Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a step through bike?

Options
  • 02-08-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Should I buy a step through bike? The reason why I am asking is the stigma attached to it, "it is a girls bike".

This is something what I want to buy https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-1-equipped-lowstep/p/33541/?colorCode=black

The reasons why, if I am carrying something on the back and I swing my leg over I end up kicking everything and potentially knocking the items off the bike, or if I need to lean the bike to the side to get into it again what is on the back will fall off.

Another reason is, it is so much easier to get into it!

I wonder what people's opinion are? 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Get one and to hell with opinion. I wanted a trapeze frame (sort of between yours and a 'man's frame) for my current e-bike but there was a long delivery time on it so I got the standard 'men's frame'. Most days it's fine, I usually push off and use the pedal to swing my leg over, but I'd prefer the trapeze frame long term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buy the bike that suits you best. f* the begrudgers (not that i think there will be many)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,938 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’d buy that. Get what’s comfortable for you to ride. I wouldn’t care or even think about what anyone would say or think on the matter. That’s a lovely bike.

Is a pannier bag an option for the current bike, assuming your not using one already?

I'd agree with the others though, nothing wrong with a step through. As you say far easier for getting on and off and if it's going to mean you get more use of the bike go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yes I have a pannier bag on my current bike, I bought a nice bouquet of flowers recently put them in my pannier bag put my leg over and WHACK! RIP flowers 😁

Not I want a step through bike to save my flowers 😁 but I often had this issue with large items sticking out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've gotten used to folding bikes they are mostly all step through. It just handier at times.

If you look at people in Holland, a lot of all genders ride step through bikes. Its just seen as a normal practical bike.

Many of the commuting eBikes are the same, as are Rental bikes like Dublin bikes etc.

I wouldn't worry about it, I would just ride what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Islabikes have started making step through bikes the last few years with the idea that they’re more suitable for particular riders (both male and female).

I’ve no idea what they ride like but the quality of their kids bikes is fantastic. The third one on link below definitely looks ‘masculine’ in my view if that’s your concern.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/collections/icons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wear a kilt while cycling and people will stop asking why you don't swing your leg over the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They're a curse when you stop mid-ride though to check phone or take a pic as the bike falls over as there's no top bar to rest against your inside leg (speaking from riding a horrible one today).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 begorrah2

Nice looking bike - but it is for a woman - surely they make a version for a man - be different show you are a man - get a man's bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Oh yes, that is true, I didn't think of that. Would be rather embarrassing at the lights 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well, only a problem if you take your hands off the handlebars at the lights!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, you need to go for the leaning on the handlebars with your elbows while you use your phone approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Only a problem if you stop at lights...😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Be confident in your sexual identity. Get the bike that suits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

It doesn't look particularly like a woman's bike (whatever that might be). It just looks like a commuter bike, which is what it is. Get the bike, go cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Funnily enough, bikesnobnyc had a column on this exact subject very recently.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/bikes-and-biking/step-through-bicycles-stop-calling-girls-bikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I say go for a step though. But you there are options that have a lower cross bar that you cant really tell whether its ladies specific or not like this cool cannondale treadwell https://electric-biking.com/cannondale-treadwell-neo-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Honestly OP don't worry - lots of females have a "man's" bike with a crossbar and it doesn't matter a whit!

Advertisement