Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we coming out of the right side and we know lockdowns simply won't work again ?

Talk of Variants has slowed down

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's 76% of adults. But only something like 60% of population. We have a huge population of under 16s and the Delta variant will most likely spread through them like wildfire when they get together again. There is a reason there are no indoor summer camps or indoor play areas open this summer, unlike last year. And it's not because NPHET hate kids or want to screw over small businesses. When schools reopen in September it's really very likely that Delta will spread so much that breakthrough cases in vaccinated adults increase. And we could see too many serious cases in the elderly and vulnerable, who were vaccinated 6-8 months before as their weaker immune systems mean lower vaccine efficacy against this strain. Nobody with good sense would think it was ok to reopen more places before we see what happens when schools open, as we head into winter. None of us enjoy having to wait and see, but we have to wait and see. Realistically the models show that we may need 90% uptake of vaccines across the entire population. That means kids as well as adults. So it's really very likely that we need to wait until the vaccine is approved for 5-12 year olds of even 2-12 year olds and then given to them before we can actually, safely reopen properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And the good news vibe lasted less than an hour! There is no shock to anyone except you, who it seems is surprised the data is about over 16s. 12-15 seems to be about 270K and there is no consensus on what will be done about the under 12s. They are also the group least affected by COVD by far and viruses ripping through that age group is perfectly normal.

Serious cases are very low, so hard to see where your huge numbers are going to come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Certain people thrive on the doom and gloom, that’s why the good news vibe doesn’t last on these threads. The misinformation on these threads and making things as facts is hilarious .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely fantastic to see young people queueing at vaccinating centres . Well done to them and to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Such a pathetic number . Surely at the end of August let it be a full house after the last 18 months

It would be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is it 24000 per semi final or between ie 12000 a semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

"The Models"?, LOL. You mean the quack fortuneteller with his crystal ball going under the pompous title of "chairman of the Governments’ Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group".

Extraordinary that anyone can believe they have the power to foretell the future but even more extraordinary that some people believe the nonsense they come up with.

Micheál and Stephen are probably the last two holding out in awe. The rest have had enough. The "snake oil" statement (that belittled the other EU and equivalent CMO's) was the straw that broke the camel's back and finally proved that egomania was in play here...something that some of us here already knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Fair enough on what you say….I agree and disagree on some points…If what you say is correct then time to stop saying 76% fully vaccinated as it is somewhat misleading/not really relevant….If what you say is correct then we are only 60% and government should say so…Can’t have it both ways shall we say…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Now you're getting it. Maybe the penny will drop... eventually.

For those who care - 1098 new cases, 163 in hospital and 26 in ICU. All very stable looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I seem to remember the mythical herd immunity would be achieved around the 60% mark, now it’s 90+ never ending this shîte, protect the vulnerable surely they’re done now.

I can see a VOC emerge over the coming weeks and months that surprise surprise is more dangerous to children , and round and round we go.

holdfirm, in this together, the new normal, this is us.. makes me want to puke.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgsdfsdfsd

Well done? Really? They went and got a vaccine which is pretty much their moral duty as much as anyone else. And plenty others not paying any attention to public health measures compared to older people. But boo hoo, they've "lost" a year and a half. They have plenty more years to look forward to compared to plenty of older folks who might never get to do some things they might have planned.

I hope they never put you in charge of the under 9s! Moral duty mar dhea!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No need for the aggressive tone and language.

If you don't understand someone's post there are polite ways to ask but given your posting history I can see this apoears to be your style.

Am happy to explain further if you ask nicely... Otherwise you can ..... ....

Do you understand that?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Good for them.

Their IT systems and data management are better funded and better staffed.

Having worked there in the past and returned to a post here I remember noting the Irish system was at least 20 years behind

Not in care or treatment just management, and data provision and gathering

There is a lot that needs improvement for sure, but unfortunately playing catch up everywhere atm so it is down the list of priorities.

AsI said those numbers will be available in more detail, probably at the end of all this though which is not good.

Also they have been stressing for months now that the link between hospitalisation and deaths has been weakened, not broken as was thought initially, because of Delta.

Also in house infections were 14 at last weeks HSE briefing.. Out of 160.

So yes those figures at least have been and are being announced.. No misinformation or misleading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Jeez. I wouldn’t wish your mindset on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I was in town for the first time in a long time and my first thought passing restaurants with outdoor dining was alot of chairs were back-to-back. So people seated very close to each other. Made me think is this a contributing factor to the increase of cases lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

They are taking time out of their day to get a vaccine they don’t need for a virus that does not effect them. Fair play to all of them. And as I have said before it seems the old and vulnerable are very ungrateful for the sacrifices these young people have taken over the past year and a half including taking a vaccine that they do not need

While I disagree with you on their " need " to get a vaccine , I agree on the sentiment . Fair play to them , they have had a sxxt year and a half , along with the rest of us , mind , but I think it is hard to be young and be so restricted .

This is or will be a way out of that for most of them though .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am old , over 65 . I still have time to say well done to the young people who queued . We all know that the vaccine numbers dropped in every country the younger the cohort . I am proud of the young people who are civic minded and doing this for us all

Post edited by iamwhoiam on

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

My first thought was, if you would have stayed home instead of spreading Covid in town, you would not contribute to the increase of cases lately.

How do you delete posts on this bloody site , does anyone know ?

All I seem to be able to do is edit .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't know, but if something doesn't change or improve soon, there'll be no user's left and it will be a permanent delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ah its not THAT bad

They arent doing it for anyones good, they are doing it so they can get into pubs and restaurants and onto flights without having to pay for PCRs.

There will be a massive exodus of young people out of this country,its starting already.

I was told today teo hundred recently qualified Doctors are booked onto a flight to Australia, it costs eight thousand euros in total to go between flights, tests, quarantine and these people have got the money together.

Many young people really dislike the elderly now,they feel their lives were put on hold and now that all the vulnerable are protected we tell young people they cant sit indoors for a meal.

some bloody country to be young in.!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

I would not pick Australia now, it is a highly restricted crap hole now.

Advertisement