Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

Ah stop the lights.🤣 Childish bombasity at its finest. The arrogance off this post is simply astounding. Throwing a tantrum basically because people are refusing to agree to your viewpoint and then you have the utter brazen cheek to speak of lowering yourself to levels 🤣 I've absolutely no problem with anyone presenting an alternative viewpoint whatsoever, but the nasty cutting tone in which you are replying to some of the posters here for years now has been nothing short of disgraceful. And then you speak of sinking to levels?? You were happy enough to have a personal cut at Liam Cahill not so long ago if I recall.

As for your reply, you're just literally regurgitating Sheedy's comments which to be fair his natural reaction post-match will be to praise and defend the team which is fair enough 😂 No one was actually questioning the application of the team, we were questioning whether we would have the legs for what we would be up against this summer. Making up stuff about Mark Kehoe....er no not really. a couple of people I've spoken to that are informed on what's going on within the camp have said he was going very well and that is evident in his many cameos this season where he has made impact. And what data specifically are Sheedy and the lads referring to??? Shooting?? Passing?? Tackling, KM covered?? we all know for example that Noel is accurate, but he was blocked down on a few occasions yesterday as was Jason Forde. This was the difference. That extra second isn't there anymore.

Anthony Daly, Jackie Tyrell, Tommy Walsh, Henry Shefflin, Nicky English, Enda McEvoy, Shane Stapleton, Shane Brophy to name a few, have all suggested that Tipperary is in need of a refresh in tactics and starting personnel. That's not to say the old guard cant play a part, they just can't play as big a part. They just needed to be used more wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Those comments are not post match - they're around the league I think.

A refresh in tactics and personnell, wow they must be geniuses... holy crap, I've never heard that before. Wouldn't be the same thing everyone says every year about every team that are not the champions, would it? New tactics and personnel - jesus christ,

i think the top of my head just blew off.

What insights...

I need to lie down.

Post edited by seligehgit on

FWIW i wouldnt have taken Seamie off yesterday. he scored two beauties and was a threat even if Waterford's full back got to grips with him better. I don't think its an area we were particularly weak in. I think Brendan could have done a job for 20 mins or so, but i don't think he's a starter and the same with Noel. Noel is a genius and a gifted player, but I'm not sure he has the legs for midfield anymore (or at least not 70 minutes). Things didn't go for Jake yesterday, but McNulty stuck to him like glue. He could have possibly been switched?

Well its clear that the team needs to be re-energised. if you don't know what they are referring to then I suggest you do lie down.

I'm not against chance. I'm not against young players. I'm against expecting too much of young players and throwing them in without being prepared and harming their development.

That management team has seen it all and developed players at most levels. Look at what Egan has been involved with Kiladangan and how they've changed their structures and changed the culture of a club to county champions. If those players were ready, they'd have been in. Tipp are in transition and throwing people in to try and get them experience is counterproductive when they're not ready.

Sheedy went with a team for the trophies. I wouldn't have it any other way. If you played those young lads you wouldn't have improved Tipp's chances or gained anything for those young lads.

They got a taste in the league and some of them in the championship. And they came away feeling I should have played, not that I got beaten. Confidence intact. There's thinking behind this. You don't flog the good china - you take it out when it matters. These boys are the future and not to be just used willy nilly. They're not ready. They're being developed in the right manner. Not what's best for Liam Sheedy or Dunne or anyone, it's what's best for Tipp. Those young lads, and over ten of them, just spent two to three years with some of the best players we've had in Tipp in a long time. It will stand to them and they'll be spending a bit more time with some of them yet. There's knowledge and experience there to be passed on. There's a right and a wrong way of doing things.

Oh someone got blocked down? Did they? A lot of people on both sides got blocked down. Away to bed.

• Advertisement

No one would expect a group of youngsters to win the All-ireland. you will only learn from being out there on that field. Brendan and Paidi started in the 2009 final for example. Paudie marked Shefflin. You can't wrap players up in cotton wool. The longer you keep them out of the team, the more you hamper their development. Players want to play. They get fed up if they dont

You say Sheedy went for trophies? There is not a hope we were going to win a trophy this year and that's no disrespect to the team. They just hadn't the legs for it.

And yes, Waterford overall block and tackle count was higher yesterday. Again, this was not a lack of effort on Tipps part, they just got around the pitch quicker

There is nobody of the calibre of Paudie in this group of young talent. That's a fact. Paudie took the jersey and nobody could take it off him and still can't.

Of course, he went for trophies. There's a big difference between going for trophies and not being able to win them.

Nobody is wrapping anybody up. You just don't get it. They're not ready. The most that can be got from them without jeopardising their development has been got. They'll be in a much better spot to take off now. They've been part of a panel that won an all-Ireland - got onto the field during it, and tasted defeat without blame. Perfect set up to take off. Anybody talking about the young lads development as delayed is off their heads, rage posting because Tipp lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

I am a member of premier view and there is a poster over there who is making a lot of sense regards how tipp fans rate this tipp team

they are making the point about tipp and the results of the last 5 years, it has got me thinking about what is real and what i believe is real

to Paraphrase

omit 2019 and 2017 2018 2020 2021 read very poorly.

2017 beaten in semi but poor all championship

2018 blow out

2020 beaten in quarters

2021 beaten in quarters

since 2016 this tipp team have been in actual decline and 2019 was the exception not the rule,

I think the above needs to be taken seriously by all tipp hurling fans - I am worried they are right

Leave out the years they won the all ireland. embarrassing.

This is symptomatic of the attitude of some Tipp supporters right now.

Stapleton on his YouTube show today, after eating Sheedy alive for not using the younger players - and comparing them to waterford's younger players, who are in their mid-twenties and much more experienced - he goes on about the players not used:

Quirke had a heart issue for a year and when he came on in games this year he looked jittery but he definitely has the talent. (He said that. Blind to how Sheedy can't control either of those things but he still gave Quirke time)

Bryan O'mara broke his arm but he definitely has it. (He's injured!!!)

Robert Byrne - should be at centre back - (he got sent off in the league and he is expected to be trusted in the white heat of championship? Ready, is he?)

Then he says Jerome Cahill is no longer on the panel and he was a key man a number of years ago. yeah, on an underage team. (No longer on the panel!!!! The chap is stick thin and didn't stand out with Kilruane last year nevermind Tipp - Cahill knows it himself he has work to do, that's more than likely why he opted it off.)

Then he goes Ger browne isn't currently part of the panel!!! (Ger Browne didn't have a club for most of the year! Does sheedy get the blame for that too?)

And then Stapleton goes there's a lot of talent there. Yeah and for a lot of reasons they weren't there, couldn't be there or aren't ready.

Sheedy hands were tied with most of that! Poor chap that Stapleton is, talking himself in circles.

Someone Stapleton didn't mention Cian Darcy, on the panel, let's have a look at a michael veryney report, his partner on the show, on a club game against loughmore in 2020:

''Six wides from Tipp panellist Cian Darcy in the opening half – four from placed balls – severely halted their gallop as the evergreen Evan Sweeney proved the match-winner at the other end firing 2-3 from play in a virtuoso attacking performance.''

Verney goes on to write of Noel McGrath: ''Noel McGrath, outstanding from start to finish along with siblings John and Brian, followed it up with an inspirational score from distance and despite being outplayed in many sectors, they led 1-7 to 0-6 at the break''

And Brian's club form has been rewarded by Sheedy with more and more game time. He is improving and getting there.

Stapleton bangs on and on about pace but then he says he'd play Ronan Maher at full back (completely ignoring the young full back on the squad who has marked all and sundry on the way to winning the county final- Quigley - it's his first year on the panel and I'm sure he'll be all the better for it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 challengerbell

Been reading these forums for a long long time. To the victor the spoils it seems. We posted a huge score, left it behind us. I would say we lost that game more than Waterford won it, but they deserved it more than us. The talent is there, just need a refresh.

Do I think Sheedys time is up, yes. And I hope Cahill is the one to replace him. But I would not be as doomsday as many here looking back on Sundays performance. It was a bad day and a mixture of things not one single thing. I would lay the reason for the loss across the backroom, poor shot selection and on more poor refereeing. Any 1 of those 3 things goes our way and we win the game.

We looked undercooked and sloppy on Saturday and it wasnt just the older guys, it was across the board, young and old. The team were not at their peak and that goes on the backroom team. As many handling errors as I have seen in nearly the last 3 years condensed into 1 game. We handed Waterford 1-4 in the first half from sloppiness and lack of sharpness. Not even from manic pressure, just sloppiness. There was another 1-2 at the end after the game was lost. We also took low % shots at crucial times with time and space when Waterford looked to have lost that yard of speed in the late stages. The referee handed them 1-1 in the 2nd half plus a clear foul by the sideline that he didnt give us. We were 2 down into injury time after that penalty call so it did impact the course of the game but ultimately it was the scores we handed Waterford that irked me the most.

Though they may not have 70 still in them it is clear Callinan and McGrath still have something to give. McGrath is a step up in form away from being still there or there abouts as the best on the team. Paudie and Brendan Maher probably closer to his end. Bonner Maher was apparently leading in fitness and speed tests in training. No reason he does not have another big season in him. These guys may have to take a back seat but their experience is needed to transition now.

I will say that bar the Clare penalty, refereeing decisions over Sheedys 3 years have not gone our way. Wexford were practically handed 10 points from poor decisions. Barretts red non red in 2020 v Galway going against us, Gillane and Flanagan non red reds in the Munster final, the penalty call yesterday. All game defining decisions. Add to that in the past years, the 2014 League Final, the abuse Callinan got in the 2015 semi final and no red to Galway, the penalty in 2009, Tyrrell on Callinan in 2009 and even Tommy Walsh in the 2011 final opening the refs nose while trying to strike a Tipp player. We've nearly come to accept it at this stage.

Next year I want to see Kehoe, Caddell and Brian McGrath make the step up. Connolly looks a great prospect and Ger Browne to come back in. Someone mentioned he was on the bench for Cashel last weekend but correct me if I am wrong, I believe that was a game against Knockavilla, so completely understandable. Ryan O'Dwyer spoke very highly of him last week.

It will not take long to revive this team, 3 or so changes. The game was lost not on speed, but sharpness. The tools were there to kill Waterford, we just didnt use them. Think about it, nearly a Waterford performance for the ages and they still couldnt shake us at our worst.

Next year we could put out a team with Kehoe, Browne, Brian McGrath coming in to join Caddell and Morris. John McGraths is a form issue, solvable. Bubbles still has 1 to 2 big years in him. Breen, Flynn, McCormack, Heffernan, Ronan Maher still improving. Barrett showing no sign of slowing down. There is so much there to be positive about. Christ, Callinan could have come away with 3 goals and on top of that who knows what else if he had been fed proper ball and this with no pre-season!

The ball hasnt bounced our way these last 2 years. And still only a puck of the ball away both years.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

I don't think anyone is predicting doomsday, but I think there is universal agreement that the team needs freshening up and bewilderment by the vast majority of Tipperary supporters and across the hurling world also, that it didn't happen.

Good observations throughout your post though that I wouldn't disagree with at all. Next year I think we'll be very similar to Kilkenny were in 2017 and having to blood many players at once. it could be messy for a bit, but we will have to stick with it.

Yes arguably we could have won Saturday, but as someone on this topic conveniently shapeshifted last week on another topic ''if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle''. No point focusing on what could have happened. Would we have deserved it?? I don't think so. I would have taken it gladly as I did when we beat Wexford in 19 having been the better team for 20 mins of the game and second fiddle for the other 50 (we were shafted by some awful officiating that day)

How are the Tipp players on the panel who won underage in 18 & 19, not ready??? And yet the Cork starting line-up, who we beat in both finals are dotted with underage players? Would our first 15 have beaten Cork this year??? I honestly don't think we were going past the quarters no matter who we got although I would have preferred Cork over Waterford as the Decie appear to have extra physicality

The AMAZING FIRST question you've asked there. And yet it's been answered about ten times in the past few days alone. Head stuck in the sand.

And Still no evidence of player's performing, of ignored performances. Just negativity.

Using math that doesn't add up - they have players why don't we have players - without understanding the different life cycle of each squad. And no evidence again.

The negativity of the last statement.

Actually, you've made no points that have any evidence to back up anything. It all adds up to whinging about losing.

Imagine supporting a game that you've no knowledge about. Crazy bit of stuff.

Mod Warning: This is a discussion thread.You are not the purveyor of all knowledge on this subject matter in spite of your insistence to the contrary.Other posters are entitled to hold opposing opinions without your speaking down to them with an extremely uncivil and confrontative posting style.I have edited/deleted a number of your posts.Please post in a civil manner going forward.Any issues you have in relation to this warning can be brought by means of a PM.

You warn me for this!

And yet like a post that contains this: "Childish bombasity at its finest. The arrogance off this post is simply astounding."

Is that enaging with a post? Is that attacking the poster? Is that using evidence and discussion?

The double standards are off the charts.

And if you actually engaged with the thread and appeared sooner none of this would have developed.

You also warned me for asking a straight forward question. I asked someone if they followed the club scene - some people just follow inter county - a straightforward question, and I'm warned for that.

All knowing, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Priceless comments on a game where Tipp got 12 frees to Waterfords 2- the penalty being the only free Waterford got in the Tipp half in 75 minutes of play. And while we're talking about never getting a decision off a ref you seem to have forgotten the Ghost goal but then again that doesn't suit the narrative you're trying to painy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Looks like you’re wrong again. Sheedy and the team were gonna lick their wounds and come back with a plan for Waterford supposedly!

for all you confrontational posts, you hadn’t any suggestions regarding what sheedy could do differently or going into the Waterford game.

whether anyone likes it or not there’s a few great players who are well past their prime and need replacing.I wouldn’t write off the current management. They’ve delivered on multiple occasions. Though you’d wonder would they have the appetite for what appears a bit of a rebuild.

bizarrely enough it was a game we could’ve won despite being second best. The cats have come back from a right hammering against us in 2019 to become second favourites this year.

biggest concern is the lack of some of the new players stepping up. Have we any ‘star men’ coming through since Jason forde?

cant really see Cahill returning after being basically jilted at the alter a few years ago. Though I can’t imagine there’s many potential managers with more knowledge of the potential players.

On our day we’d put it up to most sides bar limerick.

I'm glad you enjoyed Tipp being knocked out so you could be right about what exactly? That I was wrong?

I posted on team selection and tactics in the lead up to Waterford game multiple times. But sure why let that get in the way of wanting to believe your right!

Well, the negativity wins again. At least I have other sites and forums where my knowledge is welcomed. You'll be glad to know I'll stick to them.

Best of luck with "supporting" Tipperary. There's a few of you here that really seem to enjoy it and are really knowledgeable 🤣 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

strange how we ended up removing Morris from the game when a carbon copy on the waterford side in Prendergast had such an impact on their game running from deep, Jake left to flounder inside with Seamie when he would revel in that role, Noel is a legend and a magician but if u can't defend against the runner or threaten going the other way by going past your man then it's hard to justify why u would play a deep role in the middle 3rd v waterford...or limerick for that matter (who would have been the team to beat in a potential final), pinging balls 90 yards to tightly marked forwards turning into a sweeper was a terrible percentage ball as well as being predictable, we had a spoiler in Alan Flynn on the ball way too often in the middle 3rd when we actually won possession then. Interesting input from Ken hogan on Dalo podcast, First team being beaten by the B team in training, Mark kehoe fired his hurley into the ground after the final whistle, I can imagine his frustration having the form, pace & skills to take on Waterford backs and only getting 20 mins to do it..

We all want tipp to win.

we all have different ideas about tipp hurling and that’s the fun of it

tipp lost Saturday, we are all pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning:

A poster was warned re his/her posting style.

That should be the end of the matter and does not mean it is open season to attack that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I think we'll see more of Alan Tynan next year, he's got pace, strength and is very direct. This year was probably too early but we'll have some club games coming up to see how far he's improved.

You're right. Hopefully, Tynan will turn out to be a Dessie Hutchinson type. A tall order, but he has the speed, anyway. And maybe the Billy McCarthy investment might work out too and he can get back to play for Tipp again, another direct runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Billy McCarthy has been a huge loss to Tipp. A player who looked to have everything we needed in the forward line, strong, ball winning with speed and directness.

Similarly Ger Browne in his cameos in 2019 looked to offer exceptional speed and directness from midfield, again a trait we often lack.

Reading the Examiner today and when you look at the raw numbers; Callinan making his debut in 2008, Paidi and Brendan 2009, Noel I can't remember but I think it was 2009, Bonner too. I think you'll trawl a lot of counties to find players that long at the highest level, they're absolute superstars of the game.

In their time with Tipp first Kilkenny were the biggest dragons to slay, and we got there; now the dynamic has shifted, Galway had their spell as the team to beat but Limerick are bringing it to a whole new level.

On a related note, the skill level in hurling has exploded in the last few years. Watching Cork and Limerick in the U20 the scoring was unreal, the quality of the ball striking right through. Players shooting points off either side from 70 yards out on either wing. While Tipp were poor in the minor against Waterford again overall in that game the ball striking and scoring was unreal. It's quite funny the contrast with football, where players look afraid to kick for points from 35 yards, nowadays in hurling scoring from all sorts of distances is the norm.

I believe we have the players, current and future to be at the top again, the big job is with the county board to ensure we have the best team possible to make it happen. Remember losing the strength and conditioning coach after 2016? The right team to maximise our resources is vital, that's the challenge for the county board.

Cahill says he is available

I think he deserves his shot but I would also would not have been averse to sheedy staying on if he had not been so conservative this year.

no matter how you cook it, if you acknowledge Limerick are above everyone and have at least 5 years of complete domination ahead , and what tipp have available to work with is not going to match that, then what is the best 5 year plan for tipp hurling?

I personally think tipp need to select a manager for a 5 year period and I personally think Cahill is the man but regardless of who it is , sheedy, dunne, Egan give them a 5 year term.

3 years won’t be enough to transition our panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Don’t think his stock improved after yesterday, his team went out and tried to batter a limerick team for twenty mins ( a futile ,energy wasting exercise against limerick of all teams) . When they hit the sidelines with ball and made it one on one they got joy and made some limerick backs look ordinary enough

I disagree. The blahs had some very poor wides. Could have been closer , Still thought Limerick were the better team though

I will say Liam Cahill was very honest in his interview after, unlike Sheddy interview after Waterford game. Sheedy was so dishonest it was sad to see it.

but Sheedys behaviour on the sideline all year was strange, the Limerick game him and O’Shea were Davy Fitzgerald like, at half time I was laughing at their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 challengerbell

We got probably the slightly better refereeing decisions in the first half, I will say that, but show me where Waterford were not awarded multiple decisions in the 2nd half and I will concede. We didnt lay a hand on them and that was half our problem. You can't win frees when youre not fouled.

Nobody would argue the ghost goal was a good decision but it had no bearing on the final championship for either team. After that draw, Waterford had 2 chances to win matches that they would have had to win only 1 of anyway to progress and they didnt. Both were in no form to win anything in 2018. The examples I gave were from Munster finals, All Ireland Quarter finals, All Ireland Semi Finals, League Finals and All Ireland Finals not round 2 of round robin Munster where both teams finished 4th and 5th. We could list every bad decision and god knows there are a lot, but a notable few occur in big games at big times and we have taken more than our fare share against us.

On a general note; I dont know what people expect Cahill to get out of Waterford? He has gotten about as much as he could. I dont think his stock has fallen at all and I can see him doing a fine job with this Tipp team.

Waterfords camp was in a bad bad way after 2019 and the click that Derek McGrath created did them no favours. It basically cost Paraic Fanning his job before he ever set foot in inside the door. Players seeing themselves as undroppable. Attitude all wrong. This is a team that has not won a Munster championship since 2010. They were 5th in Munster in 2018 and 5th in 2019. They have taken some really heavy beatings at the hands of ourselves, Limerick and Cork over the last 10 years, even the last 4 years. He has steadied the ship, tempered the egos and restored pride to them. Theya re also playing a much better brand of hurling. A Munster final, All Ireland final and All Ireland semi final over 2 seasons is a great achievement with that teams ability and the injuries and other missing players they have had. i think he is still by far and away the best option for the Tipp role.

Advertisement