Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Options

Comments

You can't search for it since it's a private forum

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

I just want to read some pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

When you search soccer the first two posts show access requests to the soccer group. If you click the menu button top left then you find groups at the bottom and soccer is the only thing you see. Pretty sure it also stickied in Feedback. None of that is rocket science in fairness. It's lazy for people to still be claiming they can't find the friggin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Site is bolloxed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 thecamcam

its obviously deliberate to scare people away , so they can retire the site and all its hassles . perfect way to do it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Is the prison forum hidden from viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

For me, it only shows threads that I was subscribed to before the move to Vanilla, so this place is pretty much done and dusted for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I come on here a fraction of times now.

I hope site admins soon realise what a dreadful mistake they have made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

In fairness , you can’t …. When you search for soccer you get lots of other posts asking where the **** it has gone….

some posts mention https://www.boards.ie/group/151-soccer … but that is deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

Any stats available that illustrate the fall off in user activity?

I'd be curious to know what range it's in..

I'm sure total activity has been reduced somewhere between 30-60%, but it's difficult to be more precise because navigating around old forums you used to visit is such a chore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Is this a ather ted eurovision episode where boards was working too well and they couldnt fund it any more?

So they decided to make it an absolutely horrible new website and everyone would leave?

Awful awful awful update

So many threads on boards are posters talking about the significance of boards.

Along the lines of a certain mobile service provider. All that is missing is the quote "You've never had it so good" : For the millenials boardsies this was a British Prime Minister, telling the British people in the 1960's. Just look at Boris & Co now and see what you think.

That is not 5 seconds. Then you need to wait 24 hours for access to be approved. If you don't meet the requirements you can't even read it either. They still haven't fixed that. Wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult.

'so eh I made a couple of nice themes for boards'

Sorry lol I just keep seeing that 😁😂

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Has anybody figured out how to turn off notifications for one thread you've commented on without turning off notifications for all threads you've commented on?

I unclicked the bookmark thingy but that didn't work.

It renders the notifications pointless because they're mostly about multiple posts on threads in which I've lost interest.

That 'like' button is obviously broken on mine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When are we going to get active users at bottom of page on most forums again, I miss this and it was good to catch someone actively online rather than this waiting for random responses to your post, I've a lot of good friends in the Gigs and Events forum that I like to catch up on especially the Electric Picnic thread, its always nice to see online. Is there a setting where you can enable this?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No, you can’t enable this on the new platform, and I don’t think it would rank highly as a new feature suggestion until the more important ones are fixed first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A thread last posted in at 7:46 pm is halfway up the first page on AH at 11 pm

Fair to say, this place is fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

cant see the most thanked posts of the day either.

I used to click in and open the top 10-15 most thanked of the day in a new tab each.

Easy entertainment and a gist of what was happening.

That option is gone.

cheers, son's crying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It probably does....but as nobody is active, the bottom of the page has no names 😂

I left for a week and came back to see what has changed. Still a load of shíte. I don't think I will be back. Maybe try again in a couple of months.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Like many modern businesses, seems to deliberately want to fail.

I've been hungover today but I wouldn't normally be using this hape of shyte any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope. Per Odhran's post in the feedback thread a few days ago, it seems to me that this change was all about cutting costs because they couldn't afford to maintain/host the older site anymore. Nothing to do with improvements or future proofing the site at all.

The result is a cut down, far more basic (but presumably cheaper!) platform that they are now trying to customise into at least functioning somewhat like the old site - which is ironic as the amount of customisation and problems it caused was one of the reasons cited as the need to change. What happens when Vanilla change the core software? Will that break everything again? (my guess is very possibly!)

As I said over in that thread though, between the platform change and laundry list of functionality issues it's created, plus the point that for many long term users this was the last straw, I really don't see this site surviving much longer unfortunately :( It's already a shadow of what it was 2 months ago and I don't see any signs of turning that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Funny, the wibbs post linking to the explanation of the site not making money as to why they couldnt keep it - It was mad greed.

I inquired here a few years ago about advertising my business on a particular forum with very little traffic and the price I got was astronomical! Like, Mad money.

The advertising strategy of the site was never right and to be fair, ad blockers were never "blocked" I'd forgotten boards had ads at one stage.

I, and many many others would have gladly advertised here had the price been fair, Their seemed to be no revenue plan in place what so ever, particularly around advertising. I honestly believe a site like this with such precise targeting potential could have generated a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

What the holy hell happened to this once good site?

Cant find my forums or anything else!

what a shitshow...........

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

The mobile app is completely broken for me. I can't use it at all. Everything is 3 weeks old. Nothing updated. Very disappointing 😞

• Advertisement

YOU MANIACS

Advertisement