Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I hope the people who are all for vaccine passports because they are oh so virtuous realise that it won't stop at that. Oh, you didn't get your 5th booster shot? Rejected! And whatever else they want you to do. That is what you are signing up for.

The vaccines do not stop transmission. There is no need for a passport system in that case. Seems like there is a massive lack of critical thinking these days

And I wouldn't be thinking the US is so great either. Personally I feel there is a real risk of violence against unvaccinated people due to a mob being stoked up by the media. I thought it was just an online thing but some things I've heard in public recently are truly scary. I mean, the cdc came out and said that vaccinated people are just as likely to spread covid, seems to have fallen on deaf ears and rah rah but unvaccinated are to blame. They should all die etc etc. CNN commentators saying on air that they shouldn't be allowed in supermarkets. So...starve them to death or what? It's only a matter of time before it kicks off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

"CNN commentators saying on air that they shouldn't be allowed in supermarkets."

'Temporarily' no doubt....................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Out for a few pints last night, a good few places letting anyone in. One place we went to was packed inside, was good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Rememeber when they told us that when all elderly and vulnerable were vaccinated we'd be pretty much out of this ... and then remember they shifted that to 70% of all adults ???

72.4% of all adults and yet here we are ....

Yes Don Lemon, a perpetual victimhood seeking woke moron.

He has stoked violence with the drug overdose death of George Floyd, and the whole BLM movement, and now this - a truly despicable character.

But he goes with the narrative so it's OK.

Post edited by TomSweeney on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

How are Israels restrictions ? IS it possible to travel there vaccinated or what ?

My guess is no, that barely anything has changed and restrictions are still rife.

This is what is ahead, vaccines mean nothing.

Sold a big **** lie.

Yes, maybe the least bad place would have been more accurate. The Republican Party represents opposition and the concept of freedom is so strong there.

The vaccine passport ultimately leads to a social credit system, in my opinion. I can't believe that there's such widespread support for them. It doesn't surprise me that there is in Ireland on account of the non-existent opposition and the non-functioning fourth estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

This thread is getting stranger by the day. Some here appear to expect there should be no transmissions from those vaccinated, yet believe following Florida, who yesterday had the highest number of transmission since this pandemic started and 408 Covid deaths for the past 7 days (population wise the equivalent of 100 deaths here), is what we should be doing. Rather bizarre to criticise vaccines on one hand for zero transmissions, while on the other favouring a strategy that has resulted in the highest transmissions since the start of this pandemic,

Probably no point repeating this as some are determined to ignore it, but there was never a 100% guarantee that vaccines would stop transmissions. Their primary aims were in the reduction of severe illness and death. Something they are doing very effectively.

Even when it comes to transmissions, from the number of new cases, it should be glaringly obvious to anyone who wishes to see it that from the numbers of those now being infected who are unvaccinated, compared to those vaccinated, that vaccines are greatly reducing infections.

That's what you choose to focus on in the post?

• Advertisement

But in lots of countries they have made hardly any difference in terms of restrictions. Malta was talking about herd immunity being achieved a month or so ago and still masks are required everywhere (a vaccinated person can go maskless outdoors as long as they show proof of vaccination to the people, which is pretty terrifying). Gibraltar is similar. The US, through a combination of vaccination and infection, has surely reached herd immunity, and yet masks are being brought back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Where did 'they' tell us that? First I've heard of it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They're taking the piss with restrictions and should be shut down.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

First I've heard of it as well but I'm guessing it was pre-Delta so obviously it's a different situation now

But on a more important note we are very close to being out of this, no more travel restrictions, all Ireland final will be at about half capacity, pubs, cafes and non- essential retail are all open, people can gather for parties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Where are you getting that the US has reached herd immunity ? Massachusetts has the highest level of vaccination and even there it is only 64% fully vaccinated. The overall average is 50%. No US state is anywhere close to herd immunity.

The idea that vaccines have made no difference in terms of restrictions is a nonsense. Restrictions have and are being eased worldwide in line with vaccines reducing hospital numbers, ICU numbers and deaths.

For someone who is such a fan of Florida, where a wannabe Trump has dropped all restrictions and they now have the highest daily infection since the start of this pandemic and 408 deaths in the last week, why you are attempting to highlight Malta which has had 8 deaths in the past 3 months and Gibraltar with 1 in the past 5 months I find as bizarre as believing we should be following the wannabe`s strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Was in town on Wed and places were asking if you were vaxed before entering but that was it. Been in a few places since and yet to be asked to show anything. I think pubs agreed to it just to be allowed open and are leaving it at that. I’m sure some are strict on it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why does everyone ignore immunity after infection? It's looking like that gives better protection than vaccines anyway. Herd immunity is clearly not achievable with vaccines alone given that they don't stop transmission.

You're not considering immunity from having got the virus. Huge numbers of Americans have had the virus. Dr Rand Paul has spoken a lot about natural immunity.

They have made very little difference in many countries. Gibraltar has vaccinated its entire population and masks are still required indoors and on public transport. Malta says it reached herd immunity a couple of months ago and there are still heavy restrictions there.

Iceland lifted all restrictions a month or so ago, and has reintroduced them because of case numbers. Same with Israel. The vaccines haven't made any difference in terms of the ending of restrictions for good in those countries.

I can't see how they have made any difference in Ireland. Bear in mind I'm referring specifically to restrictions being lifted. I don't say that they haven't made any difference in terms of health.

I don't know anything about Florida, but if it was a choice between living in Florida or Ireland I say that a lot of people would choose to live in Florida. Not everyone, but a lot of people. The problem is that it's very difficult to enter the US. Of course travel from Europe to the US is currently banned, so the issue isn't so much entry requirements because you can't enter the country.

Yes, had a lovely meal today, was seated at table and handed a menu and the word vaccination was muttered.

We spent two hundred euros between five people so no way was that business being turned away.

I knew this would happen, its a handy way of barring teenagers, mine has been turned away from outdoor dining.

If you are going to spend 30€ a head you will be welcomed in no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is covid able to tell that the parent wasn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It knew, but they quickly ordered €9 worth of food so it gave them a pass.

Indeed and with countries bringing back restrictions in late summer with nothing happening in hospitals, imagine what next winter will be like...

But a lot of people seem to think that life is getting back to normal. The only thing that's changed with the vaccine is that a person can eat indoors as long as they can produce a document proving they've been vaccinated and show ID. They still have to wear a mask everywhere, including when not seated indoors.

I wonder will those masks ever go. That ridiculous mask thread continues to be on the first page of the forum.

I think it's futile trying to talk about natural immunity. Once you mention the US you're met with anti-Trump stuff. I made the point the other day that cafés, restaurants and bars never closed in Sweden. I was reading posts about how the passport thing was the only way for people to eat indoors and I thought it strange that no one was talking about Sweden. When I pointed out that Sweden managed to keep bars and restaurants open without creating a two-tier society the response was to compare Sweden with Norway and Denmark. But I was referring to how Sweden managed to do it without the passports. I didn't say anything about their overall approach to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'd just like to point out out that Rand Paul is an eye doctor so he is as qualified as I am when it comes to epidemiology. And Florida is heading into the shítter with their, well, Floridaness. It will actually provide a good contrast to highly vaccinated states so it'll be one to watch if we want to see the the difference between high-vaccination states versus low-vaccination states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I hate the masks and the rest of it

Am in favour of the passports and restrictions for the unvaccinated

Need to speed this thing up and not be having a large percentage of unvaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I've been saying to my workmates we will be in lockdown in the winter again and they think I'm mad. How can people be so deluded.

Who studied immunology and who also assisted a hospital in Kentucky at the height of the pandemic.

We can see the difference between high-vaccination countries in Europe versus low-vaccination ones in terms of restrictions. There is none. Gibraltar vaccinated its population and is cancelling events because of case numbers: Gibraltar cancels large events due to rising COVID-19 cases - Olive Press News Spain (theolivepress.es). Masks are still required indoors and on public transport there too. So vaccinating the population wasn't enough to get rid of masks there.

Iceland is locking down again because of case numbers, even though almost the entire population has been vaccinated: Iceland's COVID-19 Confrontation May Last Years — Vax Before Travel

Malta declared it had reached herd immunity and masks are still required everywhere apart from outside if you can prove you've been vaccinated and are in the company of another vaccinated person.

Israel the same. Lifts restrictions and brings them back after a week or so.

So in terms of restrictions vaccination hasn't made nay difference.

But the restrictions apply to both the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. The only thing someone who is vaccinated can do is eat indoors as long as they can show a document proving they've been vaccinated and produce ID. Still have to wear masks everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Why is the current curfew not being challenged? 11:30 but really 11:00 and in some places ive been to even 10:30.

It puts a real dampener on the night knowing you're going to be frog marched off home so early. To circumvent this people are just going out earlier in the day. It wouldn't make any difference closing at 12:30 , which is still early. The problem is this backward government thinks we're a nation of savages under the influence of alcohol. . If we're not careful this curfew will stay in place for good just like it did with the off licences. . This cruel restriction needs to be challenged promto

Advertisement