Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm really trying, but it's just bloody grim. The navigation is still a disaster, and there's issues that have been just left there for such a long time. Hard to fathom how the loading is still so bloody slow, even though usage must have shrunk by at least half. No idea what's going on here anymore to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Yes,

although like others, I find myself using the site far, far less and with a much narrower field of forums than before, mostly down to the spectacular dogs dinner that Vanilla has coughed up and told us is navigation. The loss of "My Forums" compounds that lamentable state of affairs.

I am concerned to see forums like the politics forum become ghost towns; the Brexit thread (whatever its incarnation) typically has dozens of new posts in the space of a couple of hours away from the site. Now if there's a dozen in a day it's "busy". Other forums that I frequent whilst not the busiest are now practically catatonic.

Also, Cloudlands/Dark mode please. For the love of fvcking fvckity fvcking fvck (and my eyeballs).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No.

I had pretty much stopped using it anyway due to an admin cycling through my posts on a daily basis to see what he could card but I can’t see myself being a regular user again.

I’m pretty much just watching from the sidelines out of curiosity to see how restrictive posting becomes and how long before any negative mention of the changeover is deemed an infringement and you can already see it starting.

I think this will ultimately go down as the thing that killed the site but a small number of volunteers been given free reign to control the discourse was equally as damaging, it was just taking longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Yes

Yes I will use but I find the layout just does not work form me tbh, so I'm just visiting less than before and come back in the hope that this latest layout changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Higgledy-Piggledy

Have any of the boards owners or top admin made any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

No

I think I've about 5 posts since the change. I mostly browse on mobile and it's not great. I certainly won't be using as much as I did, its just so hard to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes, but far far less

No Dark Mode and No My Forums is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes

Yes, it's nowhere near as easy to use etc but still though I've pretty much stopped using the mobile version though which would account for the majority of my activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Still using it for some stuff - had car trouble and looked for help, updated the thread of my local LOI teams as I've been doing for years.

But wandering into forums like CA and posting there? No, too much trouble to navigate, too many clicks to get there, too slow to load.

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

The one thing that will really kill this site if it's not resolved is the speed at which pages load. It is chronic and I haven't seen any change to it yet.

You could just about suck up the other stuff and adapt, but the speed is a deal breaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Is there an app and if so can you point me in the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Have I turned something off, have I been restricted, or wtf am I doing wrong?

I can't open/ start a new discussion....

Yes

Hopefully one of the unintended consequences of the crap search facility is that the mod on the soccer forum who cycled through my posts on a daily basis to see what he could card is frustrated!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yes

Less and less as time goes by and no proper fixes are implemented. I'm only here still for the Forum Games community if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yes

I used to come to the site multiple times a day.

With the new interface, I come once a day at the very most.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes

I will but I find myself increasingly reduced to just posting in a handful of bookmarked threads whereas before with followed forums I'd have found a lot more to post in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

No

Exactly how i feel, i may check back in from time to time, but my usage will drop of.

If Boards dies off it will be slowly and a direct result of the changes [I would not dare call THIS an update]

Boards hadn't been making money for some time so chances are the owners would like to dispense with it. Any stats on what % traffic is down since the move ? In 2020 boards was the 45th most popular site in Ireland

Yes, but like numerous others, it’s a “watch and see whether it improves” approach. I used to check boards.ie regularly, now it’s less than once a day. Forums hard to find, slow, pages hop about as different ads load and so on. I think it will gradually die, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

No

It was 21st in 2018 and the most recent i can find is 45th :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No

Will leave my account open, but use it far less. I’d say I’ve made around a previous day’s worth of posts in the three weeks since the ‘improvements’. All as a direct result of the improvements.

I have a feeling my last post will be ‘told you so’ when they announce the site is shutting down.

Shame. When it was good, it was great. Boards, ya done fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,104 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

No

Same for me as well, rarely log in compared to before due to these shambolic changes.

I expect the forum will be gone in a year or two, many others will give up due to how unusable it is and I don't blame them. Forums shouldn't be hard work to use ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ll keep using it but all the threads/forums I followed are dead now. No posts in days. It’s just boring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If they want to dispense with it then why buy it? they would have been aware of the issues when they bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yes

Have and will be using it allot less, the IT team don't believe in iterative design it would seem and have put a really bad UI that's not very intuitive. Getting my fill these days from the likes of reddit which makes it easier to follow topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes

I'll stick with it but it needs to liven up, 3-4 posts a day on a thread is seriously worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No

It was 45th because of the lockdowns, people literally couldn’t move more than 2km from their homes at one point so they logged on here.

with the mess of a transition to this new platform, and a blatant disregard for users and user data and privacy, the site will be dead in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can't say I've actively used or browsed since the change. I'm right in thinking I'm not being dense that there's no easy way to jump about the site? Like before I'd use the drop downs to bounce to my usual spots to see what's going on but that no longer exists so now it's just scrolling through a list and as such I mostly just can't be bothered.

Poor boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

For the time being yes, but far far less than I had been. There are literally 3 threads I've subscribed to and that I read, previous browsing and other random threads I used to dip in to is non existent.

Imo irreparable damage has been done to the site, its fcuking horrible to use. The "fixes" that are being mooted will not change the overall usability/ look of the site so the damage will see more and more people drift away. It's already happening.

The data breach could also potentially have huge ramifications for the sites life and it could be a case that it's taken out of users hands and the whole thing ends up being torpedoed due to it.

The whole thing is a case study for how to make a complete and utter bollox of redesigning a website.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

No

I'd like to continue using it but it's become an abomination to navigate so I'm already drifting away. I log on each day as usual only to close out fairly quick because it's too difficult to explore new threads and too clunky to check in on threads I follow. The system of bold/non-bold being dumped in favour of envelopes is one of the thousands of little examples where edgy, new design was prioritised to the detriment of simplistic function.

They changed too much, too quick. This is the design of a new site starting up from scratch and it has left long time users like me and plenty of others frustrated and disinterested.

It truly is shocking to me that this design was signed off on. And that's my thoughts on the desktop site. I've logged onto the mobile site once and will never return - it truly was borne from the depths of hell.

Advertisement