Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It wont be just indoor dining though

The unvaccinated won't be allowed to packed stadiums and discos swimming and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Vaccinations make a massive difference to ICU admissions. They obviously aren't stopping everyone from getting infected but they're keeping them mostly out of the ICUs. That's a massive help in the fight against this - it turns it into something that might make the public more inclined to open back up.

I was specifically referring to the lifting of restrictions. They haven't made any difference in terms of the lifting of restrictions. Gibraltar vaccinates its population, still has restrictions and masks. Malta achieves herd immunity, still has loads of restrictions. Iceland vaccinates its population and restrictions have been reintroduced. Israel the same. England is the only country where vaccination led to the lifting of restrictions.

Yes, and it will be widely supported and there will be no opposition.

I don't see discos returning, but the unvaccinated will be banned from everywhere else, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For a number of reasons. One being that nobody knows how long immunity lasts, and there have been cases of people being reinfected. So even ignoring the large number of deaths attempting it you will still not achieve zero Covid. In other words,attempting to achieve it you would still have the problem some here are complaining about over vaccines and transmissions, but a lot more with serious illness and many more deaths.

Another is that, in Ireland for example, the number infected over the last 17 months is 6% of the population. Not only do we not know how many of those are still immune, we don`t how many have since being infected availed of a vaccine. With that 6% meaning very little as regards herd immunity, it highly likely that at this stage it is much less than 6%

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It encourages binge drinking tbh

What's the rationale for the early close ? They won't answer that question because they don't knw the answer

Jokeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Lifting of restrictions is a political decision and not a medical outcome though. Theoretically, you could have a vaccine that was so perfect that it stopped all infection and transmission but the government could still choose to implement restrictions regardless of that. The vaccine doesn't directly cause lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is lots of evidence that immunity after infection is long lasting. I think its safe to say that it will be like sars 1. People infected with that still have immunity all these years later

In Israel, reinfections account for less than 1% of new cases, whereas fully vaccinated are 40%. Its time to stop saying "we don't know" when it comes to natural immunity IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Has to be done

The majority will suffer otherwise

Need to end this shlt asap

• Advertisement

Other than for the reasons I gave in my last post, I am not giving naturally acquired immunity any consideration because anywhere it has been attempted such as the U.K initially or for Sweden attempting it for longer it failed. Manaus also claimed they had achieved it, as did India only for numbers to subsequently go through the roof and restrictions being reimposed.

That second last paragraph, what is it you do not get about the restrictions. They were, and still are for health reasons, and as the level of dangers to health are being reduced due to vaccines, so is the level of restrictions. I would have though that was obvious.

I do not know if you have ever been to Florida, but I have been there three times and tbh the Floridians are welcome too it so I doubt there would be a flood of Irish looking to live their even if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Binge drinking is happening all over the country. Houses , fields , air bnbs , docklands .. Everywhere. The curfew doesn't stifle binge drinking. It achieves absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nothing wrong with it but it's not an option for some people who might like a few after work etc

What are the health reasons in fully vaccinated Gibraltar? Fully vaccinated Iceland? Fully vaccinated Malta? If fully vaccinating the population isn't enough for all restrictions to be lifted then I don't know what is.

With Florida I`m not sure it is due to lower vaccination levels. Florida is around the national average and only a few points lower than California.

A short time ago here some were making a point that restrictions were doing nothing to lower infections and subsequent deaths as there were no differences between both states in either even though Florida`s governor had lifted all restrictions.

There is presently a major difference in both infections and deaths so on the basis that you cannot have it both ways, the only explanation that makes sense to me is Florida`s lack of restrictions. Business in Florida seem to agree with that as some of the larger ones are telling visitors and staff to ignore DeSantis and go with the Federal advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If people binge drink because their drinking has a time limit, those people shouldn't be drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nowhere is under restrictions in the US right now though. Only a handful of cities have mask mandates even. Most places are still saying vaccinated don't need them (which in reality means hardly anyone wears them vaccinated or not). It's not like Florida is unique in its lack of restrictions right now

The surge is happening at pretty much the exact same time as it did last year. Same in my state, having capacity limits and a mask mandate didn't stop it then.

No idea, but with just 8 deaths in Malta for the past 3 months, 1 in Gibraltar for the past 5 months and 1 for Iceland in the last 7 months then I would hazard a guess that whatever the are they believe the are working.

With Florida having the national average for vaccinations yet had an all time daily high for new cases a few days ago, and 408 death last week, if that is not due to the lack of restrictions then I do not know what is. Their tourist industry, a major employer and large contributor to federal, state and local taxes, appears to believe the same.

• Advertisement

Again, California or anywhere else isn't under restrictions either so how does that work?

Funny to read all the glass-half-empty folks on here. We're into the first weekend of the latest round of restrictions being relaxed. And it's a bank holiday weekend, no less. I'd say give it a couple more weekends and see if ICU numbers go up. Or you could just all keep losing your sh*t and going on about things that might not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

A few more weeks you say.. When they gave those crazy numbers based on no additional vaccines was the last straw for a lot of the country, restrictions being lifted followed that nonsense was the only way we were going. Where were the deaths coming from with the at risk jabbed ?

Really ?

Last time I checked face masks in California, unlike Florida, were still mandatory until at least 13th. Sepember on all public transport for both vaccinated and unvaccinated, and were also mandated for those unvaccinated in indoor public settings.

The UK spiked and then came back down again when they relaxed things. It's not unreasonable to think it might be similar here.

I agree the "two more weeks" thing has probably been done to death at this stage, but I think it's probably appropriate to where we are with things opening up right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Restricted opening. My child can go into a pub but can't go to a indoor summer camp.. What idiots are making these decisions?

AS I have said in my last post, FAIK, face masks are still mandatory in Californis for everyone, vaccinated or not on public transport, and for unvaccinated in public settings, (bars etc.), unlike Florida with no restrictions case numbers and deaths are much lower. Florida reaching an all time daily high for case numbers just last week. Do you not think that perhaps there is an obvious corellation there ?

Or indeed between Germany and France`s dropping of restrictions attempting to open up early with low vaccination numbers that resulted in curfews and "hand brakes" needing to be applied, when nationally, even now months after some states dropped all restrictions, just 50% are fully vaccinated ?

Well you need to check again. Face masks aren't mandatory in California, only a few counties there have made the move back to a mandate. For the state in general they are required for unvaccinated people but that isn't enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've taken the vaccine on the basis of them working and protecting the vulnerable at large, if I find fook all change in this prison life way of living before year end I will not be letting any more of it in to my body and advise people around me to do the same.

Advertisement