Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

I'm not sure people here have accepted that either. When can we move on? When will the over zealous zero covid crowd stop be given air time? This is endemic, can we move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Whats so frightening about unarmed army personal, under police command, assisting police to go door knocking to ensure people who have tested positive are isolating in accordance with the Sydney lockdown?

gral6's one line trolling would have you believe Australia is under martial law. Very far from it talking to people over there.

Seriously? What's frightening about the army being deployed in Sydney? It's covid. It's 2021, not March 2020. I guess we just have different opinions about covid and restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

From Australia's perspective it is effectively March 2020 from a virus outbreak perspective, they haven't vaccinated enough to meaningfully reduce the transmission rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

My opinion would be based on a speaking to a relative yesterday who said first she knew about the army was when she saw a couple of lads in camo on her way back home after a swim at Bondi. She said they went up and asked what was going on and they explained they were door knocking in the area. She said they all had a bit of a craic about Bondi being the new Belfast after hearing their accents before moving on.

Frightening stuff indeed.

But time and knowledge has moved on. Covid is endemic. Even with high levels of vaccinations, there will be cases. As we've seen in Israel and Gibraltar. Will Australia live with any covid cases? If so, at what cost? If not, how many covid cases are acceptable? In fairness, I'm waiting on our government to decide this.

It isn't endemic in Ireland yet as we still have restrictions, it probably will become endemic once we fully open up with a high vaccination number.

Australia is effectively beginning at 0 again and may have to go through first/second/third waves and lockdowns unless they can speed up their vaccine rollout.

Effectively they have just delayed the misery?

Maybe not if they can get vaccines rolled out, but yes, the phrase "kicking the can down the road" is what everyone has been saying the last year (even the zero COVID cheerleaders have given up in that area). It also reinforces that Ireland was correct in how it dealt with it given our land border and close proximity to Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good. The amount of bats*** crazy that comes from that channel is surreal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't think Australia's strategy has failed necessarily, but their planning for vaccines has certainly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Why hospitalisation rate is so high in Australia? Are they trying to put everyone tested positive into hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Who are are looking for to answer your questions? You already have a very strong opinion on the Australian situation. The Australian boardies on here have gone into great detail on what its actually like, theres some very detailed and thought out responses about the lockdowns and vaccine rollout. However, you dont give two **** about what the opinions of those actually living it, as godforbid it doesnt meet your doomsday agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, not necessarily.

The goal for all countries is basically the same; get the population vaccinated and, pending that, minimise infections, hospitalisations and deaths.

Australia has performed poorly at getting the population vaccinated, but extremely successfully at avoiding infections, hospitalisations and deaths. This is the reverse of countries like the UK and the US, who have performed well at vaccination, but poorly at avoiding infections, etc, in the meantime.

There's no fundamental reason why success in avoiding infections, etc, can't be sustained until vaccination is achieved. If that happens, Australia won't have just delayed the misery; it will have avoided it.

There is no guarantee that it will happen. But it has certainly happened so far, and it is worth continuing to target it. Any suggesion that, because Australia hasn't perfectly avoided infections, hospitalisations and deaths, it should therefore abandon attempts to do so while the population is still largely unvaccinated would be drivelling idiocy of the most spectacular kind.

Basically, Australia's failure to acheive rapid vaccination leaves it with no option but to continue doing what it has been doing up to now. Fortunately, what it has been doing up to now has worked extremely well.

Where's this "mumber of years" coming from? If Ireland can go from a standing start to 70%+ vaccination rates in a little over 8 months, I don't why it will necessarily take Australia several years. Performance to date has been poor, but that doesn't mean it must inevitably be poor forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol, no it doesn't. Your posts are entertaining if nothing else 🤪

Here in WA, we've done very well all things considered. Although, the hotel quarantine system should have been replaced by a proper facility a long time ago. I'm in my mid-30s and now fully vaxxed (Pfizer, had a terrible reaction to the second one) but unfortunately we're short on supply thanks to the failings of the federal government. The 80% target is optimistic given the amount of vaccine hesitancy, which is in large part caused by irresponsible reporting in the media, but that should change if the lockdowns continue and getting jabbed is seen as a way out.

No country has gotten their COVID strategy spot on but life has been pretty much normal in Perth for the last 18 months, and I'm grateful for that considering what friends and family in other parts of the world have gone through. Fingers crossed we'll be able to open up early next year.

Gral6 isn't in Sydney and doesn't actually know what it looks like. He's saying this in a forum which actually includes people in Sydney, telling them - rather than asking them - what their city looks like right now.

I think that tells you all you need to know about Gral6. Pay him no mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

New modelling suggest that Sydney needs even stricter controls ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Australia the country or the people from here must have done something to upset gral6 because it lives rent free in his head.

It's funny how a picture is painted of wandering soldiers on patrol across the streets of Sydney, something akin to what you'd see in the West Bank or the Gaza Strip. In reality, 200 soldiers are helping police with compliance efforts in the west and south-west suburbs and are there for the humanitarian side of things (i.e. ensuring people have what they need to stay home and helping those requiring further assistance such as elderly/disabled). They are unarmed and have no powers to arrest or issue infringement notices. This frees up police resources to be deployed elsewhere. Given last week one house door they knocked on to check a confirmed covid positive case was isolating but found out he had gone to work on a building site would suggest the additional support for compliance checking is warranted.

But no, it fits the narrative of some a lot better to give the impression soldiers are on patrol with assault rifles threatening citizens to go home if they are seen out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

That does cut both ways. Some of the posters currently in Australia are quite happy to tell gral and others how it is or was in Ireland now and over the past 18 months. I think it's reasonable to assume, given the Australian travel restrictions, that most of those people don't have first hand experience of what things are like in Ireland and are reliant on media/friends/family for their perspective.

I would expect that a lot of people in Ireland following this thread, like me, did a stint in Aus/NZ at some time and are genuinely interested in what's happening there, as they would have been pre Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Ah yes, the authoritarians love silencing people.

No surprise you are in support of this Kermit.

Sure. And there's plenty of information out there about what is happening in Ireland, and what is happening in Australia. And there's no reason why people in one place shouldn't refer to what is happening in the other.

But there's a big difference between telling us that defence forces personnel are assisting in lockdown implementation in Sydney, and telling us that "Sydney looks like big open air concentration camp". That's just something that Gral6 made up and, if he's going to make up stuff and post it like that, he must expect others to point out that he just made it up and has no clue what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to today's Indo, Anthony Staines is advocating for wearing masks until "well after Christmas" and thinks the only scenario in which would be unnecessary would be to bring viral transmission and case numbers down a lot.

Most of those people (adults and children) eligible for vaccination will be vaccinated by Hallowe'en. Therefore, the idea that we won't have herd immunity long before Christmas is absurd.

I know that it is up to people to ensure that they put all of their litter in the bin but Staines seems to be ignorant of the effect of the use of disposable masks on the environment. Public health is his remit but, as a scientist, it doesn't mean that he should ignore the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@political analyst wrote

the idea that we won't have herd immunity long before Christmas is absurd

Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Oh crap! I put my original post in the 'Australian response' thread by mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No new cases in Victoria today while WA will have 140,000 Pfizer vaccines to distribute in a couple of weeks. Window opening again here for 30 to 39 year olds 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The thing is you don't need to know the exact ins and outs of what's been going on Ireland to know it's had about 25-30 times more deaths, and 40-50 times more cases, per million than Australia. All with more restrictions on day to day life. The big black mark against Australia is the travel restrictions. Speaking to people in this thread, it sounds like it hasn't been much better for Ireland in practical terms. IE, travel is possible, but with quarantine and testing it's very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm in Greece now with my family. No problem to get here, just an Antigen test at the border and 5 minutes later I was clear to go. To get here, we transitted through Macedonia. No problems there apart from a reluctance to accept a soft copy of a Green Card. Before that we were in Serbia for a couple of weeks; we got in there using the free PCRs we got (sans RDV) in France. On the way between France and Serbia, we overnighted in Germany and transitted Slovenia and Croatia. Our PCR test results to get us into France were available 4 hours after the test. We have not had to do any quarantining on the journey. PLFs are required for some countries, but they take at most 10 mins per person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

That's all fairly recent though based on the vaccination rate in Europe though isn't it?

Advertisement