Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

God knows to be honest I have had a season ticket since 2012 so you just took your ticket for granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Can't really see either of those teams lining out, mainly because Sheedy is not one to make huge changes from what has gone before, but some big calls are needed, and we need to react quicker on the line when plan A isn't working. I'd say Waterford will be favourites for this one but I wouldn't be surprised either if Tipp nicked it. I can see us sitting deep to defend against Waterford trying to run through the lines. If we let them run through like the league game their speed will kill us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Yeah, it looks like a case of a team trying to work off ball movement versus a running game.

But it's knock out now. And it will be a war, and whoever has the most heart and fight will come out on top.

Match ups will be key.

For the Cahill obsessed, it's not a one-man show:

Tipperary Senior Hurling team v Waterford:

One change

Barry Hogan

Cathal Barrett

Padraic Maher

Barry Heffernan

Paddy Cadell

Brendan Maher

Ronan Maher

Alan Flynn

Michael Breen

Jason Forde

Noel McGrath

Dan McCormack

Jake Morris

John O'Dwyer

Seamus Callanan

Tipp subs: Brian Hogan, Eoghan Connolly, Willie Connors, Paul Flynn, Mark Kehoe, Seamus Kennedy, Brian McGrath, John McGrath, Niall O'Meara, James Quigley, Dillon Quirke

• Advertisement

Eoghan Connolly has done very well to consistently win his place on the bench on a talented panel. Would love to see Connolly come on when they bring on Kiely.

I know I flagged Kennedy has having a bad game the last day. I'm still surprised he was the only one who got the chop. Defo see him coming on. Other players can consider themselves them lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah surprised with Kennedy being dropped, thought Niall o Meara would get the start.

No idea how this will go tomorrow, real 50/50, we've obviously got the better players but not sure the fire is still there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thought we might get a couple of changes but not shocked to see just the one. Sheedy is backing them to deliver a response and know to never write these lads off. The middle is where i worry, get the forces marshalled effectively in that sector and I'd be more than hopeful we'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think most deserve it . Other than the 3rd quarter meltdown nobody really had a bad game .

Brendan Maher and noel McGrath maybe . But they are two of tipperary greatest ever players . And noel could've had 4 points in the first half.

I'd expect to see 5 subs used over the 70mins this time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

The narrative reading Friday's papers seems to be a close call, Daly and Enda McEvoy slightly favouring Tipp, Derek predictably expecting a Waterford win.

I assume the change is more tactical than a reflection on who was dropped or not. Waterford the last day withdrew their forwards a lot, leaving Dessie Hutchinson up top on his own lots of the time. I assume that Sunday will be similar, Tipp will look to squeeze hard in the middle third to choke Waterford's running game at source. Waterford have their own particular style, unlike Cork or Limerick who use short quick passes to bypass congestion and tackles Waterford like to step around or run past the nearest opponent and then suck in another opponent before passing on. Tipp do the same a lot with their short puck outs, Barrett or Heffernan step inside or around their man, draw someone else toward them and then play the ball on.

In 2019 in the round robin Tipp used Sean O Brien against teams that they expected to play with three inside forwards and Alan Flynn when they expected a corner forward to play out around mid field. I think Barry Heffernan is really suited to that role, he'll follow his man and defend well but he blends in good time on the ball when Tipp have it along with usually some great fetches as well.

I really have no clue how tomorrow will pan out, we've had Waterford's number when it's counted for a good while, but under Cahill they are improving, how much we'll know tomorrow. We have no reason to believe that Tipp won't perform, this bunch have done it for us for so many times, now's not the time to doubt them.

We probably could have done with three changes, but one it is. Here goes nothing. C'mon Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

I thought there would be two three. Don’t know how Brendan is still starting at this stage.. I hope to god he proves me wrong today.

Hon Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Poor Seamus Kennedy gets the blame for the collapse. No other way to read it.

hope tipp prove me wrong today and but blahs by 7 for me. their youthful mix of power, speed, skill and confidence to win the day.

but again hope tipp can do it.

Bonnar is a huge loss.

John Mc was an able deputy in 2019. But he has lost all form. Hopefully, someone else can step up.

I'd imagine we'll try 6,7, 8, and 9 with puck outs - see how that goes.

I can't see Cadell playing at 5 - should be switches from the get go. Might be wrong on that.

Will be interesting to see what the formation is and what the tactics are at the beginning of each water break.

What do I win.

Rode by the ref a bit.

Had the goals chances to win it. Particularly, John McGrath's goal chances and more. Didn't take them.

We'll be in a transition period now for a bit.

I wouldn't have said that Ronan Maher would have been part of the trim but after today... very unimaginative play and shots.

Sheedy's conservatism has undone him. Way too slow with the subs. And with the likes of Kehoe's energy you have to ask why he wasn't started.

Best of luck to Liam and the lads now. Thanks for the memories and the All-Irelands.

While we could have poached it, the better team won in the end. Our passing was terrible in this game, we looked so far off match sharpness it was criminal.

And still, I think we lost this one on the sideline. No coincidence when changes were made we started dragging ourselves back into it, don't buy into any talk that Waterford were tiring.

Waterford were by the far better team

But at least it’s good to see you admit some home truths

• Advertisement

Waterford played well but how much did we hand them from stupid mistakes? Stupid wides as well We were desperate on the sideline too. That's the most disappointing championship defeat for me since 2012. Its going to be a very different championship team next year and for next year's league start all the young lads on the panel

Yeah tbf Cahill has made a serious transformation of them, and best of luck to them going forward.

The 2 first half goals in particular were sickening as we should have had control of the ball. I hate to single out players but I was surprised Noel and Brendan stayed on. I was worried about Paudie Maher full back this year but in fairness to him he held solid. I'm expecting this to be the end of a lot of the 2010 group still soldiering on.

We kind of have to go for broke in the league next year and just play all the young players to get them some experience, similar to Cork this year. Talent is definitely there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Tipp beat them selves in many ways, far too many wides, as has been the case all of 2021 and very poor passing were at the core of an overall average performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair play to Liam and Waterford, definitely the better side but final scoreline was a touch unfair i thought. Our shooting and distribution were the two telling factors, thats the big disappointment for me. Lads fumbling balls off the deck, pop passes going over heads etc. And still it was in melting pot into garbage time, 19 times out of 20 that John Mac shot nestles in the back of the net and you don't know how the opposition will react. So it goes!

Some lads will have a decision to make now but that's up to them. Been an absolute joy to watch and support for more than a decade now and died with their boots on today, as you'd expect. Thought Cadell did ok and Kehoe had some impact and has always looked an excellent prospect. As to why he wasn't on sooner or been more of a feature, valid enough question I would say.

That's exactly it. Wides and poor passing. And the younger generations were just as guilty of it. Not an older generation thing at all, not that they were very good but they didn't let the side down. It was a collective problem. It's easy to point at the older lads and management but it was a collective problem. Jake Morris, case in point. It takes time and experience for the youth to develop and come through. It won't happen overnight. Sheedy has done a good job of binging them through, but he was off in his use of subs for me. And Kehoe deserved a start. But people calling for wholesale changes for youth's sake have missed the point.

I have to say Noel bust himself today, he covered the whole field.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I thought Noel McGrath was really, really poor and was very lucky to not be taken off.

I actually was one of the people that was supportive of Sheedy but the difference in our mentality, our energy when the fresh younger players came on was like night and day. From minute 1 the old guard were outhurled at every area of the pitch.

We played well for 15 minutes and even that 15 minutes was littered with a rake of missed wides and a ton of missed goal chances. The Waterford penalty was at the other end of the ground but I'm told it was a farcical decision.

It's a bit tougher to take because despite being clearly the worse team for 3/4 of the game, we could easily have taken the game had we converted just one or two of our many missed chances.

Sheedy was far, far too slow to react to their 11, Jack Prendergast in the first half who must have been involved in nearly all of their scores. He got a handle on it in the 2nd half but far too late.

Waterford were out on their feet at the end - don't let their flashy finish take away from that fact, so it is also difficult to put tremendous stock in our 15 minute purple patch coming at a time when they were exhausted, having been on the road longer than us.

It's time for Sheedy to move on and a rebuild to take place.

What is needed an announcement in autumn that Cahill is in. then give him 2 years and we will be contenders again

tipp are going no where until a complete clean out is done. Hopefully That should take place before Cahill comes in. So he starts with clean hands.

if for any reason Any other course is taken we are in big big trouble .

Good point. It was just so odd to see the whole team so sloppy - honestly can't remember the last time it happened. Wasn't even as though it was just a certain period where the opposition were on top that forced errors, it was prevalent throughout. One thing I will say in the forward line was Tipp caused Waterford the most problems when the younger players were on as they ran at the defence. On a day when our passing was so poor and how Waterford set up, our best chance of scores were to run the ball through the lines. Thats why it was no surprise to me that we started to get our way back in when the subs were on (far too late imo, should have been on from the start of the second half) like Kehoe.

I don't want to sound too harsh as Noel is one of the all time greats for Tipperary, and yes he tried hard but it was just not happening. It is more a reflection on managements decision making. As alluded to before the game, dropping Kennedy wasn't well justified.

• Advertisement

Just on Waterford's end, I think that save re-energised them. Just on the overall effort today, I'm proud of those Tipperary lads who owe the county absolutely nothing. 3 all Ireland titles in 9 years and a small gust of wind away from winning in 14. A hares breath away from finals in 15 and 17. if anyone of them stayed on as panellists id have no issue, but there is no way all of these lads can be expected to be starters. it's unfair on them, their legacy and their bodies too. They've played so many games for us over the years, it has to have its toll.

Sheedy done a lot of great things for Tipp hurling. He dragged us kicking and screaming into modernity in the late 00s, but he's now become stale and unimaginative. Far far too loyal. Sport is cutthroat, whether amateur or professional. Just look at the fact that Gary Donovan failed to make the boat for Tokyo and his brother Paul was probably under severe pressure from the new kids. Just look at Cody, and all the great Kilkenny servants he dropped over the years. Either stand still or move forward.

Advertisement