Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Worth saying the driving range was irons only last time I was there.

I'm out Monday, hopefully miss the rain

Was there last Saturday and we were hitting drivers too but the member I was playing with was surprised that we were allowed to hit them!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Does anyone know what the European Club are doing for August?

Dooks/Waterville this week. Can't wait.

Played Carne on the weekend. In great condition and what a day it was weather wise. Greens weren't too fast but quick enough. Its a lot better sign posted since i played it last so is a lot easier to get around for newbies now. Couldnt get food after as they were too busy which was a bit disappointing.

Playing Portmarnock, RCD and Ardglass this weekend. Cant wait. I imagine they are going to be playing very tough with the great weather hardening up the ground.

Is it the Red/Blue course that is the championship course?

Yeah Red/Blue is championship. Some say the yellow is as good as. Certainly looks it from the holes you can see. Tried to play yellow when we played the championship last year and make it a 27 hole day but they fobbed us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

The Yellow is very close in quality and has a couple of the best holes on the links. Its green designs and the scale of the last couple of holes brings it down a notch on the Championship course (Red / Blue).

But unlike most 27 hole links, it shares one thing in common with Carne - you shouldn’t be disappointed whichever nines you are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Absolutely unreal day out in Corballis yesterday. Barely a breath of wind despite being right on the sea. Didn't come out in the photo but on the 6th. hole you could see the fire of Howth hill.

EDIT: I have no idea why the photos have come out sideways when attached. And this new boards layout is so shít I'm not going to try fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

for those thinking about a spin out to corballis, 8th hole has a temp green until at least the end of the summer. Someone in the caravan park got a smack of a golf ball last weekend. Residents in there have been complaining for some time about the balls coming in ontop of them. The net in place was not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Played Cashen, Ballybunnion and Tralee last week for the first time. Started with Cashen, very hilly, narrow fairways with high rough plus quite a few blind drives which was annoying as thought hit good drives to get over hill to see deep rough and ball gone. It tore us all apart and probally lost about 15 balls between us. Not a bad course but no comparison to the other 2.

Ballybunnion was lovely in great condition great holes from around 7 I think with the beach on the right. Really enjoyed it, one of players was not able to make it due to work and he had paid the green fee. They wouldn't do anything for him not even a €10 credit in the pro shop or maybe a reduced rate in future, found that poor form.

Tralee was my favourite, they were so friendly and welcoming. Course is spectacular, front 9 is the best 9 holes I have ever played with views of the water from nearly every tee box. All the par 3s were great thankfully no wind some of them on a windy day would nearly be hitting a 3w!! 18 was the only real weak hole, it now goes down my Fav course.

Great to play these bucket list courses, might be only time as won't be paying €250 to play them. Place we stayed said booked out for next 2 years with Yanks.

Had a great weekend of Golf. Played Portmarnock, RCD and Ardglass.

Was very impressed with Portmarnock and especially RCD. RCD is some challenge, and would love another craic at it especially as it was the hardest to pick lines etc with the blind Teeshots. Was so hard to judge distances as the fairways were completely burnt and the ball was running miles. Highlight for me was getting an eagle on the 12th par 5. We did encounter a snobby rude member who told us to pick up and move on. There was a 2 ball match coming up behind us, they only caught up to us on that hole so we had planned on letting them through next hole. We needed to speed up but he could have gone about it a lot nicer way. We were also delayed on that hole 3/4 minutes looking for a ball which another member/spectator had picked up just at the end of the fairway.

Portmarnock was a great course too, but for me I would prefer RCD. It reminded me a lot of Baltray, a flatter links, but still a fantastic course. The members we encountered were way more approachable. Greens were unbelievably quick. Really

Ardglass was a nice course too, obviously not to the standard of the other 2, but very friendly place and a nice test. Also had a great sale on in the proshop, 30% off Peter Millar stuff which is lovely gear.

My Top 5 Links now:

1. Royal Portrush
    2. Royal County Down
    3. Baltray
    4. Portmarnock
    5. Carne

Dooks and Waterville last Thursday and Friday. Dooks in particular was hit 30 Degrees at ~ 16:30 and was pretty Intense. Bit of cloud cover for some of Waterville on the Friday but still seriously hot. An all time trip. On a day like that i'm not sure you'll get better scenery in Ireland than a 4 hour walk around Dooks. Waterville was just awesome. Just a fantastic, tough, fun golf course. Loved it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It is. €70 for Portmarnock Links is absolute robbery. It used to be expensive at €50 for opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

In the last 2 weeks have played Ballybunnion, Tralee and Baltray. I would rate the 1st 2 way ahead of Baltray. This is the 3rd time played Baltray and still don't get what the fuss is about, it wouldn't be in my top 10. No great views, no hole I went WOW, didn't think any of the Par 3 were particularly special in comparison to say Tralee. My Top 5 links not played any of the N Ireland ones or Carne. The Links course that still causes me the most pain is Arklow 😁

1 Tralee

2 Lahinch

3 Enniscrone

4 Ballybunnion

5 European (tend to forget about that one)

6 One of Donegal ones (can't decide) do like Portsalon just for the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Off to St. Andrews on August 25th and 26th.

Courtesy of a new package deal almost unquestionably created for the UK and Irish market to make up for the dollar loss caused by the pandemic, but it has allowed us to secure times on the New and Old Course at very short notice. Still not at all cheap but a chance to take the pilgrimage that all golfers surely would hope to make with the 2 bros and the old man was too tempting to turn down.

Fingers and toes crossed we get half decent weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Any chance of a link to that deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Literally taken down in the last 24hrs. The same link brings you to two new packages which are not dissimilar however:

https://www.standrews.com/the-150th-open/the-150th-open-old-course-packages-registration

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Off to Waterville in a week and then hopefully Tralee in September. Anyone played Waterville? Can't see any hole descriptions

Except it's not robbery at all

Portmarnock links is a fine golf course. I don't think it belongs on the top shelf of courses in this country but at 70 quid you get alot of golf for your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point Open Week starting this Saturday. Course is immaculate at the minute.

https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was planning on playing Rosses this Sunday but life has gotten in the way.

Can certainly attest to it being in great condition, it was when we played it a couple of weeks ago. It's always in great condition but just seemed to be even more pristine at time (the greens were running a little slower than usual but I'm guessing that was something to do with the great spell of weather? I.e not wanting to burn them out if cut too tight)

Enniscrone was also in fantastic condition, greens seemed to be running the same as Rosses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's all in front of you, no real blind shots there, enjoy, it's extremely isolated so away from it all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

If you think that place is on the top shelf of courses in this country I’d question how many of the better links courses you’ve played around the country...unless it’s a very big shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Any good open weeks or open events coming up in september?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Lahinch have some 'member guest event' opens on brs for 80 quid a fourball. It might be a mistake but it's a public website and they took the money. Worth a shout.

Surely you will have to have a member with you? Cant see them letting visitors out for the 20 without a member.

Maybe but if it requires a member then it shouldn't be publicly available. It's on a website specifically for open events.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Seems to have disappeared now?

Yes, I got an email saying it was a mistake and I'll be refunded. Some things are too good to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well done in chancing your arm though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement