Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary

Options
  • 31-07-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice here..

I saw a job advertisement that listed the wage in a ball park figure of between x and y. Lets just say both figures were above minimum wage.

At interview, I was asked my expected salary.

Without really thinking, I said 'market rate' adding ' but of course this can be negotiated should you decide to offer me the job.'

Then they stated the wage was going to be min. wage.

I know I badly answered the question.

Did I handle this badly and have I created a bad impression?

If I am offered the job should I accept it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Are you prepared to work for min wage ? I don’t think you did anything wrong by asking for market rate . Best of luck and hope you are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

My concern, albeit in hindsight was that in the ad they clearly stated the wage was in figures above minimum wage. Now all they are offering is min wage when it comes down to it. 😭 in hindsight it was an unfair question because the salary was listed in job ad.

Post edited by I am me123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

How much above minimum wage did they advertise? They'll pay as little as they can which makes sense from their point of view. If they interview 5 good candidates and offer them all minimum wage only to has to say yes and the company has saved money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They may save money in the short term but the successful candidate may simply move on if they get a better offer and the company is back to square one again.

Between €12 - €25 per hour.

Are figures listed on job adverts really reliable though? Do they always 'ring true' as it were in the event of a job offer than what was on paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How much are you earning in your current job?

If you will earn more in this job, take it.

If you won't, then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The OP would have to be currently earning less than minimum wage for this job to pay better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you've other options don't take it but if not take it and look for another job, when you find another job then go back and renegotiate for the higher amount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Of course, it's a risk they take. Depends on the industry and position being filled but that can definitely be a problem. Might be a role that can be easily filled and not much training required, we haven't really been told.

I am currently on a C.E. scheme earning €225.50 per week (C.E. programme rates).

• Advertisement

Which means your hourly net rate is €11.53 (19.5 hrs) and you have the option of taking a part-time job.

Nope.

Many low wage jobs offer only limited hours. Sometimes hours that change each week.

Meaning many people would be better off in 40 hours at minimum wage than 30 hours on a little more.

The OP's concern was about the hourly rate not number of hours. Number of hours were never mentioned. The job was advertised at an hourly rate in excess of minimum. The actual hourly rate on offer is minimum. As it turns out the OP is currently earning more than minimum with fixed hours.

It was advertised that the salary was between €12 - €25 p/h.

At interview, I was told it was 10.20 p/h.

I am currently recieving €225.50 per week as per C.E. programme rates.

Would I be mad to take up this job money- wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That’s an absolutely massive spread, surely must have been a typo if ‘market rate’ is actually minimum wage

How many hours per week is the job offering?

In general I think it is mad to stay on a makey-workie CE scheme for any longer than you absolutely have to. Exceptions would be in you are learning specific skills which would be useful, or if the (hours * hourly rate) of the only job you can find is less than your CE programme rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

if you’re offered the job tell them that you’ll accept min wage until you pass probation but after that you want 15 euros an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

You counter offer. NEVER accept the first offer unless you know there is no movement, Civil service for example. They will either say yes or no but it would highly unlikely they will withdraw the offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You would be a fool to take up a position with a company that has duped you with misinformation.

Do you really want to spend your valuable time and labour for a company like this?

Set the minimum you are prepared to accept. That might be €12, the lower end of the scale you were already expecting. Make it very clear that this is the minimum you will expect, and seek other benefits such as training or whatever. Then let them come back to you with their offer and make the decision.

Also, that quoted salary range of 12 to 25 €ph is huge. No company sets such a wide range. The higher end was deliberately set to lure and dupe you. And now, they back down from even the lower end of the range. Smell the rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

The real question is what’s the job? Should it be more than a non wage job?

• Advertisement

Advertised as a 20 hours per week position.

C.E. is 19.5 hours per week.

It is an administrative job.

Will a year or so in the job give you valuable experience to boost your career? Does it fit in to your longer term goals?

It would give me more hands on experience in a different company than the place I worked in on C.E.

Don't know what to do for the best. It's so hard to find employment at the moment but don't want to be 'taken for a ride' as it were, at the same time.

I think I can understand your conundrum.

But I would still advise you to hold out; I just don't get good vibes from the company, given their misinformation. There are so many factors in the equation which only you can solve, but given the misinformation they sold you, I would think no. Hold out for better. You will value yourself more. Never work for cowboys.

Do the hours of work let you do both, ie stay on the CE scheme, and take the job? If you can, that's what I'd do in your shoes. If not, stay on the CE scheme, because that will give you more money.

Usually I would agree with the advice that the others are giving regarding negotiating, and not accepting less than the advertised minimum.

But I know from your earlier posts that you have struggled with some jobs. I think that you probably have less skills and experience that then company was hoping for - but they can see potential in you, so they are willing to take a change on you.

Rather than negotiate on wage now, I'd be asking about how often wage reviews happen, and how long they expect it will take you to get to get €12 per hour.

Now, there is a chance (maybe quite big, even) that the company are mess-ers who are taking advantage. For you, with a CE scheme on your CV, I think that i's a chance worth taking. If you find they are messing you around, then stay just long enough (maybe 3 months) to build up your skills and experience so you can get a higher rate in another job.

Very good advice here MrsOBumble.

I think sometimes that a lot of potential employers ( not saying this is the truth in this case) sense desperation for work in some candidates, and think they will do anything they propose in order to secure the job, money wise, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Did I handle this badly and have I created a bad impression?

If I am offered the job should I accept it?

No, I don't think you handled it badly or that you created a bad impression. You were caught off guard by the question for reasons cited and your reply was fair.

Your "impression" is at comma stage not full stop stage IMO. You could make contact with them Tuesday morning 9am prior to being offered/not offered the job with a post interview note.

Some people swim at interviews others sink, the majority of us always can find at least one thing we could have said/answered differently. If I was interviewing and an interviewee came back to me with a post interview note, it certainly would not damage their chances of getting the job.

A post interview note shows that the interviewee is willing to stand up and set things straight when they don't do things the way they wished they had the first time.

Had the job been advertised for the rate they are offering you now would you have gone to interview?

Are the advertised 20 hours a week subject to change?

If the job had been originally advertised at the rate they are now offering, I'm not really sure if I would have applied for the position.

I'm also unsure if the hours advertised are subject to change.

Hi all, thanks for the advice thus far.

After much consideration, I have decided not to take up the position.

I have not signed a contract.

I was due to start tomorrow, so should I just call/ email in morning & let them know my decision?

Would I be in a position to go back to my C.E. scheme if I explained to my supervisor?

• Advertisement
Advertisement