Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

el_gaucho wrote: »
    used charcoal to heat the oven/QUOTE]

Lumpwood or something else?
    I've use my kuru 3 times now with lumpwood and some random wood kindling and it been perfect.

Lumpwood. It might be that I just added too much and blocked the airflow. Or maybe I didn’t add the wood quickly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Not a hope.
    my recent order took 10 days from shipping.

Its showing up as in Ireland this evening. I might get it tomorrow after all.

8hDpuZx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Advice please! I know someone on here mentioned par-baking the pizza bases in advance. I'm making 10-12 pizzas for a crew on Sunday. What would be the best way to go about par-baking? Thinking of doing this for the kids pizzas to take some of the pressure off!!

So my Koda 16 did arrive this morning. Shipped on Monday and arrived on Friday. Very pleased with that.

But why is it that GLS must always do something wrong. Special shoutout to the driver who just left the box at the gate on the road and drove off without even ringing the bell.

Thankfully I was working from home today otherwise it would 100% have been stolen.

Right - better start making a dough for pizza on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Tzardine wrote: »
    So my Koda 16 did arrive this morning. Shipped on Monday and arrived on Friday. Very pleased with that.

But why is it that GLS must always do something wrong. Special shoutout to the driver who just left the box at the gate on the road and drove off without even ringing the bell.

Thankfully I was working from home today otherwise it would 100% have been stolen.

DPD get a fair bit of abuse, but they are absolutely stellar in comparison to GLS. GLS are hands down the worst shipping operation I’ve ever encountered. Over the years I have had several high value goods put into their hands and every single time without fail there has been issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Can I ask how many days from getting your tracking number did it take? I’m eager and got my tracking number on the 30th

ArtyC wrote: »
    Can I ask how many days from getting your tracking number did it take? I’m eager and got my tracking number on the 30th

Got my tracking number on Monday morning at 0930.

Got my tracking number on Monday morning at 0930.

Great !! Fingers crossed mines as quick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

maximo31 wrote: »
    Advice please! I know someone on here mentioned par-baking the pizza bases in advance. I'm making 10-12 pizzas for a crew on Sunday. What would be the best way to go about par-baking? Thinking of doing this for the kids pizzas to take some of the pressure off!!

I’m guessing I wouldn’t have the oven on 400c, maybe 200c. Roll out to desired size, prick all over with a fork to stop them bubbling. Put in oven until dough is cooked through. Allow them to cool completely and maybe put a sheet of baking paper between each one before wrapping in cling film to prevent sweating.

For 12 pizzas, I’d think about par baking all of them beforehand.

Good luck!

I’m guessing I wouldn’t have the oven on 400c, maybe 200c. Roll out to desired size, prick all over with a fork to stop them bubbling. Put in oven until dough is cooked through. Allow them to cool completely and maybe put a sheet of baking paper between each one before wrapping in cling film to prevent sweating.

For 12 pizzas, I’d think about par baking all of them beforehand.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated.Pressure is on. Hope they taste as good after being par baked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated.Pressure is on. Hope they taste as good after being par baked!

Update on how you get on as will be doing something similar in a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

Almost a perfect 8 pizzas Friday night but botched the final one while turning and ripped the middle. We live and learn, pizza is pizza. Highlight was the Pesto/Carm. Onion/Goats Cheese number because I ran out of tomato base.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nicely done! My biggest issue recently is getting my pizzzas to be circular!

also nduja is a fantastic pizza topping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A bit late but I've done this before. It's actually a nice change as you can put more toppings on if desired.

Stone at about 350.
    Shape base as normal.
    Apply (I brushed it on) a very thin layer of sauce.
    Par bake for about a minute with flame on low, I let them get a little bit of leoparding.
    Let cool and wrap in cling film, into the fridge.

You'll need to put more sauce on when cooking again.

Really takes the stress out of making lots of pizzas and there's the added bonus of getting people involved and letting them make their own and even launch them... It takes any mistakes out of the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Someone dropped my pizza stone and cracked it, was out of action for a couple of weeks but the replacement arrived on Tuesday. Longest couple weeks ever 🤣

Got on very well following the instructions I got above. Made 10-12 pizzas on Saturday and used them all up on the Sunday.

Pizzas went down very well. Probably not as perfect as doing fresh but there was no complaints. Will defo be doing this way again if i have a crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭hargo

00 flour

I bought a 25 kg bag of blue Caputo 00 flour in Musgraves today. I normally buy a 10 kg bag 0f 00 but specifically wanted to try the Caputo. If anyone's interested in splitting the bag let me know. I'm in Drogheda and i gather some have difficulty getting this flour. The full bag was €22 so split it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Great topic! Just ordered the Ooni 12 and am reading all your experiences, pizzas look amazing, bought as a gift for pizza mad son who has been making his own in our oven. This weather the heat from our oven (on for 2 hours...oyyyy) is just too much, he was impressed by it but concerned about the peel I bought (I bought the very expensive Ooni one, I know, I know...). See how long it takes to arrive now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

A new Ooni Karu 12 owner here.

It may be buried in the 79 pages, but can anyone point to (Youtube?) a dough making tutorial for simpletons?

• Advertisement

Here’s Jamie Oliver’s pizza dough recipe. It’s simple and basic. You can get into the scientific dough making soon enough.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/pizza-dough/

Vito Lacopelli on you tube is your one stop shop. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Ordered our Koda 16 in mid may and we finally got a shipping notification yesterday. Still no delivery ETA but very excited that it has shipped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The Ooni app has a simple dough recipe that I use. Pretty sure they have a YouTube video about it.

Thanks guys.

Quick question as I've left it too late to make dough for this evening.

My local store(s) only has sourdough doughballs for purchase. Can sourdough be used for a pizza base, and would it taste (vastly) different to "normal" pizza?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its not too late. You could make pizza dough with bread flour at 4pm and it would be ready to roll and cook at 5.30 in this heat.

Thanks for that.

Anything I've seen/read says it takes hours to do!

So use the same other ingredients as in all the videos (water, yeast, salt), and instead of the 00 flour, just use normal plain flour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No use bread flour or strong flour. Plain flour wont work. But the rest yeah. Flour and salt in a bowl, yeast and warm water in a jug, mix it all up, knead till smooth, cover with a damp towel, let rise for 90 mins/2 hours and then get to work. Would probably advise to make the individual doughballs and rest for 20 mins after proofing if possible before making the pizzas.

Once the dough has doubled in size you can mke the pizzas. And in this heat I bet itll be quick!

keep chase on them . We ordered ours April and they fucked up the delivery. Still no oven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

I've been using the aldi/lidl buffalo mozzarella on my ooni pizzas, getting lots of liquid on top, I've had them in the strainer to try and lose some of the water. If I use different buffalo mozzarella will this help, or any other advice thst helps??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Try freezing them for a while and then grating the ball and see how you get on

I've been making my own mozzarella lately. takes a bit of practice but way better in taste and dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I slice it, wrap it in kitchen paper and put it between two plates to weigh down. The amount of water that comes out of it is unreal. Makes a big difference to the pizza if you press them I find.

Hey folks, looking for a bit of advice for anyone with a Koda 12 or any of the oonis. My problem is when i'm doing a few pizzas for the family the first pizza i cook is as fluffy and tasty as anything but the daughter is usually kicking off so she get it just to get her to sit down and eat. Pizza for the wife next which looks great then i do my own which looks like a flat bread compared to the other ones, still tasty but not as light!

So guess issue im having is im losing the oven temp as im cooking. What i usually do is first pizza launched then turn dial down to half, cook take out then put flame back to full while im prepping next pizza.

So what kinda time are people taking between each pizza to get back up to temp? I didnt check the temp between each pizza so cant be sure what it was.

But in other news the new pizza table set up works great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

Thanks, I'll give this a go and see how I get on.

Have you tried leaving it on full throughout? To stop it burning, I turn three times. First at 30 secs, second and third turn at 20 seconds.

See if that helps.

Ill give that a shot ext time, think i was turning down the flame as i was burning the pizzas but ill try it and keep a closer eye on it. Thanks.

It’s very easy to get distracted when you’re making a batch of pizzas. I bought a Second timer on Amazon and swear by it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KGGRR6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QA742V0SNRETYF9QJ8AH

You might have to look outside the U.K. for it now….

Our oven finally arrived. 2.5 months after ordering it. We went for the Koda 16 and I am so excited to try it. Unfortunately we won't get a chance this weekend but next weekend we will give it the first outing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just eat the first one yourself. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hi all, I’m a few days away from delivery of a new Ooni 12” gas unit.

Can anyone advise what I need to get in terms of gas, is it your standard little yellow calor bottle or something more tricky?

It’s butane you need. My one’s a grey bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Saw this, and as far as I can make out, it is free delivery to Ireland, I didn't use chrome with it's built in google translate. If it is free delivery to Eire, then it seems a great price. I just went through the motions of ordering, but didn't actually order. (completely made up address and phone no. 😉. Tower Street Rush was a house I was looking at).

https://cozze-pizza.com/

You would need a Gas Pressure regulator with it - Something like this

Anyway, It seems to be €147 delivered (€147 and free delivery). The only youtube review seems to be in German.

You may want to use Google Chrome or Google Translate to order - https://www.bilka.dk/produkter/cozze-pizzaovn-til-gas/100564986/

Link to Facebook - facebook.com/CozzePizzaOvens/

^ Nice find. Can’t find a translate button on the mobile site but they look like they’ve thought the whole thing through. Their accessories are a fraction of Ooni’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Couldn't use the phone either, I had used translate.google.com but the website didn't function properly, and couldn't expand text blocks either.

I have just used chromium now with translate on, and it seems to go through for that price.. 🤷 expected delivery date is 4th August.

Well our first attempt was mostly a success. We used semolina for our first pizza and that caught fire and burned really quickly. Switched to flour for the 2nd and 3rd and they were great. So impressed with it, pizza will be a weekly dinner from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tips for the best easily acquired pepperoni please folks?

Aldi and Lidl have good pepperoni.

I like the Aldi Antipasti mixed meats with some diced up Lidl Pork Frikadellen for a great Meat Feast Pizza. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

That looks delicious! We had our first outing yesterday on the Ooni 12, it was so good that we ate it before we could take pics, wasn't as good looking as yours (thanks for the tip about the semolina, we were going to try that). Our second one was a bit smaller but equally delicious, son already makes really good dough but we have to find the knack of getting it into the oven, saying that though, we were really impressed with the speed that it cooked and how tasty it was.

Advertisement