Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If it's a random tweet from an unverified source featuring a known liar/bully/scammer then it must be true.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Coming from the person who posted it that doesnt amount to much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aren't journalists usually paid? That's the definition of professional, isn't it?

What's the tax status of this newspaper funded by donations (and if you believe that, I've got a nice bridge that you might like to buy)?

Is she a charity? Is she a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Plus the whole Award from Big Pharma for her journalism

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The pair of them apparently have launched an Irish edition of a British far right anti-vaxx newspaper according to the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭mikethecop

jesus tell me thats sarcasm and you dont really believe that ?

Unfortunately there are people who genuinely believe everything that GOD/JW say or do despite the fact most of it nowadays is utter drivel and conspiracy and hatemongering

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

But you realise both are fairly unhinged these days.... for quite some time too.

There is something that Gemma fans dont seem to know about her, back in early 2020, she and other members of the so called Irish far right were big supporters of airport hotel quranteen and closing the airports completely, it was only when Varadker and co announced lockdowns in late march that they did a 180 degree turn and starting saying that there is no such thing as Covid.

Here is a video of Gemma from March 2020, the gas thing is the whole "close the airports" thing that she was calling for way back then became left wing policy in the first quarter of this year with Richard Boyd Barrett, Paul Murphy, SF and the Socdems all calling for it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JomRxOZkFzQ

So just to be clear, you're suggesting that someone with Gemma's track record is not racist;

• Chasing a black mother across a church car park (Mullingar iirc)
    • Going into a halal shop and demanding bacon
    • Rounding up her supporters in a pile-on against a mixed race family used in a Lidl advert to the extent that they had to leave the country

You've heard her 'Ireland for the Irish' schtik, coming from the widow of an immigrant?

Would you like me to keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭mikethecop

no they are just nuts and to be fair you aint coming out of this too well either

they should both be assessed by a competent medical and mental health professional

It's embarrassing the way that Gemma is upset at the fact that anti-lockdown protests without her involvement get large turnouts so she says that they are organised by "plants" because she says it doesn't make sense that the protests she organised were attended by less than 20 people

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I decided there's no point of getting to worked about Gemma and her followers.

Look at the vaccine uptake which is great and people in general were good enough with stuff during the past 18 months.

Look around at your local area at those who are into the anti vac and stuff and there are generally the usual crackpots who people want nothing to do with.

They think there having am impact but they aren't real. They may have a lot of friends on Facebook but there all nearly from fake/strange accounts.

Gemma has turned her back on all the new mates she made the past year and called them plants because they were getting more attention than her, John is the only friend she has left, how long until she falls out with him 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

"Halal butchers should not exclude members of the community by not selling normal everyday meat as well"

Ridiculous comment, like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Are you saying businesses cant operate their business as they see fit? Who decides what normal everyday meat is?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah, Gemma always needs to be the general. She thought she was walking into clean pastures ready for the plucking but soon found out that there were plenty of Silverbacks in that field and weren't afraid to use their elbows.

She's flown through the list of prospective allies Gilroy, Cahill, Dee. Not much sign nor talk of Gran Tourino these days either. Anyone active on the Right sniffed Gemma out quick enough as the chance she is and they knew the "Grab the Flag" trick she was trying to play.

One of the obvious ones was trying to gather Ben's protesters outside the Joy and Pied Piper them down to Barrow Street for her own protest.

The air of middle class entitlement that eminates from Gemma would stick in the craw of most Yellow Vesters.

Her newly found religious zealoutry isn't cutting the mustard either.

When you're saying "Divine law supercedes court laws" you're on shaky enough ground especially when the like of Gilroy had been pushing another kinda law altogether!

On a side note-I think Gemma fell out, with Dee because Dee's getting on board with the new outsider coming up hard on the inside rails- Sandra Giltrap.

Gemma's big problem is that she overestimated the stupidity of the people she's trying to court. She tried worming her way into the Right and thought everyone would fall for her.

And she was wrong. But she'll never understand that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the long queues from young people the last couple of days at the walk in clinics, and the full vaccination figures sitting at 70+%, thankfully Gemma and her type truly are just fringe cranks, clutching for relevancy through paranoid cynicism masquerading as "free thought". No actual, valuable contribution to make except shaking placards and sloganeering with all the intellectual rigour of an undergrad.

I'm not naive that this is the end of things, I look forward to hearing the same empty talking points when the booster shots come along in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,704 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I just seen a vid of your wan who used to work on TV3 Aishling O'Loughlin having an in depth conversation with a lunatic "doctor" down the country on the vaccines. Bit surprised. She never struck me as a loon.

What is happening with these people? Have we a load of Gemma's running around we don't even know about yet? 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The woman claimed, without the slightest hint of irony, that 30 years of the Troubles in Northern Ireland were a "staged event". As in they didn't happen for real. Waters clearly agrees with her as he was nodding away in the video where she dropped this zinger. Let that sink in for a moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Or, let's be honest, she's stupid enough to believe it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where's the evidence Gemma is someone who trolls; indeed who would even be the target of a troll that The Troubles were staged? Seems an odd choice. And if so, how do you tell the difference between shítposting Gemma and earnest Gemma?

And again, what operation? Instead of making snark towards her critics' values, maybe self analyse your own stern defence of her beyond presuming "most likely" some historical shenanigans when she comes off with obvious fallacies like the Troubles being "staged". Given her embrace of conspiracy theory, the precedent doesn't back up your assertion - but the burden of proof is on you to contextualise an ostensible generalisation.

Anyone who engages in trolling doesn't have values worth respecting. She either believes what she peddles or she's grifting.

It's simple enough: you assert her comment was either trolling some unmentioned folk, or speculated it referred back to some prior investigation. The ask is simply to show some evidence to back this up. Ockham's Razor says it's another conspiracy theory on her part, given her history; if you know specifics that say otherwise, then do share.

Do you genuinely think anyone is going to believe this? Trolling is trolling. It has no high aim or purpose.

If Gemma & pals don't want to be considered a racist, they shouldn't engage in regular racism. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement

She didn't refer to 'some operation'. She referred to the whole thing, decades of murder and mayhem, being twisted and weaponised to spread fear, confusion and doubt amongst those who she well knows aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

Did you delete your reply to my post where you mentioned that Mullingar immigrant issues are a hot topic in the news, or did the mods remove it? It's a shame as I was looking forward to responding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement