Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Once we're finished the first course, do we just start on boosters i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like phenomenal take up and use of the walk in vaccination centres!!! Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Majority could be 60%. We should be given total hospital covid patients and then an of which hospitalised because of covid figure. I don't think that should be too hard and I hope it happens as the government are looking for this distinction. It'll give us a better idea of infections to serious disease and then the same in vaccinated and unvaccinated, age of patient etc. If people who have covid but are in hospital for other reasons are included it'll skew all these figures and ratios

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For certain at risk groups very probably but not until October I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Data released yesterday from CDC re: Delta is concerning. Not possible to infer vaccine efficacy based on the data but it's potentially zero, and best case it's in-line with the findings from Israel. In contrast also to previous findings, viral load is unchanged between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people (based on CT value, Figure 2).

Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Including COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Infections, Associated with Large Public Gatherings — Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

If we have a situation wherein vaccinated people have the same viral load and rate of transmission, efficacy is low for the dominant strain, people's distancing/masking/hygiene behaviours change based on their vaccination status and due to being asymptomatic, then I think we can expect full lockdowns again this winter regardless of how many are vaccinated, if NPHET remain at the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Do we need any more proof that herd immunity via vaccination is unattainable?

The big issue for Ireland moving forward is what exactly do NPHET consider to be acceptable risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

why the fcuk is the mainstream media printing such nonsense like this? It’s scare mongering of the highest level.

The vast majority of human beings do not think logically - instead, they allow their emotions and mental heuristics to cloud their judgment and arrive at fallacious conclusions. 

It is 100% clear that COVID will be endemic, but the normal human mind can not fathom this and needs closure or some kind of "action" (even if said action is pointless in the long run).

I would just make peace with yourself and the fact that most people in charge of government are not making logical decisions.....with this in mind, look for opportunities to boost your living standards/net worth and take advantage of human irrationality...there's plenty of that in the market. 

If you fight the tide of human stupidity, it will drag you in and drive you insane...

I'm wondering what this will mean for FDA approval. As far as I know, case studies such as this are factored into the process. Will they approve a vaccine that isn't efficacious for a dominant strain and perhaps reduces safety at a macro level, even if it's safe per se? What the heck will happen if it's not approved :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

At least one good thing about that report is saying top scientists are sceptical of the CDC’s latest report. Also disputing their claims that Delta isn’t spreading like chicken pox.

“”Top scientists today claimed the Indian 'Delta' variant is not spreading as quickly as chickenpox, despite US health officials saying it is just as contagious.

Data circulating within America's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) claimed people infected with the mutant strain can go on to infect eight others.

The same internal document  also alleged that fully-vaccinated people can spread the Indian variant just as easily as unvaccinated people because they carry a similar amount of the virus in their nose and mouth. 

Dr Rochelle Walensky, the director of the CDC, insisted the agency was 'not crying wolf', saying the situation was 'serious' and that the measures needed to tackle the spread of Delta were 'extreme'.

But British scientists have questioned some of the claims made by the department, which has urged Americans to keep their coverings on indoors regardless of whether they've been vaccinated or not. 

Professor David Livermore, an infectious diseases expert from the University of East Anglia, said vaccine-triggered immunity and the endless waves of Covid which nations have endured meant there were fewer susceptible people around for people to infect.

'The US, like the UK, has substantial immunity from prior infection and from vaccination,' he told MailOnline. 'This will surely be a major drag on Delta's spread, precluding (viral spread) numbers of that magnitude.' 

And Professor Julian Tang, a virologist at Leicester University, said the theory was likely just 'speculation' because it was very difficult to track down the number of cases sparked by a single infection. “”

My cousin is out in greystones now at the open vaccine centre. Said there are Anti vaxxers outside stopping cars going in, in an attempt to change there mind on getting the jab

why are these people allowed do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Moron’s with nothing between their ears will always be Moron’s.

it wouldn’t bother me, i’d just be more determined to go in and get jabbed and flash the vaccine card to them as i walk out.

The aggression and desperation is increasing with them because they know they’re in a losing battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Daily mail forgot to put the part in were the also said the percentage that it will evolve into a regular cold is even higher.

Same scientific paper Same group of scientists.

The rag just runs with the worse case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They will go with what sells papers simple as that

Absolutely mate. It’s mind boggling, apparently it’s happening across the country all week. I’ve gotten into spats with these people as I struggle to bite my tongue when it comes to this.

Literally nothing between the ears, there sources of information aren’t real and they can’t see it. There aggression is getting worse for sure

I see Ryan from the WHO is also giving his best shot of doom too.

Important part:

"The findings in this report are subject to at least four limitations. First, data from this report are insufficient to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against SARS-CoV-2, including the Delta variant, during this outbreak. As population-level vaccination coverage increases, vaccinated persons are likely to represent a larger proportion of COVID-19 cases. Second, asymptomatic breakthrough infections might be underrepresented because of detection bias. Third, demographics of cases likely reflect those of attendees at the public gatherings, as events were marketed to adult male participants; further study is underway to identify other population characteristics among cases, such as additional demographic characteristics and underlying health conditions including immunocompromising conditions."

The bit about viral loads is interesting but it is not powered to assess efficacy and shouldn't be used as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭amandstu

No ,they are in a winning battle but it is others who are doing the fighting on their behalf.

They will reap the rewards of our victory despite not having earned it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do you see yourself as a soldier or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its worth pointing out that anti-vaxxers may be idiots, but things certainly aren't helped by a government and its advisory groups spinning narratives and manipulating figures for 18 months. These people don't trust what they are being told and unfortunately we gave them reason to feel that way.

• Advertisement

I acknowledged that in the second line of my post. "Not possible to infer vaccine efficacy based on the data but it's potentially zero, and best case it's in-line with the findings from Israel."

The study of course wasn't powered, it's a case study, but it does indicate things that weren't shown/expected before, specifically high viral load in fully vaccinated people, high transmissibility amongst fully vaccinated, and very high rates of symptoms amongst vaccinated who are infected.

"Approximately three quarters (346; 74%) of cases occurred in fully vaccinated persons" - this is fine and makes sense

"Overall, 274 (79%) vaccinated patients with breakthrough infection were symptomatic." - this isn't expected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

At what point do you count them as a covid patient though?

At the very least they require isolation, they still require staff to wear extra PPE. They have covid and in hospital, you can't say they don't have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I often find it hard to believe this is the same country that voted by substantial majorities for repealing the eight and gay marriage on basically the premise that it is nobody else's business on what you do to your body or how you live your life.

So they have to be isolated and medical staff wear PPE but are they treating them for covid or is the patient not showing any symptoms and therefore are just being treated for the original injury or illness that brought them to the hospital? Only when they are being treated for covid should they be counted as a covid patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If this was even close to correct our hospitalisations and deaths would be through the roof, as would the UK's. But they aren't, so those findings can't be correct.

Completely understand that but the rationale that this is some global plan to poison children (is what I’m reading) is totally nonsense.

Ive seen them manipulate government messaging to fit there agenda it’s incredibly misleading.

Yeah but don't all sides do that manipulate messaging to suit their own agenda. For both sides are as bad as each other the anti vaxxers and the righteous vaccinated who think anyone that holds a view different to theirs are thick or beneath contempt

I disagree to some extent. You don’t see people campaigning and shoving vaccines down your throat, the anti vaxxers are going out of there way to approach the public and try convince them not to get the jab (take my example greystones as one example.)

Some of them are becoming rather aggressive and volatile.

• Advertisement

The reason why you don't see that is because you have the government are coercing people into getting vaccinations or else the will have freedoms removed. It's not right the path the government have taken with these covid certs for indoor dining and other settings. But you can see it on here when someone brings it up and they are shouted down and told just get the vaccine and shut up.

Advertisement