Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Agree those investment figures for Irish sport don't make for great reading. It's even more dismal for the UK when you consider the amounts they splash out on achieving Olympic glory which suggests they're even more remiss when it comes to grassroots funding.

As for other countries, I'm pretty sure when it comes to the Olympics, the US don't give athletes much federal funding at all. I remember when Billy Walsh went over to take on the boxing job, he had a fair task trying to hold on to a couple of his high profile athletes who were a bit cheesed off due to having no money. Not certain but i think they are basically registered charities and have to generate most of the funding themselves. I don't think our own elite athletes do too badly in comparison but it's always the way that no matter how much money is handed out, people will think it should always be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A lot of the US athletes are funded through college scholarships and can avail of the incredible facilities those colleges have

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Not to mention other sponsored academies e.g. Nike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,820 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be pointed out that GB pump £25m a year into rowing and performed abysmally at these Games. It's not purely about throwing money at sports and thinking alone will win you medals - it's all about centres of excellence, top class coaches, high performance units, decent facilities.

We definitely seem to be improving in this regard anyway. We've heard that Rhys had excellent facilities and coaching available to him in Dublin for example, ditto with the women's hockey team and the boxers.

I honestly dont know. Buts something that seems to get a decent amount of mention especially with athletics, swimming and gymnastics

Probably somewhere around less than 10% i would imagine but that's just my guess. Anyway, my only point really was that different countries approach elite funding in different ways. In the US you're grand if you're elite or already a successful pro like nba etc, but it can be a struggle if you're at a lower level. Just like anywhere. I remember seeing a feature on the boxing team and they seemed to be pretty much roughing it over in Colorado or somewhere. I think people imagine they must be swimming in dosh, but i don't believe that's always the case.

The facilities at Abbottstown are absolutely first rate. I bet a lot of the older athletes look around the place and wonder if only I had this when I was competing! It's one part of the jigsaw anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Speaking of embarrassments... I've just read some of this fella's "poetry" on the creative writing board. We'd better hope he's not from Ireland because if he is, and it gets out we'd have a real national embarrassment on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,144 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Probably our last real medal hope at 04:30 tomorrow when Kellie Harrington boxes in the QF to try win at least a bronze at 60 kgs..She should have too much for her opponent. Caroline Dubois could await in the semis. Ireland v England!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You're spot on.

We can throw 200m at something for all we like but unless you have the facilities, coaching and proper centres than very little will change.

I will also add we need those in charge to have the very best interests for all athletes and not bring politics into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean 200m could well pay for top class facilities and provide salary for a top level coach. Facilities and that cost a lot of money but it is partially one time costs. We do seem to be slowly increasing our facilities from Abbots Town, the national aquatic center etc. but that will take time. Especially across a wave of sports.

I have also seen that the smaller an organisation the worse the politics can get within it and Irish sports organisations are definitely not immune to it.

In other news Lilly King becomes the second US swimmer to take aim at the Russians for doping. It is a tough one when a full country has a sponsored doping program. On the other. Did they also dope the tennis stars etc, should they punished for the actions of others or? It doesn't help that the US had a relatively poor time in the pool by their lofty standards so it sounds a little like sour grapes (even if it wasn't the Russians beating them most of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,820 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think top class coaching and strong back up teams and facilities is a key one. Simply flinging a blank cheque at a sport won't win you medals. Possibly GB in rowing have taken their eye off the ball and thought (or the media anyway) that the £25m a year would be more than enough to win a load of medals in Tokyo, but they've discovered it's not just about funding.

Guys, facilities and all that cost big money. So throwing big money is what it takes to put all the resources into action. Been saying it years, biggest performance enhancer is not pharmacy products, it’s raw hard cash!!!

Of course, you always need the actual talent and athletes to select from.

Unfortunately, for us, GAA has so much a grip on so many, that it’s difficult to get that talent to sprout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If it wasn’t for the GAA we would have similar medal tally as China

Coaching is huge. Definitely. Rembemer Paul Hession saying in an interview after London that he hadn't left Ireland because of a lack of facilities, it was down to coaching. Looks like we might have an Olympic gold winning coach in John Coghlan but are there many of that calibre actually within the Irish system? Don't know or hear about that many tbh.

You joke but I wouldn't put it past Kyle Hayes to beat the field for that 100m final yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,116 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Maybe you should write another sh*te poem about it.

• Advertisement

Yes, he was very stupid to do that..

And of course, in this snowflake “how dare anyone question or criticise anyone” world, nobody saying it. Other than Kenneth Egan, in a roundabout way..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So, I guess the question is, do we throw millions at a few elite people, or at a wider base in terms of better facilities and coaching, a sport for all approach? Is judging how we spend money and support sports best measured every 4 years in Olympic medals?

Maybe it's not a discussion for Olympic week, and I enjoy the 2 week orgy of obscure sport on tv, but pegging millions into hugely corrupt organisations like the greater Olympic Family or organisations has moral and ethical questions around it IMHO.

How would we decide which which sports get to be the elite few is my issue.

Just from a purely personal position I can't stand golf or any horse stuff and would even have issues about prioritizing a sport like rowing that has serious issues with snobbery in some places still.

Ide rather just give everyone a chance and enjoy the orgy whether we win or not as long as we don't go back to the 70s standards of winning nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

You strike me as a lad who settles for 5th or 6th best ? A lad happy to throw it into a 14 stone beast every other Saturday and be happy with his lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

With regards to Aidan Walsh, from a national point of view, he has a medal, and there was a strong possibility bronze was going to remain the colour.

Personally one of the biggest letdowns for me were the hockey. They were never going to medal but after the great start they made should have got to the quarters. I also find they are an overly hyped team with RTE and the media in general. Probably because they are an all female team 20:20 etc. Possibly because they come from the elite north and south. That's just personal...bias!

Sanita was disappointing from a couch potato view. She's a double world champion and 3rd time Olympian. From a cold factual point of view she didn't perform. From a semi decent human being point of view I couldn't remotely understand the pressure. Fellas like O'Donovan and Walsh are so rare in how they cope. On my own sporting endeavours, which are miniscule in comparison, have I let pressure get the better of me in the past to the extent I didn't perform, yes too many times.

Annalise Murphy owes herself or us nothing. The lads did well in the golf. That's just a 4 day lottery re. form etc. Rhys will recover. Surely everyone should be allowed two gos and take their best sore. Carl Lewis might have won one out of four Olympic long jump golds under that gymnastics system.

Most of our athletes, like Phil Healy, have PBs well below final standard, sometimes semi. They reach the qualifying standard and earn their place. If they suddenly jumped into medal contention we'd have a fair idea what was at play.

Overall I'm happy, maybe one medal down on expectation so far. But that's life all these medals counted beforehand were in the bush, we have 3 in the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a refreshingly realistic post.

Fair play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In the 5 Olympics between 1988 and 2004 we won a grand total of 3 medals. Between 1960 and 1976 we won 1.

We should be aiming for a couple of Gold every Olympics and 5-7 medals but we are improving since 2008 and that has be welcomed too. Hopefully in Paris we finally see fruits of a generation thet are now aiming higher.

Swimming and Athletics should be highly improved in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Thanks Heidi. I shouldn't be wasting my time rising to others as I think I'm a middling decent human being when I retain my composure!!

That's the perpetual question. I think the obvious and easy answer is you do both and it's a question of what balance you want to find between them. Sport has so many ancillary benefits in terms of health, developing kids, keeping them off the streets etc that the wisdom of investing more in it should be clear to everybody but it's not a handy vote winner for the elected so its usually the low hanging fruit when it comes to making cuts. The sheer myopia is infuriating but will it ever change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Russians only won 5 medals in total in swimming. She points at Russia but she means Australia who won 9 Golds and GB who won 4.

Advertisement