Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - Best Movie Poster

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Okay, a tough one to start with. Jaws is by far the better movie, but I was determined to vote based on the poster not the movie. Jaws does have a great poster for sure, but the contrast of the black and white in Scarface makes me go for that one as my vote.

PS: @Omackeral it may be worth dropping a quick PM to anyone who entered a nomination to tell them this is happening now. They may not be checking Boards as often since the change and not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

@quickbeam You're probably right. So What I'll so is fire off a few PM's and kick this thing off properly tonight, give people a chance. I'll count your vote and Dave's and we'll give Jaws vs Scarface a bit of overtime. @Necro any chance of updating the Ultimate Tournament Sticky in After Hours please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Both good but have to go for Jaws here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jaws ; a much more iconic movie poster regardless of whether you've seen the film or not, even little kids know what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

2 classics here, love both but I think Jaws has a slight edge here so I'll vote for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sorry Mack we went out to lunch - would have voted Jaws - it just speaks of the menace to come.

In case you haven't seen it, there's a thread of who made it through re-entry. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200488/so-who-made-it-back-here-after-the-site-change/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Jaws for me too

Just brilliant, such a simple image but it gives such an idea of the film. Iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Scarface for me, iconic black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Hello all. Thanks for the heads up Omack. I'm going for Jaws on this one please. Purely on the poster tho scarface give it a really good run for its money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Advertisement

Ok looks like we have our first match winner in the shape of Spielberg's Jaws. Next match kicks off at 8PM!

Round 1

The Iron Giant (1999)

VS

Joker (2019)

I've not seen The Joker, and I love The Iron Giant, but just aesthetically I prefer the poster for The Joker here.

Joker (2019) - but i don't think either of these are that great to be honest

Iron Giant - "Does what it says on the tin"

Joker advances

Round 1

The Exorcist (1973)

VS

Metropolis (1927)

Damn. I'd have gone for Iron giant

Both good here, bit I nominated The Exorcist and will stick with it please

Me too 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Metropolis ; I've not seen it, never actually checked to see what its about, but I've always loved the poster, so must actually go about watching the film itself one of these days

• Advertisement

Metropolis please. Exorcist is iconic I admit but the artwork of the metropolis poster is stunning.

Metropolis (1927)

For a poster from the 1920s it is very impressive, i have always been a fan of this poster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The Exorcist (1973)

The light shining down from the window and creating the silhouette, means you just know that there is going to be something eerie about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Metropolis. The art is so iconic and so unique

Both great films but Metropolis - says more about the film to come than the other

Metropolis knocks out a fairly big gun here!

Metropolis here. That still from The Exorcist is brilliant and if it took up more of the poster I might have gone for it but the purpley bits take away from it.

Round 1

Miami Connection (1987)

VS

Apocalypse Now (1979)

...to overrule this madness!

• Advertisement

Apocalypse Now - pretty much hated the film but it’s a great poster.

Advertisement