Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Loose hurling won't win out. All the top teams can play beautiful hurling when there's space. I don't rate current Cork as they've proven nothing, this year or in recent years. They look light. KK are experts at closing that space down. They are very familiar with Croke Park. KK by 6. If Cork prove me wrong, I'll gladly eat humble pie.

Waterford are flying, I disagree that they flagged in the last 5 min, just the ebb and flow of championship. They scored the last 3 scores. Has Liam Cahill logged a different game plan in his head for Limerick after last year's AI final? Could they do a KK on Limerick like 2019? Quite possibly. I'd give them a right good 40% chance. Tipp have proven to be a great team, but too many players past their best this year. They literally wilted in the heat of the 3rd quarter v Limerick. Was that 20 minutes Limerick's apogee...

I wouldn't say Limerick showed their hand. Everyone knows how they play since 2018. It's combating that style. In 2001 Meath were poor against Westmeath in Leinster, poor, but won, against Dublin in the Leinster final, Dublin hit a huge amount of wides. Meath again struggled against Westmeath in the quarter final. Against Kerry they shot the lights out and Kerry didn't turn up. Meath were made favourites v Galway in the final on the basis of one game where the opposition didn't show. Limerick haven't shown their hand. They've been consistent and everyone knows their strengths.

Cork will blindside them?! With what? There is nothing in Cork's armoury that John Kiely doesn't know about. It will be an attempt to run Limerick all over the place. You can't compare Cork hurlers 2021 with Galway footballers 2001. Galway footballers were winners. 1998 All Ireland, lost the final after a replay in 2000. Different pedigree in their team to Cork hurlers now. John O'Mahony was a far more experienced manager and achieved more than Kieran Kingston.

Post edited by External Association on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Was Liam Cahill lined up for the Tipp manager position two years ago only for Sheedy to be pulled out of the hat at the last minute with new sponsor etc arranged? If so, what sweet revenge for Cahill today. He'll surely not rush back to Tipp now after the way he was treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Kilkenny had better hurlers than Cork 2006-2010.

You're living in the past.

Put it this way you have 6 or so teams who play 'lovely' hurling, 5 or so others bar Cork, I know this might come as a shock. So on that level they are pretty even.

Now 2 or 3 of those counties can play stylish hurling and be physical. That puts them ahead of a team that relies totally on skill.

Since 2013 every team that won Liam has been physical. Kilkenny, Tipp, Galway and Limerick. The times have changed. You have to be able to mix it. Cork have been flat track bullies for the last 15 years or so. They'll score 7-30 against Westmeath or Laois. But when it comes to the top 4. No go.

I love watching Laois play, we play a lovely brand of hurling. But we're a light team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It's easy to showcase the skills when Dublin players stand 10 yards away from you or when you have the ability to completely burn them in a foot race. As athletes and as hurlers Dublin were completely outmatched this evening. It's a different game when a man your equal in speed and strength doesn't leave your side for 70 minutes; the skills come under a bit more pressure. That's what Kilkenny will bring and more. Not convinced Cork have what it takes to win that battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Tradition and hurling titles are moot points imo. Cork havent been a hurling force for nearly 20yrs now. Kilkennys star has fallen in the last 5 or 6yrs but still alot more recent success and competitiveness than Cork. Cork have yet to close out a tight game against a top side and until they do I wouldnt count on their ability to do so. Of course they can win and its close to s 50/50 game but KK still have that ability to win games they shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

€50 a ticket is a steep enough price for the semi finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Couldn't go but wouldn't with that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Couldn't get a ticket for yesterday, first match in a very long tíme not gone to Lockdown aside, it Felt wrong watching on the telly.

Praying for one now for Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Spot on. One thing is always 100% guaranteed with Kilkenny, they will turn up ready for war under Cody! And especially in All Ireland semi finals, their record is ridiculous.

In the last 15 minutes when the real men are asked to step up, Kilkenny have a lot more of them than Cork in my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Cork under 20s out of the under 20 all ireland due to a covid case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Are they?

My understanding is they are unable to play in the final next weekend. The fixture might simply be delayed until a later date.

You are saying they are out, so Galway are Champions?

I don't believe that is the case.

Yeah, the game is off. Currently out of it. No date fixed.

Can you point out to me where I said Galway were champions? Do you think Cork will be able to play Kilkenny? :) You seem to have powers to see things where there is none.

Are there under 20s members of the senior panel?

Do you have a date for me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well, you said Cork were out of the U20 All Ireland. Out of the competition, means.....out.

Therefore Galway have no opposition in the final, i.e. Galway would be champions, a walkover. I don't believe the game has been officially called off, just that Cork cannot fulfill the fixture.

I presume (and hope) it will be refixed and that Cork are indeed Not out of the All Ireland, like what you said.

I've read they're out of the game. Cannot fulfill the fixture.

You're saying they're in?

I read "Cork will now be hoping the 2021 decider will be re-fixed for a later date."

Hope is not a certainty, is it? So, they're out until they reschedule it? If they do?

Are there members of the under 20s, members of the Senior Cork panel?

You're obsessed with me. This has to stop.

Is this another chasing up to try and angle one of those warnings you love giving me?

Is the term 'bully' still a term of abuse? Or a technical term that identifies someone who gives abuse?

I still think you're wrong. Bully is not a term of abuse. But sure give me another warning there.

You love your little warnings. You're dying to get rid of me. At least have some follow through.

I responded to your post that said Cork U20 are out of the All Ireland. They are not out until a Walkover is given.

Some of the above post is laughable to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Know of people who can't watch live matches on TV involving there county. Personally prefer been at the games

You couldn't make it up, could you. Anything else you want to nitpick over? Did you get your victory yet?

Calling someone's post laughable, is that civil?

I think everyone would prefer to be at games. I think the semis will have around 24k at them, which is a huge increase on the games so far, which is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Really looking forward to Cork v Kilkenny. Complete opposite teams in style of play, either team could win fairly easily or it could be a draw. Hoping for good weather and a cracking match.

• Advertisement

Similar thoughts on it. The other semi looks way more one sided, with Limerick being the best around and Waterford out for 4 weeks in a row which has proven to be a real issue in the past and they looked out on their feet in the closing stages. I think that great save energised them to get them over the line.

Kilkenny v Cork is going to be close. Cork scoring goals this year, has me far more confident for the game.

Should be 2 good games but I reckon the closer game will be Cork's one.

So, there's under 20s on the cork senior panel? What does that mean for the Kilkenny game? Will Kilkenny object? Will they risk it? Who else will the HSE deem close contacts?

Dublin had to play with a weakened team in a Leinster final.,Mayo v Leitrim. Sligo, out of the 2020 championship. Different rules for Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why do Cork get to dictate that the u20 match is off? Dublin seniors had to play KK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Mayo footballers also had to play after a corona virus scare

Well, apparently ths HSE said that All players and management are classified as close contacts, as distinct from 3 or 4 I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

They didn’t dictate anything. It the HSE that declared the whole panel close contacts. Dublin seniors had 4 or 5 close contacts.

• Advertisement

Interesting point. Better for Cork to have the entire panel deemed as close contacts rather than play the match short a few players!!!

But now, I presume, they can't train, can they? Hardly the best preparation I would imagine. Or because they are a Group can they?

I think this is a power move from Cork. It's very odd the whole squad and management has been deemed close contacts.

There should independent verification sought on this issue.

It's all very strange.

They could be boxing clever so they don't have to play a weakened team.

How can the whole whole squad be close contacts and management? FROM ONE CASE? ONE CASE? Unless they didn't enforce any of the regulations surrounding covid. And if that's the case they shouldn't be allowed a replay. Play your second squad or move on.

I would presume the HSE are fairly independent to the Cork County Board.

Okay. I've only seen statements from Cork GAA on social media.

Can you link me the HSE statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What was the waterford penalty for yesterday

Something isn't right with this covid issue. As a poster mentioned, if teams are following correct protocols there is no way the entire panel can be deemed as close contacts. The whole GAA season has taken place around those protocols. If they haven't been followed then GAA need to act.

But wouldn't close contacts mean the player himself would name the close contacts? Your asked for close contacts? Very clever from Cork. I can see it now. Name the whole panel and management, we'll get them to reschedule rather than play a weakened side. Very clever from the cork boys.

But if the cork under 20s are all close contacts, doesn't that mean the senior side would be close contacts of their under 20s panel members on the senior panel? Might have opened a can of worms?

Kilkenny county board better get on the blower in the morning asap.

Cork's GAA Twitter.

You said you only read it on Cork GAA Social Media. What would you call their Twitter?? They Clearly say the HSE

Ah here......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's only based on the contact tracing from the HSE. The player who tested positive dictates who their close contacts are so this is obviously premeditated to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The HSE decision making for close contacts is based purely on what the positive case tells them about their own movement and contacts.

They will not involve themselves in the accuracy of and statements from the hundreds of these cases they deal with everyday.

Wasn't there an issue between Clare and Wexford earlier in the year, and who said what and who decided close contacts?

I'm merely flagging the info is from Cork. Not the HSE. This does not add up. One case translates to all players and management... wowza... this is not adding up. This young lad was asked to flag everyone to get the game postponed rather than play a weakened side. It's obvious.

• Advertisement

It isn't as issue for Kilkenny County Board. Croke Park need to investigate it and take whatever action required. Had a similar situation occurred in the middle of the season the entire championship would have been in disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

As far as I know, there are only two u20's on the Cork Senior Panel. Because they are on the senior panel, they are not part of the Cork u20 panel. If however, the u20 final is scheduled after the Cork senior panel have finished their campaign, the 2 lads could play in the u20 final.

You couldn't be up to Cork

So a positive player could name 20 or 30 people and the HSE would classify all of them as close contacts? Didn't think that would happen, but maybe that's exactly what did happen.

Well, If I was KK county Board, I'd want to know what pods the under 20s are part of and if they trained senior and who they trained with and are they close contacts too and are they waiting to announce this later in the week or do they know already and are holding it back. I'd be doing my best to find out who where what and why.

You're telling me there's zero chance these two senior and under 20 panel boyos didn't socially meet anyone or management from the under 20 side? There's a chance of that. And cork could be holding that back until later in the week... you wouldn't know what could come out of Cork next. It's only Cork info, not HSE info. So, they're not in obligation to offer that patient info until later in the week or day of the game, who knows.

But if a Positive player, say the Dublin fella, tells the HSE of his movements etc of course he would tell them of his training with his County team. How then wouldn't the HSE classify them all as close contacts? What could the Cork player have told the HSE apart from his training schedule etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah well as far as I'm aware if you're a covid case you list all your close contacts and that's pretty much it. HSE don't have the capacity to audit them or determine if each is actually a close contact or not.

Tyrone had covid cases today and it didn't stop them getting on with the game minus those players . Same with Dublin hurlers against Kilkenny. Neither panel were deemed close contacts. Something not right with Cork issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

• Advertisement

Cork have made an absolute shambles of this. This is going to get super interesting this week. Cork could just have traumatised it's whole new flock of lovely players.

Advertisement