Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Dara Purcell has the potential to transform Dublin hurling. That young fella is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Be interesting to see if Dublin raise their intensity today to make a statement. Lots of question marks over where they are at right now. I’m guessing they win today and we find out against Mayo.

Got a ticket for today but don’t fancy getting anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Dublin will win handy enough. From what I remember of the Kildare v Westmeath game - Kildare had some awful poor patches of play. Really poor wides and decision making. A very frustrating team have some very good players but it never seems to 'click'.

The Kildare fan in front of me was disgusted at how they played and nearly threw the game away against Westmeath in the closing stages. Dublin by 10-15 points would be my guess. As you say it will be interesting because Dublin had that poor second half v Meath. Will Dublin come out flying and keep the accelerator pressed until the final 70 or start pulling up?

I will taking a close look on how the Dublin bench plays they really need to step up and show a bit of 'go'.

In a funny way switching off/playing badly in that second half v Meath is no harm, in that it gives Dessie a chance to light up his players. Imo Kildare are small bit below Meath's level overall, so if Dublin have fire in their bellies you would think the game should be over as a contest with most of the game to go. I don't want to see any sloppiness or switching off this time though! It will be important to make a 'statement' as you say if Dublin are to play Mayo.

If I was Kildare I would just go for in blocks of the game, and run at that Dublin defence who are very suspect these days then 'funnell back' in parts of the game where they need to take the 'sting' out it. Basically just tell the fast lads to run at Dublin and throw in the occasional high ball as well. Are Kildare fit enough to do that I am not so sure? Easier said than done and hard to do in practice and consistently.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I certainly expect a handy win but the level we play at and the subs used will give us an idea how we will get on against mayo which will be a big step up on who we have played so far . Have not seen the subs yet so don't know the injury situation but we certainly will need our best after today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin in control here but it's still not a great performance, sloppy upfront, Kilkenny has had a few poor wides Con and Costello not in the game much.

Lots of sloppy stuff , no intensity and wasted chances. This is becoming a really concerning pattern:

Even if they thump Kildare in second half there’s a lot to worried about. They won’t beat Mayo playing like this.

Mind you it’s a nice day at Croker , very mild.

Real echoes of 2012 for Dublin this year, stumbling along but never really looking impressive. Even Fenton has been sloppy in possession.

Very poor shooting from us overall another mediocre display mayo will quite happy watching this .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Haha, you just have to laugh at times. Flynn barges straight into Copper with a shoulder to the chest and the refs says play on for the goal. That was after he clearly pulled McCarthy to win the original ball.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Good goal by Flynn, sauntering through the Dublin defence...

Job done but very unconvincing big task next day out .

I'm not even sure what the rules of the game are anymore when we are playing.

That was a scandalous decision to disallow the goal. Seems only our players were over carrying today.

I guess we will find out against Mayo if it’s been the end of an era or if it’s been a cunning operation convincing everybody outside their own camp that they are looking extremely vulnerable.

The lack of pace In our team at the moment (either by holding back or that it’s genuinely gone) is very worrying.

The difference when Murchan burst forward once or twice and even the Basquels showed a bit of pace late on. We used to have Jack, KevMc, Mannion, even MDMA to break a tackle with speed.

Kildare got their tactics as good as they could get them today. Fair play to them. Defend in numbers when required and run at Dublins defence when they had the chance.

I think you have hit the nail on the head about Dublin regarding the pace. Especially in the final third I was shouting where’s the zip? Rather than taking on men quick change of pace, mixed with quick interchange of passes. Movement and decision making is an issue as well, we see lads going for the backwards pass killing momentum. I think Ryan Basquel did a big long backways pass when he was in a dangerous area of the pitch. If it was Kevin Mc or Bernard they would have tried to skin their man.

Plus on top of lack of zip, the mantra of taking percentage shots has being forgotten. I remember one Hail Mary job from Fenton that went wide. Then there is the sloppiness was it Mick Fitz who got caught by Daniel Flynn dilly dallying? (Great player D Flynn is by the way) Very uncharacteristic stuff from Dublin. Three poor games in a row now just doing ‘enough’ with the same issues reappearing.

I actually fancy Mayo to win the next day, first time since 2019 where I thought Dublin could lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It was collie who played the ball back as he was isolated with 3 Kildare players around him, he took the correct option and it resulted in a point. No player would try and take a ball into contact with three of the opposition.

Ok fair enough but I think in that same position before (in free flowing years) players would be giving options left and right. To me it was hesitation that killed move. Before you would have lads going for the kill giving support options. Where Collie was a fella like Bernard would be cutting in snappy ready to curl it over. Seemed really odd to me to have to resort to a big pass backwards. How often did you see a Dublin team having to that from an attacking position?

saw an awful lot of backward passing from some advanced postions today several times no player in support in some good postions .

Seen it fairly regularly over the past few seasons, especially when the game was well in hand and the opposition were sitting with 14 men behind the ball.

I thought we were far better today than the previous games. Looked a lot better on and off the ball. Still plenty to improve but to me it looks like the team is just starting to hit stride. Let's not forget, we are into the meaty end of the season without breaking a sweat and shipping very few injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kildare set up not to concede goals and it worked well for them. They had a plan and stuck well to it. For all that Dublin hit 20 points.

My concern is also about lack of pace. Each team left has serious pace in the squads and Im not sure we have. The defense was better and thats a plus and also seen glimpses of what they usually do. The game will have brought the team on BUT Im not sure it is enough.

We can find deficiencies in each team that is left but I think they will be better teams than what we have faced over the last 3/4 years.

I think if Kerry beat Tyrone they will win Sam. Hope Im wrong..... There is a matter of Mayo first and they look better than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The pace of Murchan is unreal, there was a point where he picked up the ball just inside his own 45 and in about 7 or 8 seconds had ran up to the Kildare 45, looked like his feet weren’t touching the grass, phenomenal athlete.

It also seems like Dessie doesn't know his "best" team yet and is still tinkering around with selections and pairings in key positions. The truncated league and AI campaigns have probably fed into this but for me he's still a bit unsure about what he wants.

Murchan is like a missile going forward but I think teams will plan to deal with that now. The big concern is we dont appear to have enough pace around the field. Possibly they will play him as a half forward? Scully dropping deeper.......

Maybe that pace links the defense and attack better then actually if he was a half forward but either way he’d be effective...

with that awesome pace and athleticism there really isn’t a way to deal with it unless you have two or three on him almost from when he receives the football, which might or will leave you over exposed elsewhere.... try foul him to slow up attacks... could work, the standards of refereeing being so atrocious it could be the most obvious and achievable tactic

Its the one thing you cant have enough of... But I just think we need someone else in half forwards. Possibly Paddy Small someone very nippy not necessarily with the pace of Murchan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The thing about refereeing is that we are not going to get the 50/50 decisions. That is what happens to all great teams. Look at Seamus Darby stopping the Kerry 5-in-a-row, he pushed the Kerry back before scoring the goal. Same in other sports, look at the Arsenal team, kicked off the pitch in their attempt to go 50 unbeaten with the assistance of the referee.

We will get pulled up for overcarrying even if our forward is fouled. We will get punished for dissent. So far, we have escaped black and red cards - they are coming, it happens to all great teams so that the competition will be levelled. Now, this is not a criticism of referees, it is the David vs Goliath underdog thing coming to the fore and happening sub-consciously.

Referees need to forget the color of the jerseys and who is wearing them... just apply the rules, equally in every minute of every game ... current standards are just laughably poor but it seems to be Dublin on the receipt and often having to navigate opposition 15 and incompetent officials with an agenda ...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭skilachi

Lads. What's happened to the Reservoir Dubs site? .It's telling me their domain has gone and I can't log in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What's the jackanory with tickets lads? Info is like trying to get a hold of the third secret of Fatima Mansions.

Advertisement