Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I agree with both of ye but can't see a change coming in the short term. I think the GAA forced Tipp into changing the age grades this year as they'd stuck to 14/16/18 up to now. They're not going to reverse that decision. Arguably the move to U20 has more of an effect than U18 ever had on LC students

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good God! in the commentary I was listening to, the co-commentator Cathal Moore, was positively pro-Dublin, e.g. agreeing every time they were awarded a free etc. I don't think the main commentator is Galwegian. Thought also Dublin were physically a lot stronger than Galway, especially around midfield. It took until the closing stages for Galway's 'tippy-tappy' hurling to finally yield dividends. McDonagh is a spiky character but his first card was very harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Who's this ref? What was that goal disallowed for?

Should be well up here. Dominated the first 20 minutes but didn't put the scores on the board. The ref has been good to Wexford, the free count seems heavily in their favour. They face a battle here so let's see...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

What did Kilkenny ever do to this referee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Ref is absolutely going to town on KK. Should have been well in control after 20 mins though and going to do well to win it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Did you have a free count? Ref not fit to ref a junior B game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny were well on top in the first half despite the scoreline but struggled in the second half. Not sure if Wexford had a sweeper. Kilkenny the better team but could have lost it in the end.

Less said about the referee the better.

I can't believe how open they were at the end of the game. Corner back following his man out to the 65 yard line and leaving 2 on 2 inside. Wexford have to score a goal surely the most obvious thing in the world to do is sit someone in front of the 2 full backs?

Anyway, that's just me moaning. Well done to players and management, nice for lads that age to experience that level of success.

Do they play Galway next?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Hard luck to Wexford, they deserved to win.

Goalie saved us twice with blinding saves.

Our forwards were outworked by Wexford backs and similar to Offaly game, frequently overplayed the ball and/or took poor options.

Well done Kilkenny, they undoubtedly have some really talented players, but they will need a much better performance to beat Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

I would say the free count was 2:1. Got over the line in the end. I think KK were the better team but again we look like a team not able to play to it's strengths. Weren't able to get our better players into it.

Thought Goalie and Full back were very solid, 2 great saves from them at the end. Dunne had a great first 20 and last 10. I think the 6 backs overall are a solid bunch.

Doyle midfield like a carbon copy of Richie Leahy

Shine was out of the game completely and other forwards seemed to struggle too for consistency and taking the right option.

Cork seem to be the team to beat at this grade. Hopefully our lads will continue to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yes on the weekend of the 14-15th. With the Munster Final being a de facto AI SF

We were lucky in the end to get a win considering all the goal chances Wexford had. Nevertheless a win is a win and great to see them not panic when WX got the second goal and to see them tough it out like that, that's a great experience for them. Also I thought we were a better hurling team with the better individuals and will be more likely to put it up to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny wont be winning any All Ireland with them backs. Wexford opened them up every time they went forward. Kilkenny had much better players than both Offaly and Wexford but could have lost both matches. They got away with it tonight due to a great save and poor finishing by Wexford

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to all involved.Two leinsters in a few weeks at this level is nothing to be sniffed at.I was very worried about lack of pace after the Offaly match and tonight it was exposed again at times.i agree we made really hard work of it tonight and were hanging on at the end.I like the look if hughes full back.

Cork with a munster u20 win tonight to add to all Ireland and despite a few lads not available because on the senior panel.

Cork have really got things together underage and could dominate underage for a few years.We could do with going down to see what have they done

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Cork are definitely going in the right directiopn but for me, too much hype. I feel the brand of hurling they play is attractive and "sexy" and this is feeding in to the narrative.

I'd take Galway 18-21 year old crop ahead of theirs any day. It is actually isnulting to Galway in particaular how much hype there currently is about Cork. For me at least, Galway (and to a lesser extent Kilkenny) are producing better all round traditional type hurlers. Ultimately Cork might win the long game, especially if Hurling continues to evolve as a hybrid Lacrosse, but I have my doubts.

They beat a Dublin team that nver really performed on day by 4 pts in 2020 U20 Final. And tonight beat a Limerick team by 2pts that we beat by 16 pts as minors.

It's being well highlighted here that it's the gap from 17-20 where we have struggled badly.Alot of players just drift away.i think the cork team that won last night wasn't a great minor team and don't forget they had a few players not available because involved with the senior.

Cork had a dreadful underage record and did a full root and branch a number of years ago and are now benefiting from that.

Thankfully we have also reacted and will hopefully have better s&c facilities but what is happening to the 17-20 year and beyond?

We set the tempo all them years ago at underage when alot of counties copied our template.We probably need to be doing more now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The ref sucked the life out of the minor match, blowing for no reason a lot of the time. Any chance of a decent flow was prohibited by his actions. As the game went on you could see the frustration getting to the players. Almost afraid to tackle. The young Kilkenny lads did well to pull a win out of the bag helped in the end by a bit of luck. In analysing the match, the conditions should be considered. Heavy showers beforehand and at times during the match made it tricky.

Great to win back to back Leinsters at minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

We could have robbed it with the goal chances in the last 10 mins but ye definitely deserved it over the 60 mins, scores from play was 1-11 2-3 which tells a story and you're ability to get scores easier was a big factor i felt.

Special mention for 2 people involved in Wexford last night, the minute silence pre game was for Willie Carley Snr who passed away on Monday and his funeral was at noon yesterday in Wexford town, his son Paul a former Wexford hurler was on the sideline last night as joint manager of Wexford while his grandson Cillian Byrne was wearing number 9 for us, done their family proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Leinster will be interesting next year with a new man in charge of Wexford and a Galway likely in a full rebuild and definitely without Joe Canning.

It will be interesting to see does the new man in charge of Wexford trust his backs or was Davy right to have not trusted them. I think Wexford probably need a bit of new blood there is a lot of miles on the clock for a lot of those Wexford lads just due to the style of play he demands from his players in his system. Looking at how Waterford and Clare went after Davey left you could see Wexford probably struggle next year.

I think Galway need to start blooding some of their young guns whether they keep on Shane O'Neill or find a new man. This will probably lead to an erratic season or two for them.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Advertisement

I think daveys time was probably up and the novelty factor was wearing off.I doubt the players went down looking for him to stay like a few years ago.He got them to a certain level but the fans now wanted the forwards pushed up.

A few older players found it heavy going recently.This squad is on the go since Liam dunnes time who probably didn't get the credit he deserved.Derek mcgrath will probably throw his hat in the ring but they would probably prefer a more attacking coach like Eddie Brennan but I dunno if he would go.It will be interesting to see where davey goes next.A bit like mourhino it's a bit of short term success but more often than not leaves a bit taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Alot myself included wanted a change, there was plenty of good from Davy's tenure but felt like the time was right for a change. Eddie Brennan would seem like a popular choice down here and id welcome it, a few down here would say a Kilkenny man would never manage Wexford but from knowing lads through college and a previous job im well aware Tipp is your main rival. We all now how rumours work and ive been told he would be interested and that the dubs are lining him up with his work with Cuala so don't know who to believe. Derek McGrath would seem like a viable option with the short commute and been involved in faythe harriers where he has been very well received, i think alot of supporters might view it as groundhog day going back to the sweeper. Other option could be Joe Fortune a enniscorthy man living in Dublin, he managed Dublin to a Leinster u21 in 2016 has at least 1 county title with Ballyboden st endas, was involved in the Wexford u20s this year as a coach which is no endorsement after losing to kildare but Eddie had a similar experience with ye against Westmeath. Ive been told by people in the know finances won't be an issue especially with the financial support of a well known horse trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So if Dublin beat Cork, we'll play Waterford.

If Cork beat Dublin, we'll play Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Don't make me shout for cork, I don't want to be in that kind of position!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I will be roaring Dublin on later. Backed the double of Waterford and Dublin at 12/1. Waterford will run out of steam next week they were flagging badly today and Tipp nearly had them. I wouldn't fear cork either to be honest. I reckon we will beat either. Now limerick in the final will be a big ask but Cody won't have our lads lacking. They are finishing strong this year and a nice two week break should have us flying next week. Fair dues to whoever took over the conditioning this year we are definitely stronger later in the game compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Same man has the S&C job this year as had it last year. Personally I think it's the addition of some form of game plan thats doing it for us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Is there anywhere I can rewatch the Leinster senior hurling final from 2 weeks ago? Can't find it on Sky Go or YouTube. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Ok thanks for that didn't or don't know who he is. It's just we had both Dublin and Waterford bet up a stick at halftime last year and were either outhurled or just not conditioned enough to keep going. It was frightening how poor we played in both second halves compared to the first. We just seem to be more consistent this year.

His name is Mickey Comerford from Loughlins. Former army I think. Was with the U20s prior to this. Sound man and now he's had 2 years with them you can see the difference.

• Advertisement

Did we not get someone else in to help with s&c?I think they also worked with Limerick.

Looks like we're playing cork next.We will need to improve big time from the last game as tonight proves Dublin very average .Cork will cause us big trouble with pace

Advertisement