Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy TV and which brand?

• 02-08-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Where is the best place to buy a TV (in city or county) and what brand would people recommend?

Comments

Personally I always go for LG or Sony. Stay away from the cheap horrible brands like Bush, Walker, JVC etc. They're all made by a Turkish company called vestel and are usually muck.

I bought my LG 4k TV in soundstore. It's been great for over 3 years now with zero issues.

But if I had the cash I'd definitely be going for a Sony or LG OLED TV..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Panasonic, which is regarded as a premium brand, outsource the manufacture of TV's to that Turkish company Vestel also. I wonder are Panasonic now equally mucky? Personally speaking, I think Samsung are superb. Currys on the Dublin Rd. has the best value and a wide range to choose from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just lower end Panasonic made by Vestel. Anything actually worth buying is still made by Pana themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look at richer sounds, they’re not in limerick but deliver. They also give a 6 year warranty.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-14-alltv.aspx#pgnum=&sort=

https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-15-oledtvs.aspx#pgnum=&sort=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I bought my own Philips 4K TV a few months back. Philips were doing a promotion at the time but the cheapest place I could find it was Expert.ie which have franchises around the place like Finuncanes and Sean Hennessy. Yet the cheapest I found was ordering online and it was delivered up from Cork on a van instead(free). I bought the TV with an ambilight feature 50" for €489.

I have a Samsung and had issues with HDCP on both the PS4/PS5 and the Sky Q box. Seemed a widely known issue that was never fixed so I don't think I'd go back there again. Sony is great but expensive, I have a 1080p Bravia and it has been a solid workhorse for a few years at this stage.

Richersounds, as mentioned, have good deals mostly but buying local in Limerick Sound and Vision wasn't an option for me. The range they had was limited and was not cheap. Finuncanes wouldn't match their own expert prices, Currys were out of stock and wouldn't allow store collection(25 delivery fee) and Harvey Norman were just hit and miss on both range and pricing.

Argos can be a good shout as well sometimes but you really need to know the model you want as obviously you cannot discuss or browse.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought a TCL tv from Harvey Norman a few months back for PS5 and Netflix. No regrets.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/tcl-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-smart-tv-55c715k.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

I used to sell TVs for a long while and agree with alot of the above have a Panasonic led myself over 5 years and love it but avoid the cheaper models.

If I was buying again I think I'd be going down the TCL route due to the decent panels and Android built in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Try Future Sound and Vision on* Upr William St near O'Neills Sports Store or Soundstore but my first choice would be FS&V.

*it's actually on Newtwon Mahon but the average Joe refers to it as Upr William St.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if Currys and Harvey Norman will take your old tv off you if you're buying a new one off them?

• Advertisement

They all will, it's required under WEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP can buy the same LG OLED tv as mentioned above for €50 cheaper with 6 year warranty instead of 5 from richersounds:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14028-lg-oled55cx5lb-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Check also what apps are available on whatever tv it is you're looking at too. I have a Panasonic which can do Netflix and Amazon, for example, but annoyingly isnt compatible for Disney or Now TV.

Advertisement