Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

That makes no sense. If a male world class athlete who is winning things transitions (and there’s no reason why that can’t happen), it’s fine that they would also clean up in female competition? What? That makes the kind of sense that doesn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Where did I say thats fine? Its clearly not if you are a female althlete. I think you entirely missed the point of my post.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

But if you go down that road there will end up being quotas. Positive discrimination and you are back where you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’m sorry, I have educated myself on the matter I see the most correct use of phrase would be they / them. To me that’s just bad use of pronouns, and could lead to all manner of identity crises within an individual also what if I think there’s a party I show up and there’s just one person there 🥳 🙋

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The International Olympic Committee has admitted that its current guidelines for transgender athletes are not fit for purpose – and says it plans to release a new one within the next two months.

Two months!

• Advertisement

Surprisingly quick. Something as big as the Olympic organisation will never move quickly.

Any change will be poured over externally for rage opportunity. Plus, it has to get agreement internally which requires organisation.

Something as big as the Olympics is a huge target and some people (this term is okay for now I think) have plenty time on their hands to see if they can see an opportunity for attention.

^^^

Hopefully one outworking of this will be that the silver medalist from Tokyo will be retrospectively awarded gold also, third silver and 4th bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭archfi

The IOC’s medical and science director, Dr Richard Budgett:

"But he added: “The other important thing to remember is that trans women are women. You have got to include all women if you possibly can.”

That should be The IOC's ideology director, Richard Budgett.

Time to ramp the pressure up - the ideological theorists are everywhere.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

He's right, though.

Also he's not an "ideological theorist" he's been a chief medical officer for the Olympics for 15 years and has an MA in medicine. He's literally an expert.

By a certain definition. Not by mine, if free thought is still allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

You're allowed to think whatever you'd like but I doubt you have stronger credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭archfi

With declaring that illogical mantra, he's an ideologist first not a scientist.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Stronger credentials than who? I've lived with and interacted with women for decades. I know what a woman is. I don't know what you think a women is, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So do you believe it is unfair that male athletes are excluded from competing in female events then?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I see what you did there. But going by Hubbards past completions Hubbard will not be getting any medal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

“There is some research, but it depends on whether you are coming from the view of inclusion as the first priority or absolute fairness to the nth degree being the priority,” he said. “If you don’t want to take any risks at all that anyone might have an advantage, then you just stop everybody. If you are prepared to extrapolate from the evidence there is, and consider the fact the have been no openly transgender women at the top level until now, I think the threat to women’s sport has probably been overstated.”

Budgett also indicated that he accepted it was fair for World Rugby to ban trans women at elite level because of the safety dangers, while national federations allowed transgender players to compete at club level. “It may be the right thing to do in many sports, because it is at the most elite level in their case that they are concerned about safety. As you come down from that level you can start to prioritise inclusion more than safety. You can understand it. I think there is a legal element to this as well, they have really prioritised safety.”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Having read my post you quoted, what do you think I believe? More importantly, what do you believe yourself?

I think the reasons for their exclusion that have been offered so far are unjustified and unreasonable, and on that basis have no legitimacy, in the same way as the reasons offered so far for the exclusion of females from participating in males sports are unjustified and unreasonable and on the same basis have no legitimacy. The arguments that their exclusion is justifiable in order to maintain competitive fairness in sports or to protect participants or to maintain safety in sports, just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny IMO.

Individual athletes are free to make up their own minds as to whether they wish to compete in an event or not, but what nobody is free to do is demand that anyone be excluded because they are a threat to that person’s chances of competing. I’m not alone in finding that attitude towards other people condescending -

From what we know of Hubbard for example, their reasoning for competing in weightlifting in the first place is that they imagined it would help them become more masculine. I can understand their reasoning, and at the same time it doesn’t take a genius to point out the obvious flaws in their reasoning, which no doubt they will now see themselves in hindsight - there’s clearly more to it than that, it’s just not as simple as they had initially thought it was.

I don’t think it’s as simple as some people here are making out it is either that having gone through puberty confers upon anyone significant advantages which they retain throughout their lifetime, particularly when one has to consider the fact that for people who are transgender it does not justify being forced to undergo what are considered to be unnecessary medical interventions in order to be recognised in law as their preferred gender, or to participate in sports in accordance with their gender. I’d see that sort of behaviour as archaic, and completely unjustified, unfair, unreasonable and unnecessarily trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

It's actually very simple. You'd be better off admitting it and focusing on other arguments.

''You can start to prioritise inclusion over safety''...says it all really. Inclusion in this sense really means affirmation. Affirmation that the feeling that one is a woman actually makes one, for all intents and purposes, a woman.

And Budgett is already on the wrong side of transactivism as he thinks some differentiation can be made in some cases - which effectively makes him a transphobe. No differentiation is permitted. It is clear that as he believes some differentiation can be made that he does not actually believe that a trans woman is a woman. Otherwise how could there be any differentiation any time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I haven't read the thread and haven't been keeping up with the olympics and I'm just wondering how did he do in the competition? Did he have a edge over the other women?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not sure who that’s directed at Ads but I for one anyway don’t support the idea that anyone is better off to profess something they don’t believe is true, so suggesting that anyone “admit” something they don’t believe is true is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to suggest that you’re still right and they’re still wrong. I don’t think you’ll find too many people agreeing with the IOC’s medical and science director who has 15 years experience at that level, that it is as simple as suggesting “transgender women are women”.

That may well be as simple as it is from his perspective, but I don’t think it’s so simple from anyone else’s perspective who isn’t the medical and science director of the IOC, though in respect of the IOC guidelines, his opinion obviously carries more weight in their formation than the opinions of the athletes who are competing in the Olympics. He’s the expert in those circumstances, not the athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're on about Hubbard, the event is Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Ouch, did you just appeal to authority? Always a weak strategy. All the medical doctors who disagree with him must also be right, then? Because they are also medical doctors? So… which medical doctor is right - the one who believes that transgender women are transgender women or the one who believes that transgender women literally are women? Whose qualifications are the ones we take seriously here?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

Maybe its been asked before, but have any females who have transitioned to males taken part in any high level male sports (obviously ones where physical prowess are involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

I'm presuming that's because of the benefits of the male being stronger!

Surely this logic should be applied to people born male competing in woman's event.

It seems only fair that their should be a trans gender games, I don't see why biological females should be penalised by allowing trans people to compete against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

There are a very few sports where women's greater endurance may put them at a slight advantage (ultra marathon for example) so it's possible that trans men could realistically compete there.

But the fact is that the most popular sports to watch are usually those which require more "explosive" energy, of the type that men tend be better at.

Looked this up. What slight advantage? All the records held for men are likewise better than women, similar to regular marathons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not that likely that women actually are better at ultra marathons, the sport is too niche to have sufficient sample sizes to make the claim at the moment.

Advertisement