Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Prices in the mart are well back down here in Kerry now if you were full sure the nortern buyers were around ring you could chance mart but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

Sold a 700 kg lm this week at 1450. She wasn’t near fit to kill but had a bit of cover. Middle of the road type.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Nice to make a decent touch the odd time ! Bought a red HEX 12 months old in April 2020 out of a yard at €850. He was in a very mixed bunch with a couple of AAX and another older HEX. Could see he had a bit of shape to him so definitely out of a suckler cow. Killed last week at 27 months.

Gross dead weight 504kg. Paid on 493kg R+3- no deductions and HE bonus.

Had 3 other black HEX with him and they all graded Rs. Delighted with weights and grades. One lad over fat alright but he more than made up for it with weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Tileman

€2306 I couldn't believe it. He was a smashing bullock. If he killed out at 54/55% he was around 900kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What weight was he when you bought him. If he was a ch you’d be delighted never mind a wh. Did he have much meal in him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

That was a superb result. Grossing €90 per month, over €1,000 per annum. Well done!

Hard to know exactly as I bought him out of a yard. Reckon he was maybe 440/450kg tops. Have my doubts about the validity of his DOB, I reckon he was in the rushes for a while.

Got 3kg of a "super beef" nut for the last 6 weeks. From Jan 1st to Paddy's day he was getting 2.5kg of barley and a beef nut mixed. Changed ration last winter and I'm thinking it's better quality altogether. I have 4 more black HEX to go next week and I reckon they'll all grade R as well going by what these lads achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Anyone getting anything better than €4.25 steers and €4.30 heifers. Factories seem to be trying to pull them but prices holding so far.

usual ploy at this time of year to panic farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

Got 4.28 base for Steers this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any quotes or indications for the coming week?

This thread is gone fierce quiet. Must be a silent protest against the new look boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Like some protests, the 'protesters' from here are only shooting themselves in the foot, looseing a valid platform.

Instead of being the 'big' person, and yapping about the layout of the new, they could be the 'bigger' person and just learn to adjust.

No word of quotes tho as yet personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't know about that..... there looks to be plenty going on elsewhere on boards

suppose it’ll be tomorrow before we hear a bit more. Would expect 4.25/4.30 for steers/heifers. Can’t see a rise coming but they continue to hold at that, it’ll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

It’s not a form of protest, I’m struggling with it, find it hard to read or reply. I’m sure we will get used to it in time but it will take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

But your trying, others have complained, just like usual, and are ignoring boards.ie at the moment. Their choice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness ...its awkward to navigate around

It feels like a backward step in terms of UI to me.....i could navigate to forums I liked to read with the dropdown menus ...wtf woukd you remove that

I could find all my posts under statistics in my profile...again why get rid of useful functionality like that

Feels like the UI wasn't tested at all.or boards sold a pup etc

Upgrades shouldn't be retrograde imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The threads you opened are still there, scroll down to title "New Discussions" below, under the heading "My Discussions" you will find your posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brought a double and single of a mix of p/o cows last week @ 3.85 flat.

Post edited by Base price on

You can navigate to the forums that you prefer by hitting the star symbol near the heading, it will change colour. When you click on your Avatar it will show options, click on the star icon, it will show which forums you selected as favourites, it seems to be limited to a max of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve an agent to get back to me tomorrow/Wednesday with a quote on a load non QA bullocks. I’ll post it here when I hear from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. Obviously from my post count I’m not the most regular visitor here anyway but I’m definitely here less since the upgrade. Apart from the horrendous layout on the mobile and how much harder it is to read with the new layout, it seems to be taking a lot more “power” for the phone to operate the site.

Excuse my ignorance because I know absolutely nothing about how websites work or the technology in the background but it seems my phone, a 3 year old iPhone, is not able to drive the new site like it used to the old. I just wait until I’m home at night and connected to WiFi to use it now because it’s outrageous slow otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is much more content in the pages there fore its much slower to load. Unless your coverage is excellent navigations is slow. As well when you load a page of a thread you always end up at the top of the page you have to scroll down to bottom. I think there is about double the posts per page so this takes time. If you navigated from the old software you were at the last post that you had read. Another issue is trying to get back to you posts with the mobile version you need to scroll back to top of page and hit the start to get you posts up. Previous you just hit the back button and my threads. Trying to use desktop version on a mobile is a disaster.

Everything is slower. I have found it easier to find stuff but it extremely slow to use. Even to edit a post when it opens it you have to scroll down to edit post. It just constant scrolling

Slava Ukrainii

If you select "farming & forestry" beneath the "leave a comment" box below, it will take you back to the home screen, and will act as a place marker the next time you select the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Holy Moses thats some price, fair place, there's no one getting the colour of that down here. Its great to see .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yeah good money when you consider this week last year we got a base of 3.75 base for under 30 month bullocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sold cattle in the mart yesterday €1,510 - 635 kg FR (he was a fair O Grade) sending his buddies to the factory this morning would guess heavier but not the shape probably O- / P+, I am getting €4.20 flat plus QA if they make it, but I think he has done better in the mark. The other cattle I had were LMx and AAx, got from €2.53 lw - €2.64 lw for them, so over all happy with them. I was saying this to the factory agent this morning as he was loading the Frs, he said he brought in 3 loads to the mart yesterday from lads who would always go to the factory and he has a double to collect out of it later on today for the factory, he was say the factories have to buy them in the mart as they aren't getting them into their yards. It was strange at the mart yesterday, there wasn't 20 buyers in the places but the auctioneer couldn't keep up with the bids that were coming in on line for the heavy cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Huge difference in value of cattle that are O+/= compared to P. That Friesian would have made about 1430 in the factory grading O+ at a base of 4.25 in reality he was 28c/kg ahead of the base. Looking at a lot of mart pricing it not necessarily ahead of factory pricing from what I see over the last few weeks. However the amount of cattle going through the marts is definately slowing any concerted effort at a pull in prices IMO

A 630 kg LW AA or Hereford should kill 320-330 kgs with the AA hanging at the higher end. At a base of 3.25 they would come into 1400-1450 euro grading O+/=. I do not seem them making any more than that in the mart.

Thrive is gone out of places in last three weeks as grass growth slowed. On dryer farms there is no grass. Have blanket spread 20-25 units of N accross the farm. The rain this week will help but it will be 6-10 days before I have grass. Feeding one bunch bales in the field have plenty of them so not under pressure.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement