Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career ideas for burnt out accountant?

Options
  • 27-07-2021 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all .

I wonder if anyone has been at my stage of life and have successfully navigated out of it.

I am 43 year old male and havr worked as an accountant for past 20 years. I am utterly sick of it. I am working as a head of finance at present.

I have made the decision to take up a part time accounts role next january( 2 days per week) and take some time out to figure my next move. I have the job lined up already. I am financially debt free in january too(mortgage cleared).

I really would like a change from office based work but i am struggling to think of something new. I have done some teaching etc( grinds and tutoring) and did enjoy that alot. Would anyone know how incould get some part time teaching hours in a college? Volunteer some hours and build a reputation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Hi Brenno. Congrats on the career change. Regarding how you could proceed, you could talk to your local VEC, and see what they suggest. You could ask if you could be put on a panel for substitute teaching, though they might need you to have a HDip for that. No harm to double-check. If you check the local VEC website, you'd get an idea of the number of jobs they advertise, and what pre-requisites they look for. An alternative might be to approach a local school, and get chatting to them. Going for a HDip in Education might itself be a good next step; I'd imagine you'd get sufficient teaching experience through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,810 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sorry OP. Not trying to make light of your own predicament but I couldn't help be reminded of the below sketch. You might get a laugh out of it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

You might be able to get a start teaching evening/hobby courses. They are often ran by those in the industry with no formal teaching qualifications. Might be good to start here - https://www.nightcourses.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

god I could have written the opening post. Can I please ask how you had the courage to pack it in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

OP, consider teaching.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

god I could have written the opening post. Can I please ask how you had the courage to pack it in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bren no, you have made the decision, the world is your oyster.

Accountancy gives you so many options. Program management, operations, etc etc.

I started as a teacher became an accountant. Have had many varied jobs since. Most of which I loved and accountancy gave me the grounding to do them all.I understand the office environment is tiresome completely mind numbing.

congrats on choosing something else…just don’t limit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think the clue is in having the mortgage cleared.

Op, you should take the opportunity to explore different avenues in January to see what you like or dislike. It's not too late in your 40's to change careers and I know of someoone personally who did a degree in their early 40's and has a great job coming out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brenno1

Hey thanks all for the the replies and the funny video, i did get a laugh out of that.

Martin32, i guess i am lucky in the sense i have worked hard and am nearly debt free. I am kid-free too which means i can live on a modest salary for a while why i explore different options. I figure if I don't do it now i will never do and be a grumpy so and so for the rest of my life. And life is too short. It is scary giving up a good salary and pension but life is too short to be really unhappy. I swear if i hear the words Budget or Balance Sheet or Reconciliations for the next 25 years i will end up half mad!! Are you in a position to potentially jump ship?

So i will bite the bullet and hand in notice in January and then take some time trying to get some teaching hours(based on your responses). And maybe look at some other non accounting avenues too.

I know a lady who jumped shipped from a stressful corporate career to be a part time dog groomer and part time blogger!...she has never looked backed.

thanks brenno1, yes giving up the salary and pension is a very difficult part, especially since you made it to the Head of finance position.

Fair play, I'm inspired by your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Good luck with the adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,810 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, check out payment for teaching hours.

I have done some adjunct lecturing in the past. I did it for my own interest. Lets just say that you wouldn't want to be depending on the money!

Advertisement