Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from FTTC to FTTH

Options
  • 28-07-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've currently got vodafone FTTC, getting around 100Mb/s. Vodafone are now offering €30 per month for 500Mb FTTH and i'm able to avail of this in my location.

I currently have the incoming RJ45 faceplate at the back of my hall, i then run a cable from there under the stairs to my rack where it goes into the vodafone modem (which is bridged) and then into my Unifi USG which handles the internal routing and DHCP, VLANs, etc.

My questions is:

1. Will the incoming ONT box be in the same location as the existing and will i be able to run and RJ45 cable from it to my rack under the stairs?
    2. I assume I'll need a new router from vodafone, will i get able to just replace the existing (bridged router), get the new vodafone one, bridge it and keep my existing setup as it? If so is there a guide on how to do this?
    3. I have the unifi USG router setup as PPPoE and use the vodafone username/password for it to gain WAN access, is this also needed with FTTH or can it be left on DHCP for the WAN?

PS: A pic of my setup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

ONT is the "modem" itself, so you don't need Vodafone router if you got your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Do you know if my own router needs to be configured in any specfic way, username/password or such or can the WAN just be set to DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Plenty guides on boards , regarding 3rd party routers and FTTH :

1) PPPoE User and Pass of your ISP ( unless you are with EIR FTTH )

2) VLAN 10 needs to be tagged too .

after that just plug your router into ONT directly.

Advertisement