Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Very fair point. Kilkenny got a few raw deals and a few decisions went against Limerick that were not pulled up before. The only saving grace for this squad is they are know as footballing side. We dont have "stoppers" like other sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

According to Willie Jo blog tickets going through the clubs .He's properly right on this occasion .

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I am 3000 miles away so don’t have any evidence, just what my eyes show me and something is just not right this year. Fenton was very quiet yesterday and everyone can have days like that but this year I have noticed him being more emotional, getting involved in some after the ball is gone stuff and mouthing off, he was never like that before, he was calmness personified. I thought some of our shooting yesterday especially in the first half was very un-Dublin like, I also thought we had some chances and did not pull the trigger. I think Rock’s reaction to being subbed was also something “new” and worrying. The Cluxton, Mannion and McCaffrey exits raised my eyebrows too. I have seen it in other sports, it’s the 2nd season after a very successful manager/coach leaves when the cracks begin to appear.

I’m old (and lucky) enough to remember the resurgence of the Dubs back in 1974 and the great run we had until 1978 when the wheels fell off the wagon. I think we are about to see the wheels fall off again, I just hope it’s a little less painful than the final in 1978 where we were destroyed by Kerry. It’s hard to believe the run this group has had since 2011, never thought I would see the likes of it and enjoyed every minute of it. On a selfish note if the wheels do fall off I hope the Kickhams lads say enough is enough and return to the club for the remainder of their playing careers.

Hope I’m wrong!!!!!!!! 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

God help us if that's what we've got coming through. I'll just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One point in the entirety of the first half...

• Advertisement

Meath with the first point after good work by Dublin, the ball is literally dropped and Meath point the free..

There's dark days ahead for our senior side going on the evidence of what I've witnessed in the U20 and now Minor Leinster Finals.

pretty grim result from Tullamore bad week for the underage

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

What followed after the 1995 All Ireland win. One provincial win in nine years. One solitary semi-final appearance in that time,as well as being knocked out off Leinster by Laois and Westmeath in consecutive years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

That was a very poor U/17/Minor performance. They are only juveniles really at end of day and a year could make some difference to a lot of them and new players will come along. Appeared the occasion got to the players with so many basic errors. However we have good U/20s despite the defeat to Offaly who were very good against Cork.

We never really challenge at minor yet we get players coming through to senior squad. U/17 is very young to be judging players. We have seen many prodigies over the years who never got to play senior in both codes.

The one thing we do need to look at is skills coaching. So much from a young age is based around winning juvenile leagues and we take our eye off the development of skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Plus the the AI final losses in 92, 94 and the SF in 93 all collectively really hurt as well. Especially after that loss in the Leinster 'four in a row' in 91 to Meath. That one AI between 1984 and 2010 inclusive does not cover a lot of the hurt. Especially considering Dublin had justifiable 'notions' for a lot of it. In my opinion in every decade a football team like Dublin should be winning 2/3 AI's a decade. Anything less is underachievement. KK/Tipp would think the same in hurling. If not something is going wrong somewhere. When Kerry did not win Sam between 87 to 96 inclusive, it was a real crisis!

I believe it was Colm Parkinson who said in a conversation with Alan Brogan when he was a young fella. That Brogan said at time he was guaranteed an AI. Parkinson asked him why.

Brogan said if he plays for Dublin for about 10 years or so, and on average Dublin won about at least one Sam in that period. 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's etc.

On reflection I think it was a terrible underachievement for Dublin football, one AI per decade or so is just not good enough. It happened for a variety of reasons I suppose more suitable for discussions on other threads. It is even worse when you consider that many of those very early winning Dublin football teams in the GAA were full of Non-Dubs so it was not really a Dublin team until very late in GAA history.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

we certainly underacheived for a very long time it used to bug me when i hear a dublin player called a great and he has one medal for his efforts that is nothing to what a great should have in a top county .If things had been organised correctly we should have been the county to win in any average year with the numbers possible and not the likes of Kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah and other counties players/fans used to be sniggering at Dublin behind their hands. 'Ah sure the Dubs bring great colour' etc. Meanwhile they went away with the medals.

-

Anyway back to the present day. I figure there will be some scramble for tickets for th AI SF. Mayo are hungry feckers for tickets normally. It is definitely has a nice set up to it.

I can't see Tyrone winning in the other SF. If they do it will be one of the greatest shocks probably since Donegal beat Dublin in 2014. Mayo I think have the best chance for years. At that is trying to look at it objectively.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Disaster of a start for the girls 0-01 1-02 down. Been careless in possession but as I type a great goal chance but a good save by the Donegal keeper but a chance that should have been taken... a huge slice of luck for the Donegal goal the ball wasn’t going anywhere near in but the huge amount of spin on the ball and it’s in the net... and just there very unlike Sinead Ahern to miss a handy free. Plenty of skullduggery by the Donegal girls, lots or arm pulling and stuff off the ball.

Dublin more composed now, keeping Donegal scoreless for about six minutes now.. Dublin having a second goal ruled out forva dubious enough free, another goal chance for Dublin halted by a cynical rugby tackle, no sign of a card. She points the resulting free. 1-04 1-02 for Dublin. Donegal player dives to win a free but it’s put wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I said it yesterday half joking but honestly I have no idea what the rules of the game are anymore. When is a yellow card a black card? When is denying a goal scoring opportunity a penalty or a free outside the large rectangle (see the hurlers against Cork)? Consistent reffing is all you want but is sadly lacking in both codes now.

Between the absolute balls the GAA and government made of the intercounty game coupled with refs that aren't fit to be in charge of a Junior D game it's all a bit MEH right now and is turning supporters and players off the game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The quality of the officiating whether I’m watching or shouting for the Dubs or as a neutral or whatever, it’s really gone to the dogs.

looked just about to getting to grips with the match then the goal game back on

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

• Advertisement

well done to the ladies deserved win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin v Mayo double so.

sour grapes too by Maxi Curran regarding Donegal Dublin match. Blaming the ref on his team's poor showing.

I'm not sure what more the ref could have done for them.

having a right moan he is

Yes after a difficult start too and against a quite physical Donegal team....

Maxi Curran trying to blame the referee then after his tirade against the ref .. “ look I’m not trying to blame the referee here... “ you have just spent the last two minutes on national TV trying to do exactly that 😂

if the referee made some strange calls his side certainly benefitted from the lions share of them, eejit.

It was pure guff from him. He gave no clear examples of where he felt they were hard done by. In fact, watching the game and the Donegal ladies were getting some awful handy frees throughout the game. And let's not even start on the disallowed goal. God above, I'm starting to hate this sport :)

Fitness levels have never been higher, the quality of football when played properly and given a chance hasn’t been higher...male and female...

im starting to think that the breakneck speed at which the game is played now, the determination by a couple of counties to bridge a skills gap by using tactical fouling as a manner of narrowing the gap... and it’s not just a problem in Dublin vs Xxx county, we are seeing it in multiple football games over a weekend... we saw a bad high forearm that was just penalized by a free, could have seriously injured someone, pure dangerous and a ‘challenge’ only made with the intention of slowing down the Dublin attack... not good for the game...

i wonder basically is it time to look at bringing in another referee or what is the solution ? I personally think now, the speed at which the game is played, it’s too much for one referee, the ball is moved much more quickly, more dynamically ...a ref in each half ? When the ball is in the other half the ‘spare’ referee can monitor for off the ball shîte...

referees need to get tougher, more cards or more of a willingness to use cards for cynical fouling and dangerous stuff... the referees have it difficult with the pure speed of the modern game, the fitness levels etc....but there is also the issue of just their just needing up up a level themselves.

A ref in each half certainly wouldn't do any harm providing they actually ref what's in front of them. At the moment we have 7 officials per game and 6 of them seem to be recruited from the school for the blind. There are no excuses for some of the stuff consistently missed by refs, like that high tackle you mentioned which was nothing but a nasty stroke.

You'd think that HQ would want to promote open free flowing football/hurling yet we have the exact opposite being rewarded now. I lost count of the amount of times we were penalized or just got nothing at the weekend for lads having their arm grabbed as they went past a man. Happened to Kilkenny 2/3 times in the first half where he couldn't actually hop/solo the ball as the defender had a hold of his arm. Then you see Colm's goal chalked off when the same was happening to him. And don't get me started on the Flynn goal. Fouled McCarthy and then shouldered Cooper in the chest barging through, yet that one is allowed stand for the simple reason it was not a Dub player doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

A referee in each half would be an absolute disaster .

Look at all the refs now and how different they interpret the rules . And how some double down on different parts of the game ie some are sticky when it comes to over carrying, some picking the ball off the ground , some about the tackle

Now imagine them 2 refs doing the same game . Carnage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ciaran whelan must be one of the unluckiest top quality Dublin players ever not to win an AI. He couldn’t of picked a worse time period to be our best midfielder.

Incidentally, him and Shane Ryan were a great midfield partnership. A signature explosive period of 5-10 mins was enough to beat most teams. Wasn’t enough to beat Mayo in that 2006 game that still hurts when I think about it. There was a feeling of that kind of explosive period after the water break against Meath and it worried me.

I was at the meath games in 1991, they were part of the reason I really got Into the sport. There were some really tough years for us Dubs between up to 2008.

Advertisement