Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah the number of miscarriages is surprisingly high (as I only found out when we had our first one). Anywhere between 10 and 20% depending on the mother's age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jesus Social Media has a lot to answer for after reading through this thread. It's packed with people going on about how it's dangerous, is more dangerous than Covid itself, it's probably lethal and a lot more after they "did their research" but refuse to cite any proper source for their information other than Youtube videos and some easily discredited work.

Now I'm the first to admit I'm not a scientist and don't understand the exact science and works behind mRNA vaccines and how they'll work, but I'll put my trust in the literal -thousands- of folks across the world who have and have stood by the massive benefits of the vaccines.

I'm also not an expert electrician, so when I have an electrical problem in my home which I'm incapable of fixing I go and contact an electrician and get them to check it out for me because they have the tools and knowledge to solve the problem. It's literally the same basic concept.

By all means, do some research, but accept that you don't have the answer to things you simply don't understand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

And will all these boosters remain free of charge I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The government quoted 1/300,000 young people will get a blood clot as a result of the vaccine. If 100 million young people recieved it that would count as 333 young people getting life threatening blood clots. If this were as a result of talc powder or birth control pills for example it would be an international scandal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The rate of blood clots for someone on birth control pills is between 1/300 and 1/100 per decade (or between 1/156,000 and 1/52,000 per week of taking the pill).

I would encourage people to read the studies and it's conclusions and not just grab some numbers from it and paste them and try and generate worry, the studies explain the numbers in detail.

The rate of life threatening blood clots is far below these numbers again.

Post edited by astrofool on

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Laurenf35

Wow the shills are getting nasty

The mask Is slipping

Actually expecting those spouting continuous nonsense to actually read and understand something is pushing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Antivaxers (or "vaccine hesitant" as those who were kid gloves refer to them) are always going to be overrepresented here. You need to consider that these people have families and friends and unless they're members of certain ethnicities/cultures, the majority of those friends and family are going to be like the 80-odd percent who prefer vaccines over covid. This means that shíting on about how mRNA isn't tested or that it's an attack on civil liberties comes across as flat-earther talk. Combine that with the fact that we're in the middle of a worldwide pandemic for which we have a good vaccine now and how people understand that it's the unvaccinated who are fighting on the side of the covid, this can have social consequences, like not being invited to group activities or being told to cop on by their peers.

What a forum like this offers is a safe space where they can be their "vaccine hesitant" selves without any social consequences. They have to tell people about how mRNA is new but they know better than to talk such nonsense around real people so that kind of leaves this place where they'll meet similarly minded types who are here for the same reason. As a result, it can give the impression that there's loads of them when in reality this is just the place that they've all been driven to. 80-odd percent are getting vaccinated but they're not here, they're out having the craic with friends and loved ones. The vaccine-hesitant on the other hand, have nowhere else to be.

You are blatantly not taking into account the fact that 1. Only half the population are women. 2. Less than 20% of women take the pill as a form of contraceptive 3. A percentage of these women will not be using it for longer than 10 years

So when you refer to someone just grabbing numbers, were you referring to yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How can you be so certain that it was to do with "the age group"? Where is the medical evidence or data to back up your claim that it's simply due to the age of the participants?

There's any number of causes that effected 3 people on the same day - perhaps a faulty batch of vaccine. The vaccination centre is meant to write the batch numbers on your vaxx card to collate if there is any incidence of faulty batches. In my case whoever was the admin person on my second dose DIDN'T write the batch number on it, which I only looked at a day later. Perhaps they were too busy gathering anecdotal evidence to rehash as disinformation on a message forum. 🤔

• Advertisement

I don't think they include men in the figures for studies into birth control pills though.

And I'm, frankly, surprised that Boards allows such dangerous nonsense to be peddled outside the Conspiracy Theories forum.

But then misinformation drives hits and advertising views

I'm not anti Vax. I am fully vaccinated myself with AZ. So are both my adult children with Moderna and Pfizer. My older daughter got Covid last Sept when she was 8 months pregnant. She was no sicker than if she had a cold and recovered within a week, she went on to have a normal delivery and a healthy baby.

All I was saying if from having worked in a vaccination centre for 6 months, the reactions we saw in the younger cohort this week to Pfizer was concerning and it was the first time we saw such reactions. I am also saying from having worked mostly with women for the last 6 months that 3 of them had sudden bleeding the day after the Moderna. Probably all purely coincidental. But I am just giving my experience first hand from daily observations working closely with people being vaccinated. I am not being disingenuous or spreading dangerous misinformation . I am as entitled to post my experience as you are to have your opinion. I am not attacking you for your opinion or calling you disingenuous. Have a nice evening.

This is the most bizarre misunderstanding of numbers I've seen on boards for a long time (and there has been some doozys on this forum).

Do you want to take a minute and start again?

You are spreading dangerous misinformation because the experience of a handful of people in a single vaccine centre is not representative of the population, yet here you are sharing private information of what happened in a single centre with a couple of individuals as representative of the vaccine experience in general and also the support you own “vaccine hesitant” viewpoint. Not only is it dangerous it’s also incredibly unprofessional

This downplays those women who have had stillbirths and miscarriages caused directly by COVID, you are saying you wouldn't take a vaccine if you were pregnant based on some anecdotal evidence from 3 women you work with, if you were working in a vaccine centre, you should know about all the studies that are being carried out or read some of those that I linked to before spreading fear and doubt among others. Again, some of the terms you are using are straight from anti-vax sites, but if you are being ingenuous, do talk to some of the doctors and vaccinators that you are working with, you are trying to post with authority that you worked in the field, do not abuse the trust that may be placed in you because of that.

I don’t think you understand how rare 1 in 300,000 actually is, or that the vaccine monitoring system which identified this clotting issue also allowed mitigation to be put in place significantly reducing the risk yet further. The same vaccine monitoring system which after billions of doses administered continues to find it remarkably safe. As the months goes on the safety continues to be demonstrated, so much so that the misinformation campaign appears to have ramped up massively to try a drive division through appealing to an emotional response through outright lies, as the actual data is telling us one thing only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any chance the older people have a enough sense to have a descent breakfast and something to drink before they come in when the 20 somethings think they are bullet proof and come in starving.

By the way thanks for posting your experience is your own and Ignore the militant fools on either side, I've added a few the ignore list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

What kind of healthcare worker are you ? Just the way you're presenting evidence of correlation without evidence of causation. This is just a bit strange considering medical workers would be coming from a STEM background......

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Thanks for sharing your experience, man. That sounds very tricky to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm a fully vaccinated healthcare worker, my wife got her second jab last week.

My 16 year old and 18 year old unprompted both want to get the jab (well decided they would, no one wants to be stabbed with a needle!) and I'll support them 100%. There's a drop-in vaccination centre open this bank holiday weekend and they'll get their first Pfizer vaccination. I can't say there isn't a slight worry with any vaccination because there is (HPV vaccine was another one that caused pause for thought), but I just trust in the science.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Rolling around in the muck, of course. I've been on a hiatus from GAA since covid but will be back soon so I can get back to doing it in real life and won't be in here so much.

yes i thought of this too and its certainly a possibility. It good to be able to discuss experiences openly on a forum without feeling you are doing something wrong or being judged . I have been respectful to people who's opinions I don't agree with. I am not sharing "private information" as I identified nobody and I did not identity the center either. About 300 other people that day saw what happened and were sitting close by in the same area so the events were certainly not private! Thanks for your balanced reply.

Open discussion and debate is necessary. The way some people try and shut down anything but their own viewpoint makes them look defensive and biased and unbalanced. I see the value of vaccinations , I am vaxed myself, but I also see the worries and concerns parents might have and fully support them wanting open discussion and more information before they go ahead with their kids

It’s misinformation, pure and simple, and misinformation does not equal debate. Relating a couple of individual instances where you don’t even know the individual circumstances and if they have history on anaphylaxis or other issues adds nothing in the face of billions of doses administered and all of individually knowing loads of young people vaccinated at this stage with no issue. Your “tales” are intended to instil fear, but with zero context have zero value to debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Factors that qualify the brain dead to label someone "anti-vax" in this thread:

1. Have taken the covid vaccine and are fully vaccinated themselves.

2. Be pro vaccine.

3. Have vaccinated their children with all the previous established vaccines, for the good of the childs health.

4. Make no mention whatsoever of conspiracies, youtubers , any of that.

5. Keep an open mind and apply consideration when it comes to vaccinating those that pretty much 100% do not need it.

Did I miss anything?

You missed :

6. Repeatedly peddle half - truths and outright lies to undermine public confidence in vaccines.

7. Post incessant negative comments about the vaccination programme of a country in which you don't even live.

My pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Yes, if talc was causing blood clots, even if only 1/300,000, it would be concerning. However aren't you leaving out some important context?

If talc was preventing some new disease that caused 10 times as many blood clots as talc, wouldn't that change the picture? And if talc was also preventing lots of other undesirable effects of the new disease, wouldn't that increase the case for using talc?

See the following - https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1005 (Covid-19: Risk of cerebral blood clots from disease is 10 times that from vaccination, study finds)

Oh hi again

In the face of overwhelming evidence, are you still insisting that vaccinating asymptomatic kids will halt transmission?

Tell me more about who's peddling misinformation.

Let me guess, the CDC and NY Times are 'anti-vaxxers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The CDC that recommends everyone 12 years and older should get a COVID-19 vaccination to help protect against COVID-19?

• Advertisement

Yea that's them. Certain posters here have a more extremist view than the science the CDC work from stands over.

Do you disagree with the CDC's recommendation?

If you look at the history of the thread you'll see all I've ever said if that ultimately its the parents choice and should stay that way.

Also I've no teenage kids so I don't care about 12-15 either way, id probably let them decide themselves. I'm referring mostly to under-12s, the vaccines for which are due in September.

No one has said an unapproved vaccine should be administered to the under12’s. NIAC will approve when there is data to support that decision. Lots making the baseless assumption that it will be harmful to the under 12’s

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

At the moment I'm not happy for my very young children to be given a covid 19 vaccine (in fact it frightens me). My opinion. Label me how you wish. The over zealous pro vaccine people in this thread are more frightening to me. I asked a group of friends the same question. For what it's worth, they've all had a vaccine (some double dose, some waiting on call for second), all said no. I know it's a small sample size.

Back in February, when we were preparing for junior classes to return to school, I read a lot of posts from concerned parents saying they wouldn't let their kids return to school. This didn't match with my experience. All my kids returned to full classes and all my friends kids returned to school.

Sorry I didn't realise you needed a recommendation from me.

In case I wasn't clear I'm happy to see vaccines approved and offered to anyone that wants or needs them, of any age, from here to Mars for all I care.

Where it becomes an issue for me is when the choice is removed from the parents of said children through measures such as denial of the right to education. I'm aware this isn't the case yet, but that's where it's going in my opinion and we can see it's already in place in certain school districts in the USA, certain upcoming proposals in the UK, not to mention the situation with hospitality. ie: this isn't a baseless assumption, it's a likely assumption.

We can see from the extremists and radicals in the thread that these sort of ideas will have support under justification such as halting transmission, which is not supported by the data at all as I've gone into in several posts (transmission is reduced by reduction of symptoms, but healthy kids under 12 are asymptomatic, etc). I'm not even mega against it, but do accept it requires some personal consideration given risk/benefit circumstances for the child.

But then of course - when anyone dares suggest this they are labelled "antivax", "far-right" and other such absurdities by head-in-the-sanders that must still believe children are vectors or superspreaders as per the red tops a year ago.

But by all means in September when the approval comes in if you want to vaccinate a 3 year old that is in no danger whatsoever from Covid, be my guest. I'm not one for pushing an agenda on anyone 😉

Maybe I will too but (shock, horror) we'll have to see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thank you for sharing your experience. I personally appreciate it.

The difference to February is that the virus has become endemic, so it's not a choice of vaccine or small chance of catching the virus, it's vaccine or virus.

I'm not sure if people have picked up or understood that change yet.

Similarly, we'll see lots of parents concerned about getting the vaccine, but most will end up getting their kids vaccinated and the rest will do it after the first few school outbreaks make headline news.

You've posted a link to an article which absolutely underscores the need to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. And then claimed it means the opposite??

I genuinely don't know if you have an agenda, or if you don't understand what you're posting, or both.

But make no mistake, the moral of that CDC story is vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate.

• Advertisement

Are you still suggesting the vaccinated will not transmit covid and thus we must force vaccination on asymptomatic children to appease the frightened like yourself?

Remember you just repeated vaccines prevent transmission, ad nauseam over and over in reply to every post?

I was only reference February to highlight my real life experiences didn't match what was reported on this site.

Its the same with vaccines, I haven't met any one in real life (at the moment) zealous to vaccinate their small children. Yes over the next few months, this may change.

Vaccine v covid: at the moment, it appears children are at very little risk from covid. Yes this might change.

I agree it's endemic, so when can we drop restrictions?

At the moment, only teenagers are being targeted rather than small children, undoubtedly this will change in time, but remember that small children (especially babies) are those that receive the most vaccines of anyone, it's likely that the COVID vaccines will be incorporated into the childhood vaccination program in future years. People worry about what's new, until it's not new anymore, then they get on with it and don't give it a second thought.

Anyone putting the risks of a vaccine over the risks of COVID is really not paying attention to the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

At the moment I'm not happy for my very young children to be given a covid 19 vaccine (in fact it frightens me). My opinion. Label me how you wish.

Fair enough, your kids. your opinion. I disagree, but that's fine.

The over zealous pro vaccine people in this thread are more frightening to me. 

People who've been pointing out misinformation and actual lies, already debunked, being repeated by the anti-vaxxers are more frightening to you than a virus that kills, or can leave you with long covid? Yeah, but no. That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

1. NOBODY in this thread is calling for mandatory vaccination for kids, or for adults for that matter. Saying so won't make it true.
    2. You're repeating the lie that asymptomatic transmission can't happen. It absolutely can, and it absolutely does happen. We know this. The medics have told us this. Please stop spreading this lie.

No one is talking about forcing vaccination on anyone. Only you, because you're a fearmongering zealot.

I have never said vaccines will prevent 100% of transmission. Just like they cannot prevent 100% of illness and they cannot be 100% free of side effects. That sort of binary absolutism is not compatible with medicine and science. It is the preserve of an angry minority trying to sow fear.

What I know is that vaccines greatly reduce transmission, the same way they greatly reduce illness and death.

You know that too. That's why you have to twist and misrepresent what I say, as well as the facts and the science. You know your position doesn't stand up so you have to invent one that does.

That's why you're an anti vaxxer. You lie to scare people to get them on your side. Having got the vaccine yourself does not change that, it just makes you a hypocrite to boot.

1. What I said was I was against anything that forced (by proxy) the choice from the parents. And this triggered you and the rest of the cc and you lost your minds. Make of that what you will.
    2. I never said that or anything of the sort. Is that you do, call someone a liar but then when you can't find anything they actually lied about, make something up and accuse them of lying about that? You self-proclaimed "misinformation busters" are a joke 😂 What actually happened was one or more posters said that kids simply HAD TO be vaccinated to stop the spread and prevent mutants and variants. All I did was point out how ineffective that would be, as the vaccinated can still transmit it and this is supported by data from practically everywhere with the highest vaccination rates and now the CDC in the US as well. Again you lost your minds.

I thought you'd given up?

It really is hard to take you seriously when you are calling me an anti-vaxxer, nevermind that you are clearly a fanatic and a radical and now are calling me a zealot.

That the choice isnt binary between vaccinating a child and being an anti-vaxxer is literally the point I've been making. But you wouldn't get that.

I shouldn't have to bother explaining again that the reasons vaccines slow transmission, is that they greatly reduce symptoms and the length of the illness, neither of which are very applicable when it comes to children. You haven't responded at all to that, because you can't and instead resort to calling me an anti-vaxxer and a liar. Pathetic really but what more can I do, some people decide on a view and then will never consider anything else despite any evidence, discoveries or developments to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

If the three stooges plus Donnelly are so keen on children getting it, make a simple pledge.

All three agree to forfeit their pension if a single Irish child suffers a serious adverse reaction to a vaccine that they absolutely do not need to take.

See how quick they are to push it then.

Nobody will challenge them to do this, of course. Gutless media, gutless country. I took the vaccine to get my freedom back as a grown adult knowing the vaccine is actually riskier to me than catching Covid. A child shouldn't have that decision made on their behalf by anybody.

Advertisement