Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Nothing to do with discrimination, these people decided not to get vaccinated. Vaccine-preventable infections can be deadly. Every year in the US, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, approximately 50,000 adults died from vaccine-preventable diseases.

It’s not about me, it’s about everyone. The science shows that vaccinations work and are necessary to get past this awful pandemic, others who don’t want to partake unfortunately have to deal with the repercussions - how is that so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I’m glad Leo came out today and asked for clarity around this. It is completely misleading, equally, I don’t buy into the fact that this is an IT limitation.

Ive worked with the HSE IT Infrastructure and I do know first hand how poor it is but it’s not held together with plastic either.

They are well able to produce more accurate data representing true hospital cases. It was the same with vaccine numbers, for a long time they wouldn’t or “couldn’t” measure the vaccine doses being administered due to “IT issues” around the time of the hack.

Not buying that either. The fact is the HSE is an incredibly bad run system, they have the man power to produce more accurate reports but probably don’t even see the reason to. On top of that, GDPR is redundant in this case, they can produce more accurate numbers without putting peoples data into three public. We aren’t looking for names, addresses or even information on the patients issue - we are simply asking for accurate data which is easily produced should they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have some bad news for you about all those vaccinated people you are happy to sit beside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah. I have a good friend who can’t access a lot of pubs, restaurants and clubs because of a medical condition which means he has to use a wheelchair. I have yet to see anyone protesting for his rights and demanding equality of access for chair users. Surely it’s medical apartheid no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Of course it's correct, it's a case study, there's nothing to interpret. We still largely have lockdown in effect which is why we don't see the above happening here at scale, but we have seen outbreaks arising from parties etc here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy. Well, it depends how you define conspiracy I suppose, but no I'm not a believer of the madder stuff. However data protection or not we dont actually needs names and addresses we just need anonymous data on whether someone is actually sick from covid or is sick from something else and just happens to be positive.

I mean this whole thing has cost us and continues to cost us billions and billions and upsets billions of people. And we cant have better data because of IT systems and data protection? Thats not saying that data protection isn't important and I wouldnt want to see it softened but I work in IT and there are ways around that dont actually impinge anyones rights. There just has to be a will to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You literally done a whole post about it being about you! It is discrimination, it’s whether your happy with it or not is the thing.

just because you think it’s ok doesn’t change what it is.

You are happy cos you can live your life a bit more and it benefits you personally, it’s quite simple really. You’re happy to exclude others cos you want to feel safer, that was literally what you said.

Im vaccinated, as is my wife, friends etc but that was my choice to do so. But the very definition of discrimination is treating a person or particular group of peopledifferentlyespecially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skincoloursexsexuality, etc, etc.

Incorrect assumption on this “being about me.”

Not sure what post you read, as mentioned prior (and by many others,) this is an incredibly unusual and once in a lifetime event that cost millions of life’s worldwide. People have lost so much and unfortunately in many cases they have lost everything - people who refuse the vaccine have made that choice themselves. This isn’t just something that has happened overnight, millions of people died as a result of this devastating virus, the economy has been shattered, depression and suicide is through the roof, unemployment reaching all time highs - we owe to these people to come together and stop this disease.

You contradicted yourself with your definition of discrimination too, you don’t choose your skin colour, you don’t choose your sex, you don’t choose your sexuality either. You do however choose to not take the vaccine in order to protect yourself and others, there is a massive difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

It's so weird to see people trying to argue that denying people access to parts of society on the basis of health status is not discrimination. It's even more bizarre that the "discussion" is always framed as a binary choice between opening hospitality with discrimination or not opening at all and continuing the economic hardship. Everyone is aware of rapid tests and, though their efficacy is lower than PCR tests, they have been used successfully in other countries. They are not "snake oil", they have been reviewed and recommended by experts the world over. These could have been used to provide an equitable solution that served society as a whole rather than setting the precedent that the government can decide who has the most freedoms and it is terribly disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Also, the argument always centres around anti-vaxxers. Let's put things into perspective for a moment: anti-vaxxers in Ireland are thankfully a small minority. The majority of people currently being discriminated against are not anti-vaxxers; they are young people who are by and large very eager to get their vaccinations! This is the part where someone tells me that everyone who wants a vaccination will have one shortly but it's not the length of time that defines discrimination, it's the act of discriminating! I mean, come on! We literally have people working to serve food in restaurants who cannot eat in those same restaurants for several weeks.

I am as desperate as the next person to reach the end of this nightmarish road we've all been walking but I fear we are losing our way trying to reach the destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It’s unreal isn’t it. I mean the thinking that it can’t be discrimination because someone has a choice is beyond bonkers really.

Its not discrimination because it’s only for a little while. Honestly it’s bonkers.

Most people recognize it as discrimination but look at it as a necessity under exceptional circumstances yet some don’t even see it at all, mad!

I wish this gene therapy worked to give you the protection that you want, but it does not. Vaccinated people get covid, viral loads in vaccinated people who have covid are just as high, over confidence among vaccinated people may actually work to expedite spreading and on the demographic level vaccine immune escape variants are most likely to develop among highly vaccinated populations. Exclusion on the basis of vaccination status has no rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Does anyone know if the Jannsen vaccine is open to all as yet? I've been out of Ireland since April and return in two weeks. I'd like to get the Jannsen shot to be done in one go, rather than waiting several weeks for a second shot. But I fall into the 35-49 category who were not being offered the Jannsen vaccine so far.

Sweden never closed restaurants, cafés, bars and pubs and never had a pass or required testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

There is certainly no plan to hurt children, but many governments may en up doing so unintentionally in their haste to climb out of the rabbit hole which is lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I see what you're saying , and it would be good to have that data , but nevertheless the very fact that they are positive puts an additional strain on isolation facilities and paths of care .

For example . Someone who tests positive with a broken leg but is asymptomatic will have to wait until a theatre slot is available for Covid surgery , ( (stretched enough in Orthopaedics normally ) , and the theatre will have to completely cleaned and left to ventilate before it can be used again for any other patient . Do you not see how every time this happens it will cause additional work and delays.

This is the same with xrays and any other procedure the patient may have .

Also risk of post operative infection and poor outcomes are increased symptomatic or not . Just having an additional virus circulating nevermind Covid can cause problems for previously healthy patients. There is a higher risk of pneumonia and clotting problems , and inflammatory conditions that would not be an issue pre Covid.

To say that people ' tested with Covid " in hospital are just a number and don't require extra care is either naive, stupid ( not saying you are ) or disingenuous in the extreme .

This has been explained by myself and other healthcare professionals on these threads and elsewhere since last year . Funny how some seem to have such short memories .

God no.. then we would get those eejits in hospital refusing to take a test and wear a mask etc and filming nurses and doctors at work, like ' she who can never be mentioned' !

Fun and games !

Nobody knows what they may or may not have diagnosed down the line .

So many developing inflammatory conditions like arthritis and respiratory issues and diabetes can be triggered by viral infections.

Covid has been cited as triggering Diabetes in previously low risk people , heartattacks , thrombosis, cardiac inflammation and arrhythmias , myocarditis , renal insufficiency and failure , and the list goes on . And in those who had mild ir asymptomatic infections , not just moderate or severe illness .

They may be making their own stick to beat themselves with tbh .

You missed the point there !

What he said was that he is happier to be in the pub as those who are vaccinated..

Those who are vaccinated are getting on with their lives .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Whether its the shambles of the upgrade or people have had enough of covid, its telling when there's no reference to the daily numbers. Approx 1,400 cases, 160 in hospital and 26 in icu.

Also noticed MM tweeting that Ireland has a greater percentage of fully vaccinated adults now than the UK, strange that he never mentioned that they're far less restricted than us though!

Nah .

Just what I said above your post . Not sinister just lacking clarity.

Agree would be nice to have those distinctions made in the data . It is a crude measure for sure .

Wish we had better systems to tell us we should not care too much if one Covid patient was positive , as it isn't really real unless they are coughing and breathless, is it ?

Maybe they should be left on the main ward or put in a ward that is called " Covid positive, but be grand "!

I don't think you are a conspiracist, but there is no manipulation as some imply .

Yes I agree more detail would be good as far as the data is concerned.

My point is that some would use that to say that' hospitals are not really under pressure because those patients don't really have Covid , they just tested positive '.

I have seen 'those patient' and some end up in ICU , not because of their underlying conditions or whatever they were admitted with ,but because their Covid infection has gotten much worse day by day,and on top of having surgery or whatever they were admitted for , it has overwhelmed them.

Very hard to say how anyone will react physically to testing positive ..if we had that knowledge we would be doing much better with Covid . We can only go on what is known , experienced , and can be extrapolated from international studies and data .

Others who were admitted for Covid were fine and discharged home a few days later or were sent home on oxygen with monitor .

So how would you go about dividing up those numbers.

" 12 admitted with Covid. 10 tested positive for Covid. 3 contracted Covid in hospital.

Of the 12, 6 were moderate , 2 were mild, 2 went to ICU and 2 discharged.

Of the non Covid Covid , 5 were grand and just had their surgery / tests , but 3 went on to infect 6 other patients, 3 became very unwell , 2 died in ICI

Of the 3 that contracted it in hospital, one went onto ICU , one died from heart attack ,maybe caused by Covid ,had no previous cardiac history, one went home and is now suing the hospital "

A bit more complex..Where does it end ? And in that information individuals would be identifiable.

And in the midst of it all apart from everyone having so much more to talk , worry or think about ,it doesn't add anything to patient care .

It will come out in the wash eventually when the HSE have time to employ someone like Relaxbrah to look at that information and analyse it in detail , but it's been too busy to do that till now and the hack delayed a lot of work that could have been done between this wave and the last.

Discrimination is all that yes, if the person has no choice , but they do now , they can choose to get a vaccine .

Anyway it's a temporary discomfort for a good public health reason , just as asking people to isolate when they have the infection or are a close contact, or do you consider that a gross infringement of your rights as well ?

What makes you think it's going to be temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It's not that complicated. '100 covid patients in hospital, of which 70 are being treated for severe covid. 20 in ICU, of which 15 are being treated for severe covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Agree with all of this.

People think the number of covid patients in hospital is a black and white scenario. Treated for covid or treated for something else and simply had a positive test.

Covid is a multisystem disease that can effect people in different ways. It's not simply respiratory requiring oxygen.

People can improve or deteriorate very quickly or covid can exacerbate their condition that caused them to be hospitalised in the first place.

Reviewing and publishing the condition of every covid patient on daily basis is not straight forward like people think it is or want it to be.

But that isn't what people are looking for , is it ?

No problem if that is it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's all well and good but at the vaccinated levels we are currently at (which is also constantly improving) we need to start treating this like any other illness. We need to stop all these incredibly restrictive measures that is hampering all the other health care services. The worrying thing is we seem to be nowhere near this point even with over 80% of adults vaccinated.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

A logistical nightmare unless numbers very low , and largely irrelevant to patient care .

Will be one of those things that will be after the fact , and those looking for it will complain about it being too detailed and that the HSE are just wasting time when they should be looking after patients equally , not ' discriminating' 🤗

Advertisement