Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilross junction

Options
  • 31-07-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

This has bothered me for years and nobody has ever been able to give me an answer.

Why on earth is traffic on the N13 at the kilross junction forced to come to a complete stop when travelling from Letterkenny to Stranorlar? Traffic on the major road must bizarrely give way to traffic on the minor road. I've never encountered such a scenario anywhere else on my travels.

Is there any plan to realign the junction to rectify this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There’s a junction in St. Johnston I think Blueball is the townland? Traffic travelling from Lifford to St. Johnston now has the right of way but 15 years ago it was the less busy road from Raphoe that had the right of way. There was a huge amount of accidents at that junction before they completely rebuilt the road moving the junction slightly further away from the village and giving priority to traffic on the busier road. The junction at Kilross is well marked and I don’t hear of any accidents at that junction. I guess years ago the main road was the Convoy to Stranorlar road and they never changed the junction when the Drumkeen road was upgraded. The traffic coming from Convoy is travelling straight on at that junction so it sort of makes sense to leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Making traffic on a National route give way to traffic on a Regional route joining that National route makes zero sense though, regardless of the straight line or not.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ha, glad I'm not the only one to wonder this.

I wonder if the DCC are more focused on bypassing Twin Towns? I don't even know where that is at this stage or will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it makes sense in a road priority way, but I'm sure you've seen yourself that if a junction has a straight part like that then people will usually just drive on. Just look at that roundabout at St Eunan's. Don't know how many times I've been coming up from the Cathedral car park and had to hit the brakes there even though I had right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Kilross is a strange junction on a main road. Was a plan to make the road from Scoil Colmcille to St Eunans College mentioned, which is sensible, but seems to be forgotten. It will be back to congestion in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The problem with the roundabout outside St Eunans is that when coming up the hill its impossible to see any oncoming traffic from the Cathedral road until you're already on the roundabout, its a mess of a junction.

As for Kilross, the Twin Towns bypass thats been in planning for the past few decades (or is it centuries?) plans to turn the T junction into a roundabout

https://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/media/download_gallery/Downloads%20March%203rd%202021/Section%201%20Work%20in%20Progress%20Draft%20Phase%203%20Plan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭md23040

I talked to a council engineer about this due to the sheer stupidity of the design and something could be done as a remedial relief fix like a slip lane for cars turning left to Letterkenny so those at the junction know it’s safe to pull out or some means to slow traffic approaching.

Informed now that the bypass has been provisionally accepted, no matter if deferred to the twelfth of never, not one cent will be spent. But at the same time, on a different internal budget 1000’s for tarmacing the same road thats not too bad at the outset.

Typical foolish mindsets with traffic misery to worsen as Covid subsides.

Advertisement