Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

You, as always, avoid the question.

You say you are just interested in the case, like us all, yet you take hours out of your day to counter every post.

I'm just asking why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I would ask you why you are so curious, but that would be continuing to derail the thread and going after the poster rather than the posts. I don’t owe you any personal answers or insights, I don’t want to have to report replies accusing me of avoiding these inappropriate questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

I can't see how the "scratches" on his hands is damaging to him though... If he wore ungloved hands to murder her then there would have to be DNA of his on her and/or have left blood/DNA/fingerprints on the briars/breezeblock/gate.

The complete lack of fingerprints, DNA and blood are heavily indicative of the killer wearing gloves (even more likely due to the weather), so Bailey's scratches (if they exist at all) are really not evidential in any way that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

Did the post mortem confirm whether Sophie was pregnant? I had heard this before but am not sure if it is true or not? I think the only source is her husband Daniel? Surely her family would have mentioned this over the years if it was true? Strange that th media wouldn't pick up on this angle also?

If someone was wearing woolen gloves and a woolen jumper they would still get badly scratched while leaving no fingerprints and it’s likely little to no DNA either as the material would also wipe the thorns as they exited.

• Advertisement

Evidence was taken from the scene, bloodstained clothes and a possible weapon/axe. These would have to be disposed of quickly and the inlet either side of the road at that bridge would be a good spot.

ah buddy come on!

the implication then is that she would have (as would the briars) plenty of unidentified woolen fibres; which, if maintained as evidence, would likely hold trace DNA to the wearer/killer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If the murderer had hours before daylight and it would be expected for Sophie to be found they could be half way up the country, there would be no need to panic about disposing of evidence quickly. It would make more sense to dispose of them separately, far away from eachother and far away from the crime scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Would Sophie have put boots on just to open the door to someone, or only if she knew she was going to walk out to someone/something? Did the door close and lock itself behind her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Deeec

You only seem interested in anything that points to Ian Bailey being gullty and seem to spend alot of time working to prove this. You ignore any other evidence that is the opposite to your beliefs or you havent explored any other theories. I think your views would be more respected if you stopped and thought about the lack of evidence there is against Bailey and stopped focusing on very weak questionnable evidence of Baileys guilt. You dont seem to want to hear anything said about a Gardai coverup/corruption and seem to think MF is a star witness.

Genuine question for you - Please can you explain to me why you have mentioned a few times Baileys attendance at the party of the night of 21st/22nd Dec ( 24 hours before the murder). What significance does this have?

• Advertisement

Sophie was wearing cotton nightclothes and a bathrobe when she ran through the briars, there’s no mention of any fibers from these being found and no material is seen caught on any of the briars, just the barbed wire. I’m not sure lumps of woolen gloves would come off, the way they are woven.

In any case, there’s only two items we know the killer touched that were left at the scene, the stone and the concrete block. Neither would preserve fingerprints and there was no human tissue from the killer that could be detected with 1996 technology. Gloves may not be necessary.

There was no mention of pregnancy other than mentioned by her husband. He only mentioned this at a later date to a french reporter. Its not clear if he had communicated this to the gardai at the time - you would think it would have been important to mention this.

Given that it was rumoured their marraige was over I think pregnancy is unlikely. I think the husband could have conveniently mentioned this to make it seem that ' they were so in love and happy'. You would also think pregnancy would have been confirmed in a post mortem. If she was pregnant it could be significant to the investigation. ( ie. could be a reason to murder her ).

I've gone through this several times now, Ian was at the party on the Saturday night, he says himself he left during the night and went back to the house. He slept on the couch. Someone in the house gave him a lift home the next day. One of the people was awake early because they had to work and they said they heard the front door being opened around 7am. In his questionnaire Ian said he was in bed at home all night Saturday and Sunday, when in fact he wasn't at home at all Saturday night and left the house in the middle of the night Sunday.

Why is this important? Because the man MF said she saw in the long black coat was seen in three places:

1. Hitching a lift towards Schull at the same spot Ian had stayed, without a car, on that Sunday morning. One witness said he heard the front door opening at 7am and MF says she saw the man in the long black coat hitching around 7.30am. Neither MF or the gardai knew Ian was at that location when MF made her statements and Ian 'forgot' to tell them anything about it.

2 Outside her shop while Sophie was browsing clothes inside on the Saturday. Another witness bumped into Sophie as she was coming out of the Spar and said she saw Ian across the road. This was on the same day, around the same time. This witness is named in the West Cork podcast. Ian said he was in Schull that day but didn't see Sophie. In his account of the murder to Bill Fuller, Ian said 'you saw her walking down the aisle in Spar and her tight arse turned you on' or something very similar.

3 On the road at the bridge at 3am on the night of the murder. Yvonne Ungerer said Ian told her he was seen at the bridge.

So there are three sightings, we know Ian was around the first two places and MF nor the gardai could not have known that in advance of MF making those statements. If MF was making up seeing this man to stitch up Ian Bailey then she also has psychic powers. Ian gave gardai false alibis for sightings 1 and 3.

If MF was making these sightings up, why say Kealfadda Bridge? Why not that she saw him walking down the road from Sophie's? Why not say she saw what looked like blood on him? It was over 1km from the scene, it might have had no connection whatsoever. The killer could have been discovered or been identified by other means at any time after she made those statements and she would have made no difference to the case. Why ring anonymously and refuse to make an official statement even when found out?

The question for Ian, though, is why give two false accounts for where he was when two of these sightings of a man in a long black coat occurred? Did he know MF or her van, or notice it was a little unusual for a woman to be driving that particular commercial vehicle at two odd times, 7am on a Sunday morning and 3am on a Monday morning? Why the campaign of intimidation against her in particular?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As someone else posted, the last 70 pages are going around in circles. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been very useful to have had a stickied synopsis of both sides points, including the DPP report.

Some things that have occurred to me from both series and so far in West Cork;

I have evergreen trees, and I always end up with scratches when I'm topping them, or trimming.

I thought in one programme, it may have been West Cork, that they spoke about having another child, rather than her being pregnant. Also he convinced her to fly home on Christmas Eve, according to him. All very strange coming all the way to Cork to fix the heating, when she had a housekeeper here who could surely let them in.

Baileys memory in drink is hardly a surprise, he couldn't remember where he was the previous night to the murder either, sleeping over on the couch after the party.

He did seem contrite in one of the shows about the battering of Jules. Of course, the "Two to tango" is the one that sticks. They were both alcoholics from what I can make out, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was provocation on the night she ended up in hospital. I'm sure we've all seen drunks winding each other up at some stage? Nothing excuses what he did to her, but she certainly didn't push it on the show, and she didn't seem to mind talking about anything else. I would wonder if she would put her children in harm's way if she really thought Bailey had done it? She had a golden opportunity to be rid of him if she really was afraid. She does come across as desperately sad for him, as she can see what an absolute bellend he is with drink.

I don't know who did it, but if I was on jury, I couldn't see that evidence swaying me to put someone away for life. I do wonder at the Gemma O'Doherty theory, though, that was put together when she was a very good investigative journalist. If he was the one with MF it would be a lot better fit than Ian Bailey.

I thought the Forensic guy Gilligan was the best by far, he seemed to be reasonable in his comments, and very frustrated by decisions made locally judging by his outburst on West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know. The look on some peoples faces when I tell them I had to walk 2km to the nearest village to make a phone call.

People judge everything by the here and now. If they never experienced something then it wasnt ever possible for anyone else to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Has the since deceased GARDA mentioned as the possible driver of the blue ford fiesta ever been identified?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

People make much of fact that IB had been drinking that evening. Yet was able to drive.... surely he would have sobered up by time suggested that Sophie was killed? He is a large man and capable of absorbing a bit more maybe than average chap.

Sophie could have been killed any time between 11pm or so on the 22nd December and around 10am on the morning of 23rd December when she was found.

In the DPP's report https://syndicatedanarchy.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

it states : 'The original questionnaire of Bailey completed on 31 December 1996 asks at question 5 “account of your movements between 9 p.m. Sunday and 9.a.m. Monday, include persons, vehicles met with the times of meeting etc.”

Three lines are provided for the response.

The relevant portion of Bailey’s reply is “then came home about 12 midnight”.'

Is there information somewhere to indicate who was driving? Is there any information to indicate whether he had any more to drink or not after they came home?

Whether he was sober enough to drive or not is largely irrelevant anyway as no car has been identified as being at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I meant he was not too drunk to drive home c midnight if in fact he was the driver.

In other words we don't know how sober or drunk he was or whether he drove home or not but if he was, he was and if he wasn't he wasn't and if he did, he did but if he didn't, he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought after watching it I have some clearer picture of what happened but if anything I'm even more tore as to what to believe, there's so many questions and avenues to go down it just hurts your brain

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Couple of thoughts:

Bailey insisted he never met Sophie and didn't know her yet he proceeded to write numerous trashy tabloid stories about her filled with "personal" sensationalized info. How would he have known any of this if he "didn't know her"?

In the 1st episode of the Sky doc during the video footage of the Christmas Day swim Florence Newman (woman with the video camera) asks Bailey to say something. He answers he doesn't want to comment but asks that she talk to his lawyer. This is 2 days after the murder and well before Bailey was a known suspect. It's a curious remark.

RE: The coat. I think Dwyer's remark about not finding the coat refers to not finding THE coat. i.e.; the one covered in blood. Which very well could have been soaking in a bucket in the bathroom before being burned. It's very possible there was more than one coat owned by Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

why would you soak it in a bucket if you were going to burn it?

1. A journalist doesnt have to know the person personally to be able to write about them. What he wrote about her was based on local gossip.
    2. The comment he made to Florence Newman is the type of humour Bailey uses. It was in bad taste given he was arrested a month later. I dont think a guilty man would have made this comment. In fact I dont think a guilty man would even have went to that event.
    3. The coat - who knows. It is possible he had more than 1 coat. We'll never know the truth about the coats.
    Post edited by Deeec on

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

If you want to get really "out there" on motives and potential perps go to the Da Vinci Code.

The Priory of Sion was first "revealed" by Philippe Toscan du Plantier who either doesn't exist or is her husband Daniel's brother. Personally I would like to see some proof "Philippe" was not in fact "Daniel".

Also the recent revelation that some members of the French intelligence service DGSE are (I kid you not) operating a Masonic hit squad.

I still cannot post links. Google Priory of Sion Philipe Toscan du Plantier and DGSE masonic hit squad.

yes, there's no evidence he knew Sophie - though I'm sure he knew of her ...

if he'd actually spent some time with her he would have told everybody in Schull (at least twice) and he probably would have written some bad poetry about her in his journals - she is never referenced in any of his writing

🤣Your're actually right. There is no way he would have kept it quiet.

I'm not so sure, he was friendly with John Montague at one time, who would have been a bigger name around there. I don't remember hearing about him boasting about this or writing about it in his diaries.

• Advertisement

Easier to clean a large article of clothing rather than have it disappear. If the cleaning doesn't work then burning would be a last resort.

IB denied having a bonfire around Christmas but when challenged in court that he told journalist Brighid McLaughlin he did burn clothes because there was turkey blood on them he protested that he when told her this it was supposed to be 'off the record'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement