Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not at all sure why your bringing the homophopic and SF argument into this discussion, I've certainly not seen any anti gay commentary with regard to Katherine Zappone, if it's your contention that everyone that disagrees with these shenanigans is somehow left wing or supportive of SF, your sadly mistaken.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Widely used tactic at this stage,

Question Maria Bailey's antics = "misogynistic"

Leo leaking confidential information = "homophobic and/or racism"

Zappone is the full house though, everything from "homophobic, misogynistic and anti foreigners" can be thrown out here.

Yeah people don't really have an issue with the cronyism and cosy club. It's the fact she's a woman who's gay and not from Ireland, that's the real issue.

Pearl clutching deflection.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That would be because I am not a member of SF or the IRA.

I voted for them.

Is your deflectionary point here that anyone who voted for FG should be answerable for the appointment of Katherine Zappone? Should be answerable for anything FG does?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

It's interesting that we have a poster appear on thread trying desperately to make it a SF via the government thing and the Indo is at it this morning too.

If anything SF are late to the party on this one imo. But usual deflection muck from FG primarily. Concerted/organised deflection....hmmm one would wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

Peak Fine Gael.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If it wasn't for that dastardly meddling Sinn Fein and their ink cartridges, we would have almost certainly got away it! 😅

Such fun. It's usually the endgame when ink cartridges crop up in convo - the litmus test when FG have sh*t the bed on something and they know it, but haven't got around to backpeddling yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Listen to the and Coveney says she didn't approach him and then goes on to explain she approached him, so Leo wasn't lying.

Peak Power Swap. This shite has been going on since the foundation of the state.

• Advertisement

don't know why who leaked it from cabinet is that interesting as they were going to announce it an hour later anyway, the first tweet from Danial McConnell said it was proposed by Leo Varadkar which was wrong and McConnell deleted that tweet, question is who leaked that Michael Martin didn't know about it till they were in cabinet, thats what elevated the story...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Quote from KevRossi

''...She seems to be a resident of the USA at the moment, or at least she's spending so much time in the US that she will be taxed there, not here. She also has her house on the market meaning that she may quit here entirely (also possibly downsizing or selling as the memories with her former wife may be too difficult). Either way I think she's just going to use the role as a form of stepping stone in her career in the UN.

Someone above mentioned citizenship. Both the USA and Ireland allow dual citizenship....''

re the above quote,

There are restrictions for US citizens who work for a foreign government. She therefore has obligations to a foreign government whilest working for the Irish government. That is a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What an awful post and a poor attempt at deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Created an argument? Utter horsecrap that post is.

There is one group on these forums that is constantly name calling and accusing all people of being something else when they disagree with them.

The same group also repeatedly claim that there are many angry men in here. And try to use really pathetic deflection tactics.

The truth is, a position was gifted with a bow, and people want to know why. Not how much money that position brings including expenses and bonuses, but why somebody on the other side of the atlantic is able to create a position out of thin air, approach our government and be appointed that position without anybody else being notified. How often are things like that done? Are there other positions filled like that, that the taxpayer should know about?

Is corruption rife in this government or is this a once off (scoff)..

They are valid questions and there are plenty more. If you want to find somebody to blame for 'starting an argument' then look directly at the same people who created and gifted a job with other peoples money and their own arrogance. Even their own party members are reeling about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It doesn't matter who leaked it nothing can be done after what was done for Varadkar.

So many posters here displaying the anger of Coveney and Varadkar - they cannot accept the change. There is a new political game in town, you will be held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't have a particular objection to a cabinet minister being a dual citizen of another state*, DeValera was a card-carrying US citizen as well as an Irish one lest we forget. Became a very big deal in Australia over the last few years - lots of senior politicians had passports of foreign countries which was contrary to Australian law.

*The exception for me being if they were a dual citizen of an illiberal state such as Russia or China that would leave them exposed to influence operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Leo Varadkar has questioned a Cabinet minister believed to be behind a damaging Government leak. It comes after text message evidence was taken to the Tánaiste by a junior minister who set up an extraordinary ruse to identify the source of recent breaches of Cabinet confidentiality, the Sunday Independent can reveal. 

When presented with the junior minister’s evidence, the minister concerned is understood to have denied to the Fine Gael leader he was the source of the leak — which occurred during Cabinet last week — about the appointment of Katherine Zappone to the role of UN special envoy for freedom of expression.

Well, well, well the plot thickens even further. Now we have Leo Columbo sending a junior minister to set up a trap for another minister who has been directly accused of leaking information by a man who himself is under Garda investigation for leaking.

I must admit I didnt think Fine Gael were going to give us the same level of entertainment as they did last summer with Seamus Woulfe and Phil Hogans golf tour of Ireland during a lockdown. But this latest self inflicted wound is coming to the boil nicely now and all at a time when the Dail and the courts are shut and the media need things to talk about. Next week is going to be very interesting indeed.

• Advertisement

Great political drama....but a completly farcial way to run a country

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So who leaked about Leo investigating the leak? That's what we really need to know.

As we all know this country is ran via WhatsApp group 😅

I wish I was joking but it appears it has supplanted the cabinet table

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

We are also yet to find out who leaked the mother and babies report to the papers before the survivors received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres so many leaks going on my head is spinning. FG are eating themselves alive at this stage with Varadkar and Coveney directly contradicting one another in the media. One of them is lying about how this appointment unfolded and FF were kept totally out of the loop of the crony stroke.

This has to be related to the fall out from the DBS by election, Varadkar shafted Coveneys ally O'Connell and in the process FG lost an easy win in the by election by forwarding an inanimate carbon rod. Varadkar has made losing elections a habit now and some in the party want him gone.

Absolutely. I said it at the time, the DBS defeat was the beginning of the Varadkar long goodbye. He's showing his well-earned reputation for petulance here and if he's going after someone who was a staunch ally in Simon Harris, we're probably closer to endgame than we realize.

He's been distant and disinterested for months and has the look of a man than has checked out of his job.

Being honest,even when he was taoiseach,he used give off the impression,that doing the job was beneath him

And another thing, as Leo goes full Joseph Stalin looking for the internal treachery within FG, did he think it would escape his coalition partners, the media and indeed the public's attention that Zapp would be wandering around the halls of the UN and trotting around the world bearing the imprimatur of the State doing her best Mary Robinson impression?

Does he take us all for fools?

The Indo/Sindo FG mouthpiece along with their “not normal party” allies and I’m not talking about SF, trying to use this “minister leak” story as a deflectionary tactic to distract from the crony elitist political stroke that FG have pulled off. They promised that a repeat of FG ally Seamus Woulfe judiciary appointment would not recur. Well as the old saying goes, “don’t trust a politician”!! In this case don’t trust the media also.

FG have an increasing and worrying vice like grip over large portions of the media here. That’s what the debate should be focused on IMO along with the cynicism and stroke politics that FG continue with. Don’t be fooled by the “fake outrage” by the likes of Philip Ryan, blue Hugh, Fionnan Sheehan, Kev Doyle and Pat Kenny will express in the coming days.

#Zapponyism #FGout #FGbias

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Covney's argument that Zappone is a Lawyer and former politician (I don't think the said Minister) suggests that some how only Zappone is a Lawyer and former politician (perhaps Minister). Though I have yet to find out if she is actually a Lawyer or has a Law Degree.

Advertisement