Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Weird phrasing, a lot of people putting out articles now quoting sky sports saying The bid is ‘expected to be accepted’ by Villa.

I mean I am now expecting it but that’s not news until it’s not just an expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah the internet. It's both a pile of balls and a joy in ever shifting size measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I find it hard to believe they accepted offer so fast , unless theres something we dont onow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

It’s not like it’s come out of the blue though. They’ve had plenty of time to figure out their strategy.

I’d be sad to see him go. He’s a rare talent and a joy to watch but players move on all the time. Even clubs like Man U and Liverpool can’t always hold on to their best talent. Money talks and promises of trophies turn heads too.

We’ve got some great talent at the club now. If he goes we need to focus on nurturing them and keep moving forward. UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

3 good years? There is zero chance you would be of that opinion if he was staying with us

• Advertisement

Bailey deal agreed. Outside of this thread 18 months ago, people would have told us he was better than Grealish. We would have laughed at them, to be fair, but I'm still delighted to get him.

Very happy to get him in. Wish he was coming in to play alongside Jack but still him and Beundia are great additions and hopefully if Grealish goes there will be more

I would go after Saint Maximin to replace Grealish personally.

Given all the recent links I would guess Dwight McNeil, Julian Alvarez, Todd Cantwell and a few others will probably be brought up again as possible Grealish replacements but the clubs first port of call could be to a non AM role now that Bailey seems to be in the bag alongside Beundia. Villa pushing Southampton hard for Ward Prowse for example would make a lot of sense especially as it would also allow McGinn to push forward into the role he plays for Scotland and first played for Villa in the Prem when everyone was raving about him. Saint Maximin would be good but I would imagine Newcastle would over price him especially if we have Grealish bucks to spend. TBH I would say the same about McNeil & Cantwell too although perhaps him a bit less as I believe he only has a year left on his contract (Still not fully sold on him myself).

I wonder how good Morgan Rodgers actually is, and if Villa really want the guy. Think I would prefer a straight 100m instead of 90 and him but thats cos I know pretty much nothing about him. The extra 10m could be more than half of what would be needed to sign a player like Cantwell, Alvarez or Edouard from Celtic for example

• Advertisement

I think some of the names mentioned there aren't really appropriate for a Grealish replacement. If we're getting that wedge of cash, I'd like to see a reasonable sum of it spent on someone who I've very little doubt about their quality on the left hand side.

Saint Maximin and Zaha are 2 very obvious names there. Zaha in particular only has 2 years left on his contract so Palace may be pressured in this regard. There would be other clubs in for this calibre of player too, but what do we want to do here, spend 20 million on 5 different players when we already have a settled enough team of Emi, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Buendia, Bailey, Watkins, one of McGinn/Luiz. You go sign a top wide left player, and Ward Prowse or someone of similar quality and you might be in a better situation overall than last season.

According to the Daily Mail, Newcastle United would demand a huge 70m asking price for winger Allan Saint-Maximin. It's claimed that Newcastle are likely to price Saint-Maximin out of a move away from St James' Park by slapping a huge asking price on his head.

I'm sure that price could be negotiated down but I honestly don't see Villa spending more than 50m on a player this summer. Would love to be proven wrong but still. Zaha could be a cheaper option alright given his contract situation and how he has stated he wants out of there but he is so vital to everything they do that he still would not be cheap and I'm not sure if the club would pay that much for a player who turns 29 in November iirc.

The names I mentioned I don't really see as "A Grealish replacement" to be honest, but they were linked and no doubt will be linked again as I would expect Tammy Abraham to be. I do think however that Bailey & Beundia might be considered as the Grealish replacements while the Grealish money goes elsewhere starting with Ward Prowse. Ideally they would have another Bailey type signing lined up though as a week or two ago, none of us were expecting that deal, Yacine Adli or someone similar (who of course I've not seen much of but I'm using him as an example of someone the scouts might know and who the club could get on board). Maybe look at Neves from Wolves if nobody else (Man Utd linked) is going to pull the trigger on him, still only 24.

2 years in prem and last season in champ he has been top class, mayby half season before?

Nothing t0 do with him leaving

This is serious rewriting of history. Grealish has been our best player pretty soon after Bruce joined.

No playoff final under Bruce without Grealish. No promotion under Smith without Grealish. We don’t stay up the season after without Grealish. We don’t have half the great days we had last season without Grealish.

People can turn on them if they want but for me he is the best player to wear a Villa jersey.

Im not turn on him at all

Thats your opinion that hes been top class for 4 and half seasons , hardly a huge difference in opinion to 3 and a half

Right now. Martinez is frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

He is top notch but for me, McGrath still tops him.

Hes certainly a contender. Grealish is about to break the British transfer record though, for me he is the winner.

Just thinking back through some of his huge moments, Birmingham away, Derby at home to start the impossible run, Rotherham away, West Ham away, Liverpool at Wembley. Liverpool at Villa Park, Arsenal at the Emirates. I feel like that’s more big moments than I can remember in the decade that preceded Jack.

For such a young lad, it would still be the end of an era if he is on his way. We can hopefully use the money to make us stronger across the team, but there won’t be another Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Logically, from a city POV, there's no reason to sign Grealish, and every reason to sign Kane.

I wonder is all this a smokescreen to lower the price for Kane.

I'm hoping the disappointment of sitting on the England bench will be fresh in Jacks memory and he'll recognise that he won't play every game for City.

If my neck is on the block, I think he stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I haven't been able to wrap my head around the idea that everyone seems resigned to Jack leaving, with zero indication from the player, the club or the suitors. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen a formal bid placed yet. And Sky Sports are banging this Grealish leaving drum for two years now, nothing has come of it.

Villa don't need to sell, and the player has given zero indication that he wants to leave. Four years left on his contract, and the club is showing some massive ambition, without actual bags of money on the table I feel this is big talk. I'd agree with Esse85, I think he's staying.

Weirdly enough, betting is currently suspended on Sky Bet on him staying. You can still bet on him joining City and a multitude of other teams.

Not sure that definitely means anything, but it is odd nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Spent many years defending JG to Irish people over his international switch...now I get to join in giving him dogs abuse :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

With Aguero gone City need a striker much more than another attacking midfielder. Kane makes much more sense than Grealish.

They already have Kdb, Mahrez, Foden, Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan etc.

Really hoping nothing comes of this and it’s all nonsense or part of a Kane ploy.

Eden is in VP now. My gut says he stays. What would be the point of flying in if Grealish said he wants out. Just needs to send an OK on an email of that was the case.

Where have you seen that Eden is in VP? Reliable?

Two owners at villa park today.

Tomorrow is crunch day , if he is not training then hes gone , if he reports back there must be hope

If he's not training he could be in the negotiations either. I know the agent will do everything bar sign the paperwork but they'll need him in for a pitch of what's happening and why they want him to stay.

Where did you see this? Keep trying to find it but can't find anything reliable

• Advertisement

Hes trained this evening in villa gear , is there hope !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would anyone be shocked if he left? I mean he is going to leave eventually. Even with the positive noises from the club and the owners he is probably one of the best players in the world and realistically we are not going to be challenging for the Premier League or Champions League in the near future. He has the option to walk into any club in the world. Villa's high card is they can demand a high fee.

Ambition is important. Aiming high should always be the goal of a club.

Challenging for Europa or champions League spot should be our remit.

2019 was relegation. 2020 we leapt into and almost past midtable.

Why should we not be pushing for top 6? There was probably 3 or 4 places missed due to our injury crisis last season.

Jack out for so long and Covid completely derailed our season without a doubt. We were on the cusp of a special season for a long time and the football we played before both was super to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Interestingly Jack shows up for training.

Meanwhile at Spurs

There is a theory the Grealish bid by City is a gambit to get Kane more eager to move as City unlikely to spend 100m on each

I think him leaving is more than 50%. People are naturally gonna cling to whatever percentage we do have until it’s confirmed either way. And it would be fair to say it looks a bit brighter than it did say on Friday evening.

• Advertisement

Looking at the pics from training today and last night i am more confident he now stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Grealish training at all today, even if it's no contact training, has to be a positive sign for Villa. If you were about to sell your car for 100 million quid, you wouldn't use it to nip down the shops, especially if it has a dodgy shin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Looks like Davis will be out injured for 2 months, pity as it looked like he was heading to the championship on loan.

And according to twitter he now stays with new contract , after seen videos from training ground today it looked that way , was all smiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maybe the signing of Bailey has shown enough ambition for Grealish to stay put?

Looking at your team now, it's very close to a situation where you only need to improve squad depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

HITC are reporting we are putting in a 28 million bid for Sarr.

Is it not a bit weird to see so many players linked who have just been promoted. We already got Buendia, then there's Sarr, Cantwell, Hughes and Henry. I dont remember too many lads making the move over the years who've just been promoted. You'd usually see reports of lads not going anywhere because they've been promoted.

Tammy and axel rumours back again today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

That Leon Bailey "press conference" was utterly bonkers- hard to actually fathom that they had the blessing of the club to do that.

Reports saying today is the day grealish will sign for City. Obviously hope it ain’t true but better the club know earlier than later either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

If he does want to go, then it's best to get the best deal that we can and move on. The worst case scenario now is keeping a player who no longer wants to be at Villa as it would have to affect our performance levels and dressing room harmony this season. I'm at the stage now where I just want to see a resolution and I'd say the players and staff all feel this much more acutely than fans.

Today is a disappointing day, but there is enough in the squad now to suggest that if we spend this 100 million well we can keep pushing forward. Spending that 100 million right after teams know we have it, might be difficult, but it is still absolutely necessary to fill that gigantic Jack shaped hole. Buendia and Bailey are great signings but they don't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sad day if it happens, with some places fairly definite it will.

Going to a club that is completely stacked but still, he could become anything under Guardiola.

You would really question how anyone can compete.

This is a joke , season starts saturday week.

Surprised no leaks from team mates as hes trained all week.

Dissapointed , club need to make detailed statement.

It's a money transfer. Money money. If Kane happens it makes a mockery of any rules because there is none.

• Advertisement
Advertisement