Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

They'll have momentum, and would love a crack at kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Not dissimilar to ourselves in Galway either tbf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bit of a rebuild for a couple of years with a different manager and then Cahill taking the job for 2024 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Neutral here who enjoyed the game mostly or what I saw of it (the second half) immensely but had a feeling in the last 15 that Lyons was absolutely riding Tipp... thought Waterford were very physical in defending the lead, well tactically and consistently guilty of fouling and what seemed like obvious frees not awarded to Tipp and some clear as fûcking day yellow card offenses when frees were actually awarded but Lyons not going to his pocket... odd..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair tipp have been average enough in recent years

Didn't get out of the group in 18 and rode their luck in 19, v wexford and kk

Two poor years since covid, hammerings by limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Brilliant display by Waterford!!!

I'm not so sure given how limerick eased past them last year X 2

Feel they would need an extra week to tackle limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes but galway added a bit more youth over the last 3yrs. Tipp have added Jake Morris and thats about it. Thats why I think sheedy will walk. He was going to win with his team. He wasn't interested in adding new blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Liam2590

good win for waterford, Tipp probably need a bit of a change

• Advertisement

That panelist has a voice for a sound proof room. My goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Well done Waterford great win. Hard luck Tipp, great game, time for Tipp to go with youth.

Seamie

Brendan M

Pádraic M

Bubbles

Noel

Barret

I'm only guessing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I can count only six possible reiterments - Barrett, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, Noel McGrath, Bubbles, Callanan.

Two mahers, bubbles, mcgraths, possibly Bonner depending on how the recovery goes

Barrett is 28...

Bubbles is 29... and had a very good championship...

I thought Noel was great today - covered the field really well. only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Agree with most but not bubbles. just a guess.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Guessing probably though a new manager would shake the panel up ala chaill in waterford

Congrats to Waterford. Fully deserved. Best of luck to them in the remainder of the championship. In fairness to Tipp, they kept going to the end, but the management has made a rod for their own backs. Imagine having back-to-back u20/21 winning teams and still managing to completely make a hame of the transition? And there is no dressing it up, they made a total and utter sh1te of it. Giving them another craic next year would be rewarding failure. The first fifteen needed freshening up this season. By all means keep the experience on the panel, but to have no trust in the young players going forward is unforgivable. You look at Cody for example, and the great players he got rid of after the 2002 win. To expect some of those lads (brilliant lads who owe Tipp nothing) to have 70+ minutes every game against a fast team is baffling.

• Advertisement

Lyons got alot wrong today (overall he didn't have a bad performance i felt as he let it flow), but we didn't lose because of Lyons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This 4 weeks in a row is some balls

Limerick or Kilkenny could slaughter Waterford/Cork/Dublin because of fitness

Its not just about age though. If you have a couple of all irelands and you see your team mates packing it in and theres not a great chance of you winning one in the next year or two then they'll definitely question whether its worth the hassle. I think that was a factor in Joe's decision too. I think he felt if the 2nd didn't happen this year that it wasn't going to happen.

Well, the lads already have two. But I'd be surprised if they retired, given their ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Having been there today, as a Tipperary fan (acknowledging Waterford as the better team today) - Waterford were out on their feet for the final 15 minutes.

Reading back over the comments here, they managed to tag on a goal and a point after Tipperary had the huge mental blow of not scoring the goal. That shouldn't hide the fact that they were absolutely exhausted.

Having seen them in person, I'd have little doubt that if Waterford were able to play like they did for 55 minutes today they would beat Kilkenny or put it up to Limerick. However the fact that this is another game on the clock, and the fact they have to go again next week makes me absolutely positive they will lose. I'd bet the house on it, purely because of the last few weeks having taken their toll. It was very obvious today.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I don't understand the hurry to get the hurling championship over and done with.

The winning quarter-finalists should get a two week break before the semi-finals.

Expecting amateur players to play at that intensity week in week out devalues the competition.

Congratulations to Waterford on a gutsy performance in their third week out on the trot...Tipp had their chances but ultimately didn't take them and the penalty was a huge call.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Fully agree, its a severe disadvantage coming through the qualifiers for teams. Very much plays into Kilkenny and Limerick's hands. What difference does an extra week do to the schedule for the GAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Congratulations to Waterford... Savage performance for a team playing three weeks on the trot. Penalty decision looked harsh on Tipp and had John McGrath got that goal I think Tipp might have gotten over the line as they had all the momentum at that stage... I thought Sheedy was very magnaminous in defeat and showed a lot of class in his interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Any Waterford and Tipperary fans who were going to the game earlier miss the start ? I ask that because I was coming out of the city and there was a tailback from the railway bridge back to the silver springs hotel and it didn’t look like it was moving much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Not saying it's right but I suppose it's not supposed to be easy after you loose a game and are trying to come through the back door. There is a reward for going the direct route. I expect without restrictions next year 🤞 they will hopefully space it out a bit for teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It's hard to see the two (P & B) Mahers or Callinan coming back unless Sheedy stays. Even if they stay under a new man I wouldn't expect them to see much of the field and that might be better for them to come on and help close games with experience. I can't see them wanting to be on the bench most of the games however. Bubbles is well known to lack a bit of self discipline and would a different manager be able to get him in the shape he is in this year. Would be amazed to see Bonnar back I know he's a real warrior but that would be just gluttony for punishment after all the injuries of recent seasons. Wouldn't expect Barrett to go anywhere. Noel McGrath is a harder one to call he looks a shadow of the hurler we all know he is for the last two years can he rediscover it again next year very hard to tell.

I would expect about 5 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

You'd have to feel for Ronan Maher. He won't get his crack against Limerick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

The second chance is the reward. Limerick or KK won't get a second chance & everyone knew the schedule before it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Not quite, the backdoor was introduced so that teams were certain of more than one game, the provincial champions would have either have a minimum of three games possibly four depending on their provincial draw. (numbers include All Ireland semi final)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

I was surprised Austin Gleeson got mana of the match, I would have given it to Kieran Bennet, think he's having a real cracker of a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dubs could shock us all but very doubtful

1927 was the last time they beat Cork in championship

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Waterford full worth for their win today. A really nice team to watch. One note is their final quarter performances these last two games. Dying away like that against the likes of Limerick and they will be caught. It might just be a symptom of the high octane style they play.

For Tipp, all the pieces of the jigsaw were there today but their execution was not. I guess you can count on 1 hand championship games in which they have been that sloppy over the last 13 or so years and you wont win these kind of games with just over 50% conversion rates. Still a game they could have won.

Cahill doing immense work considering the low point of where Waterford were in 2019. Sheedy will probably finish up. Callinan and surprisingly Paudie Maher might still have a role to play for them but Brendan Maher looks done.

Its the year of the refereeing controversies I think. The non-penalty penalty today which considering Tipp were only 2 down into injury time did have an impact. The lucky escape from reds for us in the Munster final. The penalty given against Clare, the one for Clare against Waterford aswell even. We even saw a Tipp player cynically taken down inside the 20 today and not a hint the referee would give a penalty. Will we see the cynical play that dogged some games last year re-emerge for the rest of the year and we end up in square 1 come league next year?

Maybe the refs need a review screen on the half way line for championship games. 30 seconds to review and make the correct decision?

The hype can definitely start in Waterford now, 4 weeks in a row is a curse though, thinking back to the 2018 round robin, it was like a 0% win rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi, can someone advise if the Cork Dublin game is on FTA TV today? Or behind a paywall somewhere?

Soft free for Cork

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a score from Harnedy., 3 a piece after a sluggish start from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Jack O'Connor is some rocket!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Take it out !

What a goal by O'Mahony.

This Cork team have certainly changed from previous Cork teams of recent years, they know their way to the green flag.

Cork up by 1-06 v 0-07 at the first water break.

So far they're being out fought by Dublin. That won't wash against a higher standard team. Cork really need to up the workrate.

Ah come on. Big dive from Meade

Farcical free for Cork there. Dublin player didn't even know he touched him.

Another Owens special. Yellow for O’Leary?

Sure he booked the Cork player for a strong challenge, but whatever.

Harnedy puts Cork 6 up, not sure how we are so far ahead.

Your cover has been blown. You've just been outted as Michael Martin posting away on your phone there :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement