Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I bought a CD from Japan last month - cost was €45. The Fedex bill was €25 - made up of €10 VAT + €15 handling charge.

Vat is 50% for CDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Vat is 50% for CDs?

No - the VAT was 23% - €10 based on a €45 price.

Then Fedex lob on €15 as a "handing" fee.

So I paid €45 + €25 = €70

Could be worse; UPS fee is €18.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Hi,

If I order an item of clothing (shoes) from a UK company and it states that import duties are included in cost (when I select Ireland as delivery destination), does this mean that I will not be charged any duty or vat when they are delivered to me.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes, that should be the case. It would help if you actually said what company it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Sure - it is brownsfashion.com who are based in the UK.

Any change of view now after seeing that?

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Sure - it is brownsfashion.com who are based in the UK.

Any change of view now after seeing that?

Mike

Ireland is on their list of countries where VAT/imports are covered so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

From today Aliexpress are adding Irish VAT at checkout time. There should be nothing further payable when it arrives in ireland.

https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Amazon still have errors in their VAT system - they had them in 2017-2019 as well
    For example: hearing aid batteries are exempt in IE, but 23% is added on checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Vat is 50% for CDs?

Vat is 23%, Import duty is seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ordered a BD from Amazon UK last weekend. Cost £17.99. As was customary for items under the threshold, they removed the UK VAT and didn't add on any Irish VAT (aka Import Fees Deposit) so I was charged £14.17.
    Posted 2 July.
    Arrived today 3 July. No extra charge from An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You got lucky.
    By rights you should have been charged both VAT and a handling fee by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Has anyone ordered from iherb recently? I'm looking to place an order that looks like this:

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I see the below message when I go to checkout but will I need to pay additional an additional customs charge or has it already been factored in?

"Starting July 1st, the EU ended the low-value consignment relief for shipments equal to or less than €22 for goods to the EU from outside the EU based on arrival date. From July 1st, based on the order date, iHerb is registered in the Import-One-Stop-Shop (IOSS) and will collect, declare, and pay the VAT to the tax authorities for distance sales of imported goods with a value not exceeding €150."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

sterz wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered from iherb recently? I'm looking to place an order that looks like this:

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I see the below message when I go to checkout but will I need to pay additional an additional customs charge or has it already been factored in?

"Starting July 1st, the EU ended the low-value consignment relief for shipments equal to or less than €22 for goods to the EU from outside the EU based on arrival date. From July 1st, based on the order date, iHerb is registered in the Import-One-Stop-Shop (IOSS) and will collect, declare, and pay the VAT to the tax authorities for distance sales of imported goods with a value not exceeding €150."

Its hard to say, based on that order summary. It depends on the actual products ordered. Some iHerb products would be zero rated, others would attract 23% VAT.

Assuming that iHerb have set their VAT rates up correctly, and that shipping is properly treated for incoming VAT purposes, it may be safe to assume you'll be ok. But, without seeing the order detail, its not possible to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

4.89 is 13.5% of the value for tax purposes €36.21 (goods plus shipping plus insurance).

Food supplements* are rated at 13.5%, so that would suggest they have something set up right, and are taking it at source, but as Tom says you'd want to know the specific goods to be sure.

* More info and examples here - https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-food-supplements.pdf

One product I'm looking to order appears on the list of examples provided in that link and the other doesn't (I know the list isn't exhaustive but the product is a food supplement) so I guess that will be the full cost and I won't be hit with an additional fee once they arrive.

I wish I knew for sure though as if I was to order multiples of these products it would reduce the cost per capsule somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

sterz wrote: »

Item cost 24.10
    Shipping DHL 12.11
    Duties and taxes 4.89
    Total 41.10

I ordered from iherb in April 2021 - chose DPD (not DHL) duty paid. Duties & taxes were €3.85. Total order was €46.61 (incl duties). Postage was free because the order was above the required level. Package arrived quickly and no further payment was required.

Thanks. Off-topic but what were the delivery times like? DPD is saying 15th - 22nd whereas DHL is 7th - 15th. Wondering if there's that much of a difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

From memory DPD were about 8-9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

What's the process with An Post for paying vat/customs? Expecting something that's coming from Royal Mail via An Post. Is it an online payment? If so, will I get a text letting me know it needs to be paid or should I just keep an eye on the tracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Do I need to pay extra if I buy from zavvi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did you check the Zaavi website?

I don’t think they changed it since the vat exemption changed but it was fine ordering from them before cos everything was under 22€ usually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, their items have been inclusive of Irish vat since the start of the year with brexit.

I have received 2 requests by email for vat due. payment is online or in post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks for that. Got it delivered this morning and there was no VAT/Customs due for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭micks_address

apologies if answered before. How do anpost figure out a value of an item if the sender has marked it down when posting? Especially say for a private sale? if someone from england posts a something of 1k value to dublin but marks it as value of 100 pounds.. this isn't an ebay purchase so there's no invoice/order details.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They'll probably google it. Not really a topic for discussion, as it's sailing close to the wind with the Forum charter and the first post in this thread.

If they see that the item is clearly undervalued they will look up the price of similar items and use that as the value.

How do you get a request for vat if you don’t have a registered email to your address so they leave a card in the box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Hello

Bought second hand phone on ebay, paid vat at checkout, seller left IOSS payment info on the package itself about payment. Package arrived to Ireland and anpost charged me with Vat again saying that there was no IOSS information. Send they emails 3 with questions after 3rd which was include pictures of the package with that information there were talking about....no response since then. Horrible ugly scammers they are, they do what they want. Is there any other way who I can contact. Its 34e but just for pure justice won't let them off the hook.

Regards

Advertisement