Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Circular Road to live?

• 18-10-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

I was wondering what the area of the NCR near Hanlon's Corner or near Aughrim Street would be like to live in? I'm a 25 year old male. I've heard conflicting stories about this area, could someone help me out a bit more? Thanks.

Is the NCR area between Aughrim Street and Hanlon's Corner relatively safe to live? 54 votes

Yes, it's fairly safe
    29% 16 votes
    It's safe enough, but not for a family.
    31% 17 votes
    It's alright, but a bit shady.
    11% 6 votes
    Wouldn't touch the place if you paid me. Very shady!
    27% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Unlessyou're looking for a local offie I think you posted this in the wrong forum! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

Only realised that after I posted, mate. The offie is important though. Th mod will sort it all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Are ya drunk OP??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Drumalee would be my biggest concern - more from a general hassle / anti-social activity perspective than anything to do with the Hutch feud. There's also a generally depressing vibe off many of the bedsits and half-way houses in the vicinity. It's an area with loads of potential, but a bit of a dumping ground still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

The Drumalee estate is indeed a dump. The other day I walked past it up Prussia St. and there were feral scumbags in their early teens at most just hanging out behind the estate wall and chucking things at passers-by and cars. It does though seem to be a fairly self-contained problem, and the general scumbaggery doesn't seem to blight the surrounding areas too much.

Stoneybatter / Arbour Hill / Smithfield have loads of great stuff, between shops, pubs, restaurants, takeaways, cinema etc. and are very close to town. I'd definitely favour a place somewhere in there between town and Drumalee, so you don't have to pass that place on foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I'd agree with all of the above. Drumalee is a kind of sad looking place - an older couple died of hypothermia in there a few years ago and were not discovered for days but its the young teenagers hanging about that would worry me most. I regularly walk by that intersection and see them causing mayhem - in amongst the other 'transactions' going on. I know someone who lived in the gated apartments on the other side of Prussia St for a good while and they liked it fine but you would want to be sure your accommodation was secure. If you are happy with that It's a very handy spot to be in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I lived on NCR between Hanlon's Corner and St Peters Church for about 5 years. My flat and car were both broken into during that time which was obviously unpleasant but I never actually felt personally unsafe by day or night walking around the area. I do think it gets a little bit more dodgy the further west towards Phoenix Park because there are a lot of cheaper bedsits that can attract certain unsavoury types. I still feel with the LUAS and more DIT Grangegorman students invariably moving into the area, will gradually give it a less intimidating presence (although late night parties and other typcially student antics etc could be more of a problem then!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

alastair wrote: »
    Drumalee would be my biggest concern - more from a general hassle / anti-social activity perspective than anything to do with the Hutch feud. There's also a generally depressing vibe off many of the bedsits and half-way houses in the vicinity. It's an area with loads of potential, but a bit of a dumping ground still.

I have a friend who lives close to there. There are Gardai constantly at Drumalee. There was a special unit and a squad car over there at the weekend. If anything I would say living close to it is a bonus as you have a ton of Gardai constantly on your door step. He has experienced no hassle and he lived there a while. Dublin is a weird city, you can be a in kip of an area and have nothing happen to you. But you could get trouble off someone walking through Ballsbridge.

Most of the bedsits are gone. A ton of the houses which were near tenements have been converted to gorgeous single family homes or offices. There are no real bedsits left around there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wouldn't live on the NCR at all.
    Some of the side roads are ok though.
    Oxmantown road area is better

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

Thanks for the reply folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Most of the bedsits are gone. A ton of the houses which were near tenements have been converted to gorgeous single family homes or offices. There are no real bedsits left around there anymore.

Some of the houses have been converted - sure, but the vast majority are still flatland - with the bedsit vibe, if not actual bedsit conditions. I'd bet there's still a fair few illegal bedsit set-ups on the go, mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think the further West you go, the NCR gets better. The best part, IMO, is between Hanlons Corner and Phibsborough. The dodgiest part is East of Dorset street. It's a mix of flats, bedsits and reconverted family houses.

It's generally a good bit better than it was in the 80s/90s. With gentrification and middle class families moving back into the city in the past 15 years, the whole inner part of Dublin 7, including Stoneybatter and Phibsborough, have improved. Grangegorman, located between the two, is a particularly nice little area.

Drumalee estate (built on an old cattle market site) is a bit dodgy but the problems are largely confined to the estate itself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd imagine the redevelopment of O'Devaney will help the west end of the road too. Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one of those old houses. Maybe one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

We moved in recently about halfway down Aughrim St; yeah, Drumalee and around is still a bit shady (cycled by it one night and had some guy roaring at me) but I wouldn't exaggerate it. Still many bedsits around as far as I can see (I imagine there's a lot of pre 63 properties) but the area feels quite safe to me. But not quite sure about that stretch to be honest. If you're planning to buy and do up, worth a punt, but rental might not be worth the hassle.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hi,

Very old thread so apologies but wondering what thoughts people have now and what experience of living on the NCR?

Safety? Too many flats and no real neighbours? I see there is an addiction centre near Grangegorman, any issues with anti-social behaviour? Would you feel safe walking to/from a bus when life gets back to normal?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

NCR appears to be a melting pot of all types of people. It's perfectly fine at night, safety-wise imho.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hi,

Very old thread so apologies but wondering what thoughts people have now and what experience of living on the NCR?

Safety? Too many flats and no real neighbours? I see there is an addiction centre near Grangegorman, any issues with anti-social behaviour? Would you feel safe walking to/from a bus when life gets back to normal?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you.

There's probably anti-social behaviour, I know of people who've had their cars broken into for example. Personally I would have absolutely no safety concerns about walking to or from a bus.

Passenger wrote: »
    NCR appears to be a melting pot of all types of people. It's perfectly fine at night, safety-wise imho.
    There's probably anti-social behaviour, I know of people who've had their cars broken into for example. Personally I would have absolutely no safety concerns about walking to or from a bus.

Great, thank you both. Just wondering really for buying a house and what the area is like for safety and neighbours etc.

aquinn wrote: »
    Great, thank you both. Just wondering really for buying a house and what the area is like for safety and neighbours etc.

I bid on a house on one of the side streets near Hanlon's Corner, we just got outbid as it needed a bit of work, but myself and my wife were perfectly willing to live there. I now live in D7 anyway so still not a million miles from NCR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Many of the townhouses down near the Phoenix Park end that have been converted to apartments look rather run down and shabby which is a pity as it could be a lovely area. Personally I would choose Stoneybatter or further out the Navan road instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I walk and run down the NCR at all times of the day and I never have problems, the roads are very busy with cars and there is plenty of people around so I wouldn't be all that concerned.

Thanks very much to those who responded. We do run it frequently but just wondered from a living point of view and safety. Anyway house gone obscenely over asking so off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tommka

We'll move to North Circular Road Dublin 1 in 2 weeks. Is it safe to walk home from work at night?

I've heard some stories, about stabbings, attacking ppl, robberies... Am just frustratedy since obviously, I do not want to be scared all the time. Others said, it is not bad at all, it was like years ago, but it changed. So, what is the truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Never mind.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The NCR is a very long road that cuts through Ballybough/Summerhill, Dorset Street and Phibsboro. There are good bits and not so good bits, depending on your neighbours.

Do you know whereabouts on the NCR you’re moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I lived on a street just off NCR in the Cabra area for a year but I had to park my car there on NCR as there was no parking on my street and my car was broken into twice in a year, nothing was taken because I didn't leave anything in there anyway, my mum's car was also broken into there (hers was during day time, mine at night) walking there during the day I felt fine but walking as a female during the night sometime scared me but nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

D1 would indicate between Dorset St. and Summerhill.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement