Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC Build, is it all compatible?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It all seems okay. I'd personally be bit happier with another fan in that case. From a quick look at it, it seems everything will depend upon the 120mm AIO fan at the back only. But with no dedicated GPU, and the CPU being the only real source of heat it should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Thanks Spear. Would another cheap fan just stuck somewhere in there help?

Does anyone know if I will have to update the bios on that board for it to work with the 5700g cpu? Had a quick look on YouTube for instructions on how to do it but would be great if I didn't just incase I run into problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

BIOS wise, it should be okay. A quick google shows others were fine with it upon it's release in 2020. If not, I'm sure someone could loan you an older CPU to do so. AMD have a program to provide a kit for such a purpose too, though that'll take longer.

I think I'm going to change the ram because I think that one is overkill for the motherboard.

This one is 3200 MHz:

Corsair 178300 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit for AMD Ryzen, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072LX99L9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_87P922A23PYJ1N7QPT0J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was only getting 32gb to future proof this build but decided to go for 16gb now to save costs.

It depends on what the focus of this machine is. Ryzen can decent benefits from higher RAM, so I'd still recommend 3600Mhz stuff, if performance is important.

16GB is a little minimal if you're going to be using it for productivity work. You may also have issues getting a suitably matching upgrade kit down the line. The move to DDR5 begins in a few months, so manufacturing capacity is going to move accordingly. I can't even find matching DDR4 kits to expand a machine I have, and that's using run of the mill Corsair RAM too.

• Advertisement

Anyone any advice where I might pick up a Ryzen 7 5700g?

Just ordered a Ryzen 7 5700g on Currys UK website. The Irish one didn't have it. Getting it delivered to a friend in Scotland and they are coming back to Dublin next week.

£330 (a little more expensive than planned)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/processors/amd-ryzen-7-5700g-processor-10227697-pdt.html

Soooo the AIO fan and pump turn on etc. but no post. I assume I have to update the bios. Anyone got a ryzen 3000 cpu I can borrow in the south Dublin area? I can pick up and drop back pretty quick. Would really help me out.

Just an update for anyone interested. It's all running amazingly. The motherboard was DOA so I got a new one, slight upgrade:

ASRock B550 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AX Supports 3rd Gen AMD AM4 Ryzen™ / Future AMD Ryzen™ Processors motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089VRZ6JX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_WX30DCJ5E6KHCHPMXEXG

I tested the AIO vs the stock cooler and the stock cooler did a better job at keeping the CPU cool so I returned the AIO and got a Noctua fan for the back . I'm just shocked how bad the water cooler was.

I got a game code with the cpu: Warframe AMD Ryzen. Anyone want it? As mentioned already I'm not a gamer. Not sure if anyone would want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Must have been either a bad mount, or the pump wasn't running.

No AIO should be worse than a Wraith.

• Advertisement
Advertisement