Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnautica

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, it does feel like you're moving fast, but experience of the first game and a relatively quick period to get over the initial lack of oxygen and speed, means it feels faster. But only time will tell.

Zero, I'm not there yet but I also could have gone off in a tangent too, so probably just a very well designed map. Again. Speaking of maps, it was good to actually get one! Makes moving about slightly easier. Won't work for depth, but good bearings all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Back to where I left off on my Series X game from dropping it on PS5 due to me being disgruntled about having to re-start to avail of the update on PS5. Much quicker this time getting the Sea Moth, which is the point I left off at. Picked up some more blueprints I had missed on first round too. Story opening up a bit now and really enjoying it. Was tempted to pick up Mass Effect but can't see myself dropping this anytime soon so Subnautica has saved me a purchase for the time being. Great game so far. I'm kind of regretting starting on survival mode though, gathering food and water supplies is getting a bit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another session of Below Zero last night and found absolutely nothing :pac: Need some silver for my next bunch of equipment and I'm not hitting the right spots but sure I'll come across it soon. It would actually annoy me if I had to stop looking for resources to go find food and drink instead.

A nice addition is every now and then you'll find some lumps of rock with 6-10 of a certain resource. I was lucky to have found 2 silver ones and have more silver than I need right now. Will be getting back to this again tomorrow night, need to have the headphones on imo and can't do that while working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone get this for the switch ? If so how is it on this platform vs a ps5 / series x

• Advertisement

So according to the save file, I've 18 hours played. It's good, especially under water, as expected. The on land bits take a while to get used to, but once you get the Snowfox it's grand, albeit I've no idea of where I be going at times. Spent a good 20 minutes last night trying to get back out of an area. Doesn't help that there's constant fog/snow storms rolling in making it very hard to keep track of where you are.

There appears to be 2 stories, the reason you're there and something else that happens soon after you start. Neither really gives good direction, and I've stumbled upon a few things by accident. I also somehow managed to avoid the "first" base until last night, so maybe other people will get parts there first and be far beyond me in terms of what's been done. Had to Google a few things, especially how to get Snow Stalker fur, I couldn't see anything point towards this being the only way to gather it, so I've either missed something or it really left it up to the player to figure out.

Overall, so far, it's good, but it's definitely not as good as the first. Going on land has taken away from the experience, and the underwater parts suffer as a result (smaller). There's excellent opportunities here though, and 4546B is a world I want to explore more of. They have said they will be making a "proper" sequel some day, but they're working on a different project right now. All I want is a proper mapping system! We can do all this mad stuff, but we can't make a map!

Went back to this finally and went off exploring. Found the Delta site and surprised to find a map of the whole area, definitely smaller than i thought would be. I have 2 beacons to follow and 2 spots on the map to reach but too deep for me so just made the rebreather, vehicle bay and sea glider. Nearly have the ingredients for the sea truck but i need a high capacity tank, that's my next goal.

Agree on the constant fog and snow storms. It's a beautiful world and most of the time, you just see a wall of white. Uber water is so much nicer to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I started this on switch and im

utterly lost . Any tips starting off ?

Just started this again as I needed more Subnautica after Below Zero and wanted to go back to the original. Turns out I never tried the PS5 version saves/trophies don't carry over. I had intended to just mess around and build a nice base but now I have to get the plat all over again, happy out! Damn I miss the 'pin recipe' function from BZ so much.

It's mad the stark difference starting now than my first 2 attempts. I found and made most tools in 10 minutes, 1/3 sea moth parts found and need some silver for the high tank. I did i made more progress on 10 minutes that i did in my first 2 hours originally and I'm hooked all over again.

• Advertisement

Forgot about a lot of the locations in this. Headed to the lost River and forgot how creepy that place was. Went looking for Kyanite but found none. Google reminded me i have to go deeper so my best step us the reinforced suit and cyclops, have all the blueprints, just need the parts.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Spoiler tags might not be a bad idea

Couldn't figure out how to add spoilers to an effort so just deleted what i found down there.

Kind of figured that was the reason. Gotta love the new Boards :)

It's a pain! Sometimes i go to post something and just don't bother. Definitely seeing less traffic, in games anyway, since the new site went active.

I pretty much only follow gaming threads here and definitely seems like there's much less traffic

Bollox, didn't realise how underprepared I was for 1200m. Gonna follow this guide for my next trek down. Hands down the best youtuber when it comes to Subnautica if anyone needs tips or resource locations.

Jumped in the Cyclops and headed for the Lava Zone for the Thermal Plant. I forgot how fast the batteries drain even using the minimum power. I took 2 spare and had 1 power cell recharger but not enough, I kept swapping them out and losing power. Got to the Thermal plant and forgot I needed 2 purple tablets, only had 1, so back to the sub and scrambled to make new supplies while juggling just 200 power from my 2 good batteries. Awful headache so I am going to reload my save back to my base (I didn't make a saves since on purpose in case this happened. Pity you can't make multiple save files). Gonna make way more power cells and rechargers.

Also, while you're down there, don't forget those little bastards that stick to your Cyclops and drain the power!

I'm just finished my business down there, about to head back up. My God, that video made it so much easier than my previous attempt or playthrough. I got lucky with those power suckers as well, rarely had to go outside to get rid.

Tempted to leave my Cyclops at the bottom of the ocean and warp back to the surface with my prawn but i have a lot of precious resources stored there. Gonna Google a list of items needed for the rocket to make sure i don't have to come back down here, do a bit of mining and head back up. Build an aquarium for my cuddlefish egg and get to building my rocket.

Done, 2nd platinum in the bag, damn i love this game so much.

Still an emotional gut punch to leave behind my base, seamoth, Cyclops and of course little Cuddy. I feel like the Neptune parts requirement were nerfed, felt like I had most parts already without trying, except for copper. Maybe i was just better prepared than last time.

Ha, as you're leaving the planet, you can see giant glaciers, nice Little nod to Below Zero i imagine.

• Advertisement

They said they're taking a break from the world of Subnautica to work on a new unannounced IP. Checking their site, one of the Preferences for a job listing is:

• Experience with optimizing art for mobile and/or console

Not a good sign imo... But, Subnautica was so good, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They will return to it, but you won't get any more Subnautica goodness outside of the original and BZ for a while. Unless you have it on PC. Then mods. Mod the crap out of it! I'd love to try the VR mode.

Getting the Subnautica itch again but only played through Below Zero once so want to try it again but it hasn't dropped price much. Was hoping i could find it cheap somewhere even i came across this blog from the devs 2 weeks ago. Below Zero 2.0 and Subnautica 2.0 patches being worked on to modernise the code and fix bugs so they will have a clean base to add new features and fixes in future. One thing comes to mind is the ability to pin recipes to the screen in Sub 1. Interesting though that they are undertaking such work instead of concentrating on a new game. Will def keep an eye out for below zero on the cheap to play through when 2.0 releases.

I'm just at the end of my first PS5 playthrough of Subnautica when I read that late last night. Great excuse to go back and play it again. Like yourself, only played Below Zero once (and never finished it, seems I stopped on some land section). So I was going to go into BZ but might wait for this update and start all over again! Hopefully it's just a sign of doubling down on the world of Subnautica and giving an even base for everyone across the series. I've no doubt there will be a Subnautica 2 (3?), and I will be day 1.

Hell, make Subnautica one big world and each "new" part is a different area of the planet! So rather than 2, 3, 4, etc, just have different areas.

Oh man, new update for Subnautica dropped today with 800 bug fixes, qol additions like pinned recipes and new buildable items previously only found in Below Zero. I just c recently played through BZ again and it just felt shallow, literally. The 2nd playthrough didn't hold up, not enough cool places to visit. Cannot wait to try the new update for Subnautica! Between this and Witcher 3 update, didn't think 2 old games would be on my Christmas playlist.

For anyone looking to experience this game again with fresh eyes, i highly recommended this. She just finished an excellent Outer Wilds playthrough, I'm not big into let's plays but she's one of the better ones.

She's playing on survivor as she thinks she has to play on default setting but watching her scavenge for food reiterates my thoughts that that survival mechanic just takes away from the good stuff (scavenging and progressing the story).

Anyway, worth the watch for Subnautica goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I recently returned to this a little bit and imo there seems to have been an immense performance uplift, feels like a much better playing game now.

Also I think zero's post is supposed to have a youtube link or something but I can't see it.

Crap, my bad, can't edit my post but here it is. She's on 3 episodes now. It's rare a game can be this good to watch someone else collecting resources and still be this interesting.

Advertisement