he wants to go it will be hard to stop him.

I hope the purchases so far, the links to Bailey and the attempt to get Smith-Rowe, show our ambition to Jack. That might help.

If Grealish tells them he would like the move for 100m it might be understandable if they accept it but I would love to see the club just say nah mate he ain't for sale.

That's the problem really, I doubt they will keep Grealish against his will with such big money on the table but it would be a real statement to reject it.

If he does get sold, there have to be a few more coming in to appease fans not just one of the Bailey type, they will also regret not getting any deals done earlier if they sell as everyone should already know Villa have money but now they will be upping the prices of our targets for sure.

Lee hendry on sky telling jack its time to go

Ffs

Obvious I know but... The more I think about it, the more I really want Jack and the Club to reject City.

As you get older it is easy to in many ways fall out of love with football. It can seem so corporate and soulless at times, all about the money, Saudi owned teams, super league talk etc but watching hometown boy Jack Grealish lead Dean Smith(another Villa Man)'s Villa in such a manner that it just always looks like the lad loves playing football while obviously caring about the club that we all support has kind of brought me back to how I used to feel about the club when I was younger. Yeah the improved fortunes of the past few years and obviously competent owners etc help with that too but it will be a very sad day if City are successful in this bid imo

Also just read (Via Ornstein) That Villa had a 25m bid rejected by Southampton who would want far more.

Really hope they aren't acting fast to appease fans by spending the Grealish money even though he would be a good start in that regard although I would imagine would cost at least another 10m given his long contract and being their captain.

Stories circulating also that Bailey has agreed personal terms too (no deal yet between the clubs).

Today is the day where i have accepted hes gone.

Tweets about man utd deleted from his twitter today , his family closed twitter accounts , writing looks on the wall.

Big crossroads for the club now , i thought we would get one more year from him

Seems to be a lot of these little hints appearing

Manchester Evening News:

Mannequins sporting the Grealish shirt have been removed from the club shop this week, it would be bizarre to make this change just as new shirts are being released – prime selling time.

That isn’t the only hint though as the MEN add that Grealish was part of the shoot for the Villains’ new away kit, alongside Tyrone Mings and Ollie Watkins, but he’s not featured in any of the promotional material shared by the club today, whilst his club (for now) and country teammates are.

Combine that with his family pre-empting potential online issues by closing their accounts and Jack purging his twitter of anti City tweets (hoping Utd beat them etc) as well as Villa suddenly putting in a bid for Ward Prowse (one they probably knew wouldn't have been accepted) the same day the story of the 100m bid breaks and it really seems worryingly like entering damage control all round.

I only saw it suggested in one place but did see mention that it may be a "100m package" with City including a winger they rate at 10m plus 90m. They winger in question is  19yr old Morgan Rodgers. Knowing absolutely nothing about him apart from that he was on loan at Lincoln city last year I''m not inclined to want him as part of any package if he is being valued at 10m and if there was any truth in this might make me think there may be some negotiating still do with City although yeah the more news I read today the less confident I am of Grealish wearing Claret and Blue this year. Please prove me wrong Jack

So the deal is 90 million and some young lad named Rogers according to BL. Grealish will be offered 200k per week to stay, so its up to him, the club are willing to say no.

Apparently we have agreed terms with Bailey as well.

Hopefully he's seeing enough progress to stay. It will be impossible to replace him but 100 million is a good deal with the injury profile he's had in the last 3 years. Clubs will be gouging another 20% out of us for every transfer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

His injury record doesn’t seem to be mentioned that much, if he stays we need to reach the point where our performances don’t fall off a cliff if he is injured.

It seemed that was the focus of this summer's recruitment with the likes of Beundia and potentially Bailey coming in to take the pressure off him. However now it might end up with them being seen as replacements for him. That said if he does leave the fans would not be appeased with just those two and you would have to assume that more would be brought in. From reports River Plate's Alvarez for example I could see being signed as well as Bailey if Grealish goes especially as he supposedly can also play up front and backup might be needed there especially with Davis linked to . Then invest the extra money in another position, for example the Prowse bid which would also allow McGinn move further up field.

• Advertisement

The Athletic are reporting that Villa are going to make a 2nd bid for JWP.

Interesting how Villa seem to be operating in terms of bids. Smith Rowe, Ward Prowse & Bailey all had opening 25m bids. Reportedly they went back in at 30m for ESR and Bailey and they also went in at that price for Beundia seemingly skipping the 25m bid as Arsenal had already put in a bid at around 30m. Between 30-35m is expected to get Bailey, it got Beundia and was being reported as the number Villa were about to bid for ESR before it got leaked he was going to sign a new contract with Arsenal.

Wonder is that what is to be expected with Prowse too - 30m bid next or perhaps skipping straight to closer to 35m considering it's being reported that the Saints considered the first bid as ‘derisory’ (and tbh I never would have expected them to accept 25m, it's just a conversation starter)

I’d say Grealish is gone yeah

He must have missed around 35 games over the last 3 seasons taking into account the Championship is 2 games a week most weeks? For a team in Europe and cups that would have been a similar number I'd say to miss over a 3 season period.

He owes the club this season based on his comments last season and being brought in on the intent and plans. After this season if progress is middling then fair dues off you go no problems. But I do think he should stay this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thinking about it, if City are prepared to smash their transfer record and the British transfer record, it is hard to see Villa saying no, so it will be up to Jack.

Post edited by JPA on

I’d love to believe this but I don’t. Promotion, staying up, and pushing on last season just wouldn’t have been possible without Jack.

Hes been super loyal to even stay throughout all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

It will disgust me as a villa fan if Jack is booed if he joins city and returns to VP

Simply cannot blame the guy wanting to better himself, play with better players and win trophies. It's 100% not about the money Jack gets.

He owes the club nothing, has done more than anyone can for a club as a 25 year old, I will wish him well and be disappointed if he leaves, but maybe we get 3 quality new players as a result that helps improve the overall team. Bailey, JWP and one more.

Hes had 3 good years at 25 years old , the way people go on you would think he was at it since late teens.

Owes club nothing? He owes the club something , its made him who he is today.

Loyalty , i think the ireland situation shows he will do whats best for himself .

If he stays another year and goes then fine , but if he goes now its going to set us back quiet a bit , he cant be replaced , and trying to attract players will be harder.

I would understand him going , but if hes villa to the core like he says then i cant see how he goes now , club is going places and hes the main man at his boyhood club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

If he leaves now with two weeks to go to the start of the season he’ll be setting us back.

aside from the fact that you can add 20% to the asking price if any other player we’re interested in, we suddenly look a much less attractive proposition to better players.

I think his agent must have been in his head as he stands to gain big money from this move so it’s natural that he’d want to see it happen. I had a look earlier and he’s also Konsa’s agent so another good season there and he’ll be off to replace Stones as well.

• Advertisement

Sky sports reporting villa accepted offer 100 million plus add ons.

Never liked him anyway. Always injured sure :P

Advertisement