Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lived just across the East Link. The traffic affected me for years. So I have plenty of experience of Sandymount traffic, rat runs, etc. Great fun taking up to 1.5 hours getting from Merrion Gates to the East Link roundabout at busy times. Strand Road makes a great car park and will remain so for a while now. Pity all vehicles don’t have automatic shut off when stopped to save poisoning people.

You do realise that within the decade the majority of cars will not have running motors in stationary traffic due to either having stop\start technology or being hybrids or being full electric vehicles.

You do realise that electric vehicles aren’t the answer to transit issues in Dublin and are still major pollutants during extraction of raw materials, processing, manufacturing, and charging? Also, near impossible to get the batteries recycled, prohibitive for new battery installs, and end up in scrap yard sooner than expected as a result.

I’m a dirty diesel driver just for clarity.

Still miscomprehending . I’ll apologise on behalf of your schooling :p

• Advertisement

I have better things to do on a Saturday evening than arguing with someone like you. You're posts speak for themselves as to the type of person you are. Good evening.

Deliberately misunderstanding my posts says far more about you. Of course I’ll pick you up on something like that. I prefer to stick to the truth. Apologies if you don’t like it

Sorry everyone for this being dragged off topic.

It still doesn’t make cars the future of transit in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

DCC are appealing, by the way. Not sure anyone said that yet. In the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't be silly. DCC are too busy preventing more apartments being built in the docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course they are. I'd say the Departments of Transport and Local Government held emergency meetings immediately with DCC and told them to appeal it because of the implications of the ruling across the Country.

Should get a hearing in the Court of Appeal by this time in 2023.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, and by then strand road won't be an option for pedal operated vehicles anyway (except pedalos).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Build a bridge from Merrion Gates to Howth with appropriate turn off's for city centre and Royal Dublin Golf Club, just in case any Southside members of said club would be upset.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i don't have much of an oar in this anymore. i used to cycle strand road to get to and from work (and had plenty of near misses on it from motorists who were still not fully woken up or just didn't care); but what we're left with now is that there's still no decent route for a cyclist to get from south/southeast dublin to north/northeast dublin, or vice versa. donnybrook is a hellhole (where someone was AFAIK critically injured only a few days ago); ranelagh is worse, and ballsbridge not much better.

strand road northbound in the evenings (bar the stupid little roundabouts) wasn't actually too bad, but beach road (once you'd passed seafort avenue or thereabouts) was an unfriendly place for cyclists, especially novice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Actually, that's wrong too. It's not closing off half the road. It is opening up half the road, to two-way cycling traffic, scooters, mobility scooters, trikes, hand cycles and more.

The 'couple of minutes extra' was in the context of local residents getting out of the area. Some will have to go a different direction in a slight detour. Would anyone like to give details of any detour that would be more than say, five minutes?

Some traffic moves onto the other road, some traffic evaporates, like your own example in relation to DLR.

Cyclists don't 'force' car drivers to do anything, unless those cyclists are armed or have telepathic powers. Motorists decide themselves to veer into the cycle lane, because they've forgotten how to use their brakes.

There is a most disingenuous narrative round Strand Road linking the provision of the cyclelane to climate change, almost as if having the cyclelane will head off the projected sea level rise. Its quite bizarre really.

Yes we should decarbonise this Country, restore natural habitats and ecosystems and conduct ourselves in a much more sustainable manner, not just for the environment but also to remove the link of our economic fortunes to Oil and Gas. Unfortunately though, even if Ireland became the exemplar of green practices in the World tomorrow, places like Sandymount are still at huge risk because of the continued environmental ignorance of giant developing economies over which we have no control.

We'll need to flood protect Dublin Bay one way or the other, let's get designing that now and make it a haven for walking and cycling instead of getting in the weeds with nonsensical proposals like Strand Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

There is a most disingenuous narrative around climate change that there’s no point to me or us making any change, seeing as others are not changing and therefore our change is ineffective.

This disingenuous narrative is pushed by people with a vested interest (usually financial) in maintaining the status quo.

Its a logical fallacy seeing as all change must start somewhere. The only certainty is that if no one makes any change climate change will continue to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Forcing traffic to the East Link Bridge onto roads less able to handle it has nothing to do with climate change.

Encouraging people to use alternatives to cars has everything to do with climate change.

• Advertisement

"places like Sandymount are still at huge risk because of the continued environmental ignorance of giant developing economies over which we have no control."

my comment you quoted was of course a jokey one, but people are right to point out the irony of EISs being required for a scheme which promotes low carbon transport, and especially since it's right in the area most at risk from climate change.

but i'd also comment on your statement about being in danger from 'developing economies over which we have no control', two comments to make actually. first, the damage has not been done by developing economies, it has been done by developed countries (including europe), albeit with india and china making up for lost time in the last five or ten years; and second, this narrative of us not having control plays into the 'we should wait till they do something first before we act, because we're only small', which is a tactic used by people who usually simply don't want change.

What do you mean? Are you asking to specify what’s the alternative route a truck should take instead of northbound on Strand Road? It obviously depends on where it’s starting from and where it’s destination is.

Theres already a 5 axle ban in place in the city for many years. I haven’t seen Armageddon happen due to this.

No one is suggesting to ban motorised vehicles. It’s about making alternatives as attractive to as many people as possible.

I'm asking what alternative route trucks should use to get to the East Link Bridge.

Again you're thinking I said something I didn't.

To reiterate, we need to be massively ambitious in Ireland with the high level stuff, eliminate fossil fuels, decarbonise industry and agriculture, passive building standards, restore natural systems and encourage carbon sink growth, phase out ICE vehicles etc. But assigning such virtue to a piecemeal bit of cycle route is nonsense. Especially because of the consequent disruption and emissions increases elsewhere.

And it would be a dangerous precedent to exempt infrastructure for bikes from EIA, AA requirements. All major works have an impact that needs verifying. The fact that it will be bicycles using it in the end is irrelevant.

I'd also add that I haven't a clue how most of the City Council's COVID cycleways passed the three stage safety audit process for new works, so their track record needs intense scrutiny in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Allinall

From where? Dun Laoghaire? They should use m50 and port tunnel. Lighter vehicles should be used for within the city deliveries. I think it’s possible to have an exemption licence for journeys where there really is no alternative, eg delivery to a building site. This system is already in place.

There’s lots of alternatives.

Why do you think trucks want to get to East Link? It’s not their destination I suppose? They are transiting through to the port or M1/M50 which are all well served by tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

There is a climate emergency.

The roads are shared. Unless Sandymount is going to close its borders and secede from Ireland (and pay for its "own" sewerage, water, telecoms, electric grid, gas grid, schools, libraries, even roads), it's part of the city and part of the country. These are all our roads.

Building the Sandymount Cycleway, part of the Sutton-to-Sandycove Cycleway, will enable a lot of people to use bicycles for the short journeys that are the majority of car journeys. If they want to drive to Clonakilty, fine, but if they want to go to town, it gives them a safe option to do so.

In a country with a serious and growing obesity problem, it's important to provide a way of travelling short distances without sitting in cars gradually bloating to whale size.

We're facing an epidemic of diseases caused by inactivity and obesity, including heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, and mental illnesses. Making it easy for people to cycle will make it easy for people to be thinner and healthier.

And the economic effects of the money poured into the family car aren't good for Ireland. It would be far better for the economy if that money were circulating locally.

Yes every other area needs to change first - agriculture, industry, building etc but not me. It’s just a rehash of no change is warranted because developing countries blah blah. It’s always someone else that needs to start first or be inconvenienced or have higher costs etc. This is just lobbying on behalf of one particular vested interests.

• Advertisement

Back to the east link bridge as a destination. Having lived for 10 years a stones throw from it, I can’t see many truck drivers visiting it as a destination.

Advertisement