Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I don't know why you are getting your knickers in a twist about this.

I am simply stating the fact that a close friend of Alfie's, a regular visitor to the house, had difficulty finding it in August 1996 - therefore people may wish to consider this piece of information when discussing exactly how easy it was to find at the time.

But get snippy all you like. No skin off my nose.

Was JT not taking sleeping pills as well?

She said painkillers but I never heard her say which ones. Paracetamol would not make you sleep any better. A codeine\opiate type probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

If I understand Deec correctly, he is challenging the point made earlier that "it had to be a local" implying that no one other than a local could possibly have been the attacker.

He is quite right on that point...it may have been a local, it may not.

The location of Sophie's house is not a factor which automatically eliminates all non-locals.

So, again, its a red herring. Not really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"I know someone who has lived in Lowertown all her life. She says Sophie's house is relatively easy to find once you knew where it was "

So, a local then ,

as Wizard said at the beginning of this little discussion .

Or someone with clear directions on how to find it.

They wouldn't find the house with your directions at 1 above

• Advertisement

That is just one person who had trouble finding it. It does not follow everyone would

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I think it's safe to say, whoever battered Sophie to death knew where she lived.

The manner in how she met her demise is interesting. She suffered a frenzied prolonged attack, this was emotionally charged and personal (in my opinion).

Too me, it stinks of a scorned rejected lover.

The rumours doing the rounds at the time of her death, was that she was returning to her first Husband, that the romance had been reignited.. Were these stories ever follow up?

How did Husband number 2 feel about that? Was it enough to tip him over the edge? I don't think he felt to much about her, she was soon replaced with a new piece of fluff.

Did she reject another man to concentrate on hubby No.1? Did the rejection send him over the edge?? Who was the man wearing a beret hat seen around the place before the murder?

So many lines of investigation have not been thoroughly explored.. The French connection is relevant in this murder, weather that be to eliminate people of interest or to focus more on their alibi's.

The motivation being pinned on Bailey, is that he stumbled his way over to Sophie's house in the middle of a winters night (drunk), tried to throw his leg over, was rejected (amazingl!), and then lost the plot altogether, and proceeded to smash her face in... It's such a surreal allegation, that it's darkly humorous..

I'm not defending Bailey in any way, shape or form. He should never have been central to the investigation. Whilst the Gards were chasing him, the leads were growing colder by the day.

Bailey probably loved seeing himself on the news everyday, and probably kept the fires of suspicion burning towards him on purpose to bask in the media glare for longer.. He is an intelligent man, I'm sure that he saw no other outcome other than a total vindication from all aspects of this horrific crime.. That backfired on him spectacularly.

As much as Bailey is to blame for his own downfall, the book stops with the Garda investigation. The Gards should have dismissed Bailey and chased up all other leads still open to them.. They picked their man, they got it wrong. Tried to fit him up, they made a mess of it.

So here we are 20yrs later - Still at square one.

Yes, I would go along with much of this theory.

For me, the number one difficulty I have with the Bailey guilt is motive.

For all the obvious negatives of his character and behaviour, I can't see a reason for him to kill Sophie. Now, if there was some physical evidence of him being at the scene, or even if it was established that they knew each other, then perhaps motive would be less of an issue. But even the proposed motive - sexual- doesn't ring true. If the attack had been motivated by sex then one would expect there to be evidence of sexual activity or, at least, attempted sexual interference. But there was none.

I am intrigued by the stand out elements (facts) of the incident.

1) She had her walking shoes on - fully laced and tied. This to me, means that she was'nt suddenly attacked in the house and making a run for the gate to escape.

2) The sheer ferocity and extent of the attack. I agree with you. This indicates emotion and passion.

3) The discarded bottle of wine.

4) The reason for her visit - the reported purpose ( to get the heating fixed) is hard to accept. It may. however, have been the reason she gave her husband.

5) The ex lover who (it is alleged) had only a receipt to provide him with an alibi.

So here's an hypothesis for discussion:

The lover, shows up, unexpectedly, at the house, with a nice bottle of wine and the intention of trying to re-kindle the relationship. Sophie sees/hears the car at the gate, puts on her boots and walks down. She is totally unwilling listen to what he wants to say, and refuses to let him enter. Harsh words are exchanged and, not for the first time, he attacks her in a rage....the red mist descends and he batters her senseless.

Horrified at what he has done, he jumps into the car and makes his escape, discarding the wine down the road a bit.

The wine here is interesting. Either it has nothing whatsoever to do with the case, or its absolutely key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Her ex-lover had a receipt for a French telecoms company, he had work done on the 23rd and the technician confirmed he had been there when the work was carried out.

He would also have had to hire a car to get there, there was no record of him doing so and no car hire place reported a car being returned with blood traces inside it.

Then why is there blood on the door? The garda originally thought

"The 38 year old woman appears to have been attacked in her five bedroom home which overlooks Dunmanus Bay a few miles from Schull sometime after 10 pm on Sunday. A trail of blood led from the house to a laneway shared by her home and one other. Her body was found there the following morning.

Detectives believe she was hit on the head with a blunt instrument before she ran from the house. Her attacker caught up with her and it appears she tried to defend herself."

i think she was hit outside the door and tried to get back in , couldn't and ran. Hence blood on door. If she went down to the gate and was killed at the gate why would the killer go up and smear her blood on the door and not go in the house?

Sheridan says its a couple of hundred yards to the gate. Sheridan also say the police belive she went down through the field, there was blood on a stone. So she must have been bleeding before she got to the gate

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

The murder appeared to escalate out of control, it’s not like someone creeped into her room and smashed her face in while she slept. It seems she was first attacked with a sharp object, possibly the missing axe. She may have been carrying that herself since there was no evidence the killer entered the house. The attacker then moved on to bashing her or throwing a rock at her from behind, likely while chasing her down the hill. When she stumbled on the barbed wire she was pulled back onto the ground and hit with a rock or slate. The killer then seems to have had time to go to the unfinished shed 20 yards away to get the concrete block to ensure she was dead.

If it was a crime of passion or a ‘contract killing’ you might expect it to begin with deadly force with a weapon brought for that purpose. This seems to have been an exchange of words or insults that escalated to an assault then to a murder once the seriousness of the injuries went over the edge.

Yes, good point, that does seem to be the most likely explanation for the blood on the door, but I can't see why she would have her boots on and fully laced up. There was also, apparently, no sign of any struggle in the house itself.

Any ideas about the discarded bottle of French wine?

It was, I believe, about 70 quid's worth and was not on sale anywhere in Ireland at the time.

a crime of passion can start with words or insults. Her husband said she could be very insulting and cutting and would be if rejecting sexual advance [paraphrasing i cannot remember exact words]

Incidentally, there are a number of inaccuracies in this IT report.

Yes, true. What I am getting at is that it seems far, far less likely that the perpetrator went there with the intention to kill.

I think the most intriguing part is that she was wearing her laced up walking boots and also a dressing gown. She wasn’t wearing socks though and walking boots would not be comfortable laced up without them. This all suggests to me she intended to leave the house but the person was not so familiar that she took her time to shout out ‘I’ll be out in a minute’ so she could put socks on.

You would also expect her to be inviting them in, rather than putting a bathrobe over her night clothes to go out to them. Probably someone she knew to see but wasn’t comfortable inviting in? There was some urgency if she didn’t have time to dress herself and possible signs of danger if she did in fact bring the axe.

My own feeling is that it was stolen from the house after the murder. Seems to be a common ghoulish thing for people to do, maybe they realized being seen with or having an empty bottle of expensive French wine, possibly with the victim’s finger prints on it, after the murder was not a clever plan. It wasn’t found during the intensive search for the murder weapon. If Sophie brought it with her on that trip it would make sense that no one would notice it missing.

I understand that she wasn't actually attacked in her home.

Her body was discovered by Shirley Foster, not a German neighbour.

Bouniol was not her surname from her first marriage. It was her maiden name.

She had not, at this time, returned to her first husband.

They also state that skin was found under her fingernails......this is the first time I've seen this claim. If so, then that is a definite source of DNA ID. But, perhaps its another inaccuracy?

Didn't her boots have socks sewn into the top of them? i don't think one would wear socks with those type boots.They semm designed to be worn without socks. You would have two pairs of socks from the top of the boot up. Also the DPP report gives two examples of Bailey being rejected and not being bothered by it. One of Bailey's friends said Bailey was liked by ladies. Men who get upset about rejection are not usually popular with women

• Advertisement

It doesn't look like they had socks sewn in, there was fabric rather than leather around the ankle to make them more comfortable but they don't look any different from typical walking boots. You can see them very clearly at 29:14 in the first episode of the Jim Sheridan documentary.

Re. Bailey being rejected on previous occasions, that may be so, but in this circumstance it was very different for whoever was outside her house. She was on her own, the killer was trespassing in the middle of the night and it seems as though she may have confronted him while having a weapon to hand. The DPP's thinking on the case is just bizarre in several instances.

There was also, apparently, no sign of any struggle in the house itself.

That is another reason i think she was attacked outside and ran to the gate rather than going down to meet someone. You are correct re the inaccuracies in the IT piece

I don't know about skin under her nails but it is mentioned in a 2008 report here https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dna-hope-in-hunt-for-sophies-killer-26457900.html

I have seen or heard there were socks sewn in. Maybe West Cork podcast. I have seen them in the bath shot. Is that what you mean? It is not 29:14 in the first episode of the Jim Sheridan documentary though.

At 29:14 of the first episode in the NowTV player they show a crime scene photo of her legs and feet as they were discovered. The walking boots are laced up but you can see there's just bare skin under the laces on her right foot. They definitely don't look like they have integrated socks. I've honestly never seen walking boots with integrated socks, maybe snow boots?

Wow,

Thanks for that. I think its the first time that such significant DNA evidence has been mentioned in this thread.

So we have bloodstains on her shoe and skin under her fingernails. It would be interesting to know more about what tests were performed on these samples. One would think that this would be enough to rule Bailey in or out.

They simply state that the samples could not be linked to any of the existing suspects. Was there a DNA database in existence at the time?

Have the samples been preserved?

There was a case in Nottingham where a young girl was murdered. Nobody was arrested but many, many years later, a man was arrested for Drink driving, he DNA taken and run through the database, subsequently bringing up a close match. However, he would have been far too young at the time of the offence so they began to investigate further. Turned out to be his father, who was jailed something like 25 years later.....I think its called familial matching....

I know the shot and i have it now. there are socks at the top. see the black part above the boot. . i disagree the The DPP's thinking on the case is just bizarre in several instances.

As far as I know, all the French re-testing came to nothing. Anything the gardai couldn't test a the time was sent to the UK, samples were re-sent two or three times to the UK and some went to the US. The West Cork podcast says no DNA evidence was found by the French team except a possible unidentifiable sample from one of the boots that could have come from the autopsy team removing them.

I only know what is in the report and do not know if it is correct

That is true I uploaded a clip from West Cork yesterday about the DNA on her shoelace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

As the only turn off in approx 1.5km length of the road it isn't difficult to find.

Directions from Dunmanus or from Kealfadda Bridge would have been trivial to follow.

I'd say even with the above information anyone bothered looking could locate the house on a map.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement