Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Noxegon wrote: »
    Separately, if anyone fancies starting work at 3:00am for minimum wage, the restaurants in Dublin Airport have jobs for you!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-jobs-number-full-20932833

Unfortunately, for some people it’s a necessity, not a choice to have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I am sure they will get bodies initially. How long they stay though is another question.

Pre-covid zero hour contracts were all the rage within our ground operations and it worked kind of okay for a short period of time. At weekends, peak summer, concerts, sporting events etc there was a noticeable increase in absenteeism which lead to long delays for the passengers. Managers therefore starting riding the existing staff pretty hard with a resultant loss of enthusiasm. Thing is most of these "staff" are kids. They live at home as they can't afford to rent. Many of the parents told their kids to quit and find alternative work which isn't actually all that hard considering how badly they are treated with no guarantee of hours, flexibility, leave etc.

Certainly underwriters do not want to hear from anyone involved in aviation and this will likely be the case for the next couple of years. Whilst I appreciate most restaurant workers seeking employment at the airport are probably unlikely to be entering the mortgage market anytime soon I couldn't recommend to anyone at this point in time to get a job within aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How is a minimum wage person supposed to even get to the airport at 3am on public transport?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How is a minimum wage person supposed to even get to the airport at 3am on public transport?

Somebody say in Drumcondra when traffic and extra charges are accounted for is paying close to 40 euros return in a taxi... 40 euros out of every shift is tough.

200 euros a week, 800-900 a month on transportation... not doable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Strumms wrote: »
    Somebody say in Drumcondra when traffic and extra charges are accounted for is paying close to 40 euros return in a taxi... 40 euros out of every shift is tough.

200 euros a week, 800-900 a month on transportation... not doable.

Someone from Drumcondra is surely just going to get the 24 hour 41 bus service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah there's 24 hour bus services, and a lot of Airport staff living around Ballymun, Swords, Santry, it's within cycling distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭AnRothar

basill wrote: »
    I am sure they will get bodies initially. How long they stay though is another question.

Pre-covid zero hour contracts were all the rage within our ground operations and it worked kind of okay for a short period of time. At weekends, peak summer, concerts, sporting events etc there was a noticeable increase in absenteeism which lead to long delays for the passengers. Managers therefore starting riding the existing staff pretty hard with a resultant loss of enthusiasm. Thing is most of these "staff" are kids. They live at home as they can't afford to rent. Many of the parents told their kids to quit and find alternative work which isn't actually all that hard considering how badly they are treated with no guarantee of hours, flexibility, leave etc.

Certainly underwriters do not want to hear from anyone involved in aviation and this will likely be the case for the next couple of years. Whilst I appreciate most restaurant workers seeking employment at the airport are probably unlikely to be entering the mortgage market anytime soon I couldn't recommend to anyone at this point in time to get a job within aviation.

Even now there is still an Air of "mystery" associated with aviation.
    So there will be a greater interest in these roles than say the local shop.

Often overlooked by many people is that airports like most businesses have quite a lot of low skill/entry level roles.

Aviation and tourism business tend to have a need for extra staff during certain times of the year.
    They will get a load of dewey eyed kidults attracted by the perceived glamour.
    By the time they realise how awkward shift work can be they have had enough and try for something better.
    Those with options usually leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Management in those conditions wouldn't give a toss.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

bcikering posts deleted.
    Yes, jobs being advertised is not exactly on-topic for this thread.
    But a handful of posts about this subject isn’t going to derail the entire thread.

2 posters getting into a pedantic debate about the matter is more disruptive

How's the new runway coming along? When is it looking to be commissioned for use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

An absolutely absurd situation. Hopefully it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Well it does not make sense to restrict the new runway at night from 11pm to 7am more like from midnight and allow use again in the morning from 6am. Would it make sense to convert a national road to a motorway standard and not allow the additional lane be used at some peak times?

What's the point in building up traffic if the numbers of flights are then capped at less than existing traffic levels surely this will affect the hub facility at Dublin with USA flights landing early.

Surely planes are a lot less noisier now than 10 years ago with the planning conditions were applied to the new runway?

Very poor analogy there,pal.

Airports all over the world have noise restrictions .

People have to sleep and to suggest that airplanes be allowed to fly ‘carte blanche’ over residential areas as they please is ridiculous.

Not as if the traffic during the night demands it.

Load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I think the absurd thing is how it effects the current runway. Whatever about imposing restrictions on the new runway at night, by imposing restrictions on the current one far below its typical level of operations it places the airport in a strange situation where they'd be better off just not opening the brand new runway they've built as it'd limit them in their peak operating time to have two runways rather than just one.

Hopefully a sensible decision is reached to apply the limits only to the new runway and not to the already existing one who's flight path has been kept clear of built up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yeah that's what I can't understand. Increase capacity to reduce capacity.

The current runway is not clear of built up areas, tell that to the people of Portmarnock on the East, and Ballymun on the West.

There is no need for these runways to be operational through the night.

Its the same all over the world, dude.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

But presumably they knew they airport is where it is when they bought those houses.

As has been said, fair enough restricting usage hours on the new run way, but the current runway is already allowed to operate outside these hours, so why restrict it now.

It doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

What I was suggesting was reduced flights between 12 to 6am with possible only the existing runway in use and the new runway closed during that period, having lived in Ballymun for over 50 years I would have experience of flights etc. during all hours nobody including myself is suggesting no restrictions and free for all during the night as you say demand is not there. But it makes absolutely no sense to reduce existing capacity when the existing runway infrastructure works just because use a new runway is built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't think that anyone is suggesting a major uplift in night time activity at the airport over the existing flights.

The real issue is that the planning approval would reduce the number of flights during the hour between 06:00 and 07:00, which is pretty critical for getting flights to the Continent, as you lose an hour with the time difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The Runway was there before these areas were built up. Its like moving in next door to a stadium and complaining about noise on matchdays. Absolute nimbys. The new runway affects people who previously were unaffected and therefore nighttime restrictions are understandable. Restrictions on existing runways make no sense, especially blanket ones. The aircraft operating today are considerably quieter than their predecessors; if it was ok for 1-11s, 737 jurassics, 707s etc then it's absolutely fine for NEO, MAX, 787 etc.

Even if they were allowed use the noise Category system it would be somewhat understandable, or to expand the use of nighttime SIDS and STARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have to agree with the above.

If you move next to a source of noise, then you have to face the consequences of that decision.

I live across from a pub. For fourteen months from March 2020 there was basically no noise issue. More recently, the government's outdoor summer means that there's noise from midday until midnight seven days.

Rather than complain, I'm upgrading my windows to acoustic glass in the next few weeks to get my quality of life back.

Just my €0.02.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

What if the source of noise moves and increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Remember that the planning permission requires that the current runway will remain the primary landing runway, and the new runway will become the primary take-off runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

It hasn't, it has decreased with the advent of quieter aircraft, and as I said restrictions on the new runways are understandable, on the existing ones they are not.

Is that good news for the residents of Portmarnock?

I don’t think so.

Both the current rwys are new and relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They should never have been granted permission to build the new runway in the first place.

more serious fundamental concerns take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you trying to imply something you are very much banned from discussing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It is simply absurd that some residents who knew full well a runway was planned there either before their houses were built or for 60 years in existing homes should hold up progress. They have been given grant money to upgrade their homes (money I would argue they should not have been given in light of the fact they knew exactly what was coming for decades). Considerable money has been spent on the new runway and we need to exploit it to the fullest.

Advertisement